Maybe Someday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe Someday

This posting was copied from the American Iron blog. I thought the writer really has a message we all need to hear from time to time.

Maybe someday...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other day I rolled up to the UPS store on my freshly polished Electra-Glide. I had the stereo blasting and I was feeling pretty good about the bike. Then I saw a transient walking in my direction. Clearly he had issues. He had an old ratty back pack. He and his clothes needed washing. He walked up to me and said something like: Wow! That is a beautiful bike! It would be great to have a bike like that. And, you are playing some AC/DC!

I thanked him and politely replied that it was a work in progress. He was very complimentary and clearly envious. I was trying to remain humble but I was really proud of the bike and of all the work I had done on it. He just walked around the bike making whistling sounds and shaking his head.

Recently I was thinking about this incident. My bike is not a 2011 CVO Ultra or VRod. It’s an old, rough, 95FLH. Sometimes I get really frustrated with it and I would like to throw it off a cliff. But then, I remember the guy with the backpack. He didn’t even have a bicycle or clean clothes. For most of my life I was part of the, I wish I had, or maybe someday crowd. Now that I have a Harley, I need to remember how great it is to own one. It’s easy to become complacent and take the ownership of a Harley for granted. I need to remember how very fortunate I am.

As a Harley owner I should make the time and have the patience to answer every question anyone asks. I should accept every compliment with humility. For that moment, that transient was a Harley owner, living “the” life vicariously, through me. His “maybe someday” will probably never come.

For some, owning a Harley is the American dream. For those of us who are lucky enough, we live the dream…

Thanks.

Pretty good post Jim, thanks for posting it.
    OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
    With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
    FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
    RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

I agree with Croc....Thanks Jim....Glenn
      Where does it say Humpty Dumpty was an Egg?
      Official HERD Member #00127 - Glenn
      Growing old is not for Sissies..........

Comment

Thanks Jim, well written and rings true!
        "09" King & "10" Forty-Eight(wifes)
        If u ain't ridin u ain't livin!!

Comment

Thanks for sharing JimP!
          Patti, HERD Georgia Girl #113

RubberDown/Double Secret Agent #19 and Ozzyrral #213...RIP
          We will ride again wndchsr...
          'If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun.' - Katherine Hepburn

Comment

nice read,thanks Jim
            2018 Road Glide
            Member #00014

Comment

Yah,thanks for that.
              When I read that "Maby Someday" it brought to mind Mine Sons,One day I said to mine Son about a old car I have setting in the yard,"Someday bahblahblah" and He replied "Dad You have a whole yard and a garage full of them "Somedays".
              Well Someday I will.
              Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

all so true, Jim. Thanks for posting
                HERD MEMBER #00028
                http://treadonthis.blogspot.com
                How about STFU and have a glass of MOO
                Member of the Moo Ton Crew- Ain't no Atheists at 100 up!!!

Comment

wow, never much thought of it like that, but I do remember one time getting back from a ride on my fatboy, a couple days after I bought it. was grinning ear to ear. my wife asked why I was smiling, all I could say was "I just rode for 5 hours on a Harley Davidson, and it is mine"
                  Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Good post. I agree there has to be some humility as I spent the vast majority of my life looking at other peoples bikes hoping one day I would have one also........
                    x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
                    HERD member #66
                    HS I Survivor
                    HS II Survivor
                    HS III Survivor
                    HS IV,V,VI wanted to go.....

Comment

great post!!! I've wanted a harley since I can remember and am so glad to have one now. I'm still new to ownership but am loving it more everyday
                      Official HERD Member #00144
                      Sponsored by: Rainrider

Comment

Enjoyed that post JimP...thanks, and very true
                        Miles are on a road map, close to home is here
                        Very Proud member #99
                        Official Herd Hugger
                        Count your life by smiles, not tears:
                        Count your age by friends, not years.
                        Old bikers don't gray, they CHROME OUT!!

Comment

Great post Jim! It is a dream come true to a lot. I met a couple (husband and wife) over the weekend that ride Yamaha touring. While at a bike PUB in the country I asked the husband why a Yamaha over a Harley. I just wanted to know his perception. At first I thought he had a bad experience with Harley's or something because they both love to ride and will ride for weeks at a time all over the Country.

We are talking full blown touring with saddles on them and all. Here's the answer that I got (not verbatim):

"I paid $14k for mine with all the bells and whistles and my wife's bike was under $9k."

Bottom line is a am grateful for the opportunity of owning an FLHX. Thanks for posting as we do get complacent and need a shake-up at times!
                          2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                          HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

I have had a guy say that to me! I understand totally where this writer is coming from. Without my second job I could not afford my Harley. If I lose that second job I will have to sell the Harley. I'm very appreciative of being able to own a Harley! Thanks for posting!
                            Jeff
                            09 FLHRCI
                            Herd Member #00045

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                              wow, never much thought of it like that, but I do remember one time getting back from a ride on my fatboy, a couple days after I bought it. was grinning ear to ear. my wife asked why I was smiling, all I could say was "I just rode for 5 hours on a Harley Davidson, and it is mine"
                              That describes me to a tee. I usually have a dumb grin on my face...
                              The hardest part about a Zombie Apocalypse, will be pretending I'm not excited!

Comment

Working...
                              X