Tie Down Bracket recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie Down Bracket recommendations

Hi folks! So I'm looking for some advice from my fellow Herdsters. I have a 2009 Street Glide and right now the only way to tie it down is by using the bars, which I am not a big fan of at this point. I've been looking for some tie down brackets that move the tie down points to the triple trees but am not looking at getting rid of my front directionals. Kuryakyn has a couple options that I could probably drill a hole into in order to keep my directional where they are but before I go tinkering with something I'm looking to see what other folks use.

Its not that I want to trailer my bike but I have a 5 1/2 hour ferry ride, plus a return trip, and want the bike secure for that. Thanks in advance!
    Joe the One Antlered Moose
    Herd member number 00098
    Combat Vets Motorcycle Association # 19938

Harley Tie Down Brackets:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/tie-down-brackets

I didn't look at the Kury ones but I'd gamble they will do the same function.

These are good to have too if you ever need your bike towed in the event of a breakdown.
    Mark

Comment

Ended up going with the Kury brackets as the Harley ones would only work with a light bar. Really pleased with the fact I didn't have to move or modify my directional and they appear pretty tucked out of the way. Dates are locked in for Nova Scotia, I will find out how well they worked after we arrive in Yarmouth I guess!
      Joe the One Antlered Moose
      Herd member number 00098
      Combat Vets Motorcycle Association # 19938

Comment

cool. I've seen those on other bikes so you should be good to go.
        1986 FXR 2015 Road Glide

Member #00014

Comment

Very cool.. Have a great trip!
          A.K.A. Chad
          Official Ear Tag #163
          Official Member Paracord Posse
          2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited
          "I talk a lot but don't say much, and I know it..."
          "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

Comment

I've never trusted any method that utilizes connections to the bars, trees, or anywhere else near those areas. For a couple reasons, but mainly because the rely completely on compressing the suspension. And possible damage to bars, forks, seals, etc. The method I've used for tens of thousands of miles without issues, is wrapping two strap tethers around the brace in between the frame down-tubes, and then run the ratchet straps (one on each side) to a forward mounting point. Then depending on the trailer, at least one tether through the rear wheel, and a ratchet strap pulling rearward on each side. Some trailers may not have anchor points that far back, so then I'll hook the ratchet strap to a solid mounting point in the area below the foot boards, or the rear mount of the floor board.

The effect of compressing the front suspension, is that the straps are fighting the energy of the compressed forks, and the initial weight of the bike itself. So when the trailer (or in your case, the ferry) moves up and down, the bike's suspension is also compressing and rebounding, but not in sync with the trailer/ferry. which allows the bike to momentarily become loose and possibly falling, through that up/down travel. It's difficult to get away from that completely, but securing to the frame downtubes/cross-member, this is minimized. Ideally, a wheel chock, like the Condor design is the best option, but not always applicable if you're using a trailer that's not dedicated for the chock.

I've seen this same conversation many times in the offroad world, with dirt-bikes, ATVs, and SXS. It amazes me how many people really don't understand the effects of trying to restrict the suspension and how unsafe this is. Many years ago, I worked at a motorcycle/power-sports dealership, and we averaged one machine every week, that came loose on a trailer and incurred lots of damage. About half of those even flew off of trailers, in transport. Thank god, most of them didn't cause accidents from hitting other vehicles that were behind them. But some did...

I now you already said you bought the Kury anchors, but I'd encourage you to not use them. I'll look around to see if I have any pics of my bike, which is also a Street Glide, secured to my trailer. Basically, just about any robust point BELOW the suspension travel will work best.
            Official HERD Member #00231

"Blue skies hanging over my head, I got five hundred miles to ride" - RVZ

Comment

Working...
            X