Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting find.... The HERD name use for decades.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting find.... The HERD name use for decades.

A skydiving organization called the HERD was founded as far back as the early 1980's and is still around.

Apparently, they also have a motorcycle club that schedules rides.....

June 14-17, 2007 - "Herd motorcycle club" and others annual bike trip (alternative to Laconia). Cumberland Maryland and Vicinity.

Link: http://eatanddrinkmikemcnamara88.com...s_Schedule.php

How this started:

I was talking to a neighbor of mine, I was wearing my HERD t-shirt and he began telling me of a group called the HERD that his father belonged to, when he skydived. They are responsible for holding the record of the fastest 10 man mid-air star recorded in 1991. They still present demonstrations today, and hold events called "HERD Boogie".

Link: http://www.skydivingmagazine.com/backissu/1991.htm

Issue #123: 09/16/1991
    '91 Herd Boogie Supplied Aerial and Ground Fun; Sky-div'ing by Bill Fitzsimons; Body Flight by Chris Landon; Manifest Master by John Musgrave; FAA Exempts Jump Pilots from Drug-testing Regulations; Texas DZ Welcomes New TCA; ESPN Agrees to Air Freestyle Program; Hitting the Magic Track; The Parachute Center: Rapid-Fire Skydiving; Aircraft Problems Ground 160-Way Attempt; Plans Announced for 1992 World Free Fall Convention: No C-130, Fewer Programs; Entanglement Causes Tandem Reserve Malfunction; Pair Injured in Tandem Accident; Entanglement Kills Utah AFF Student; Main-Reserve Entanglement Injures Jumper; Montana Boogie: Friendly & Fun; FAA Office Steps Up Support of Georgia DZ; Local Team Wins 20-Way Meet; Polish Boogie Featured Choppers; City Acts to Evict Florida DZ; Teams from France and the U.S. Win World RW Meet; Couch Freak Boogie a Blast With 850 Participants

One of the members:

1980: Roger Nelson became a Lifetime member of USPA.

Officially announced that upsidedown flying was Freak flying. Freak Flying: Freak means any maneuver having one or more parts intentionally falling back to earth or upside-down. Flying means other than falling. Nelson discovered Freak Flying in the fall of 1978. "I believe anything is possible and that Freak Flying (FF) is a tremendous expansion of relative work because it's no way as easy as many people assume."

Party of the Year: Aug. 8-10 Big Foot WI 5th Annual Freak Brothers Convention. 600 attended. Aircraft: 2 Twin Otters, 3 DC-3s, 11 Beech, 2 C-182s. 1076 jumps were made from the otters alone. The weather-hampered convention saw the Herd doing the fastest 10-man formation. The Herd exited from port-o-lets and dove into a mud field to form a 10-way in 4.7 sec.

Link: http://islandfreepress.org/2010Archi...heIslands.html

Events for Sunday, July 4:

• 9 a.m.-- Flag raising ceremony. School Road, School Circle by Ocracoke Boy Scouts.

• 9:30 a.m until noon – 34th annual Sand Sculpture Contest at the NPS Life Guard Beach.

• 11 a.m. – Church Services at Ocracoke Assembly of God Church and Ocracoke United Methodist Church.

• 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. Ocracoke Ponies. At the Pony Pens north of the village.

• 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. – Classic Cars on the lawn at Pony Island Motel pool area. Sponsored by Jimmy Jackson

• 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. -- Ocracoke Lighthouse open for public viewing. Walking suggested since there is very limited parking.

• 1 p.m. – The Herd sky diving team on the Pony Island Motel lawn. Time may vary because of weather conditions.

Then I find this......

Another use of the name as far back as the 1970's....

The HERD is the name of the Moutnain Lakes Football Team, still used today.

HERD Alumni: Dating back to the 1970's to present.

Link: http://www.herdalumni.com/
    Last edited by Dave63; 07-19-2010, 05:36 PM.
    **Note: The technical info I provide is suggestive. I am not a perfeshunel.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Never heard about a motorcycle club named the HERD. Interesting. I know there are a great deal of associations with the same HERD name including domains as well as I attempted to secure the most simple one, but without any luck. I would be interested to find out more about them.
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Nice find Dave
      Official HERD Member #00144
      Sponsored by: Rainrider

Comment

Agreed, but can they do this ?

:windy:)
        U.S. Army "Retired"
        (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

To the best of my research, They're a Skydiving team.

I believe the "HERD Motorcycle Club" quip is the writer of the event calendar's addition, to Skydiving members who gather to go for motorcycle rides.

I don't think it's a legitimate "Club", hence the quotation marks. I couldn't find ANYTHING on it, other then that...........

Initially, I thought my neighbor was being funny. Then he went into this story about his dad, and how he was there near Gilberstville, PA the day Jim O'Brian was killed (Philadelphia News Reporter) which was where I used to live. It was a skydiving accident.

Then he starts about this "HERD Skydiving Team" thing........
          Last edited by Dave63; 07-19-2010, 06:06 PM.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

Are you tryhing to say we'll all have to sky dive to stay bonified HERD members now

Originally posted by Dave63 View Post
            To the best of my research, They're a Skydiving team.

I believe the "HERD Motorcycle Club" quip is the writer of the event calendar's addition, to Skydiving members who gather to go for motorcycle rides.

I don't think it's a legitimate "Club", hence the quotation marks. I couldn't find ANYTHING on it, other then that...........

Initially, I thought my neighbor was being funny. Then he went into this story about his dad, and how he was there near Gilberstville, PA the day Jim O'Brian was killed (Philadelphia News Reporter) which was where I used to live. It was a skydiving accident.

Then he starts about this "HERD Skydiving Team" thing........
            HERD#00004
            *disclaimer: I am not an expert. Like everyone else I have an opinion.

HS1 and HS2 Attendee

Paracord Crew Member

Comment

Hey man, I would love to jump out of a plane but the wife doesn't want me to.
              2010 Ultra Limited/Merlot/Cherry
              Official HERD Member #00134

Comment

If you jump, I'll just watch from below!
                2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

No sense jumping out of a perfectly good plane.........................

HERD Member #10

Comment

Agreed. I don't like heights!

When I was younger (7 years old) someone grabbed me by my ankles and dangled me from a 3 story building. That ruined me for life. Back then, when I told mother, she nearly beat the crap out of that man. He thought it was funny....Now....I'm scared of heights!
                    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

We may qualify if we attend the on ground training. ???
                      Those who say it can't be done should get in the way of those doing it.
                      Patriot Guard Riders # 209,359
                      Official HERD Member #00139

Comment

I thimk that's really cool!

Thanks for the great find Dave!
                        OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
                        With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
                        FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
                        RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Jump Jump I'd jump
                          Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

I'd love to jump!!!
                            Official HERD Member #00144
                            Sponsored by: Rainrider

Comment

You'd have to push me cause I wouldn't jump. Wow, another HERD. Good one Dave.
                              x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
                              HERD member #66
                              HS I Survivor
                              HS II Survivor
                              HS III Survivor
                              HS IV,V,VI wanted to go.....

Comment

Working...
                              X