Blasphemy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blasphemy??

Well, New Years' Day, TARA goes up on the lift. This is tradition in my house... service and updates are classically done here in the winter, of course, and I was always under strict orders that no bike parts were to be purchased until after Christmas. Fair enough.

This year, I have a list as long as my arm. Split into two catagories: "Must do", and "Would like to do".

Must do? Ignition switch. Compensator sprocket. Primarys off, to trash the mid jackshaft, as the inner primary jackshaft seal leaks like a sieve.
    Front tire. Steering head bearings. A full plate.

Here's a "Would like to", along with installing the V&H Big Sweeper pipes, I'm thinking about a bar change.

There are few people I've run into that don't absolutely hate the buckhorn bar. I have always loved the look. Nothing talked to me more, back in the day, than a Ironhead Sporty with an eyebrow over the light, S&S Super E with the teardrop cover, and buckhorns.

Anyway, I happen to like the grip geometry of the buckhorn. It suits me, my wrists. This curious aging process is a bitch, and Uncle Arthur-itis is slowly winning. (Uncle Arthur is cousins with Father Time, and Li'lJo's box score stat lists Father Time as undefeated.)

I ran a buckhorn on my other Superglide. They were tiny, of a '95 Sportster Hugger. I wired them internally and they were spiffy.

Anyway, a co-worker gave me this bar- it's off a 2000 Superglide. It's 26" wide at the bar end.

I'm considering it. Enough to drill it (the internal wiring mod is cool) and powdercoat it to have it on deck.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171121_161332_resized[2243].jpg Views:	1 Size:	932.9 KB ID:	1228603

Ol' fart.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171121_161438_resized[2245].jpg Views:	1 Size:	811.2 KB ID:	1228604

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171121_161541_resized[2244].jpg Views:	1 Size:	768.9 KB ID:	1228605
    Last edited by Big D; 11-21-2017, 08:46 PM.
    PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

You will like those bars Dave.
    A bit different than ape hangers and You do not see bars like that hardly at all anymore.
    Ear Tag no. 00030
    MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
    Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
    If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
    The missing link
    http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Lookin forward to following your upgrades.
      OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
      2014 FLHXS
      U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

I love the buckhorns on my Sportster, but I've never met anyone else who did. Never mattered to me, though. They just something to hold onto. It ain't like anyone is gonna ride one very far anyhow...

Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
        Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
        See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

It's all about comfort with bars. My right elbow would ache 2 miles into a ride with the original bars on my Street Glide, since I changed them I have no issue at all! Good luck with them, I think they'll look sharp.
          Joe the One Antlered Moose
          Herd member number 00098
          Combat Vets Motorcycle Association # 19938

Comment

Originally posted by Unimoose View Post
            It's all about comfort with bars. My right elbow would ache 2 miles into a ride with the original bars on my Street Glide, since I changed them I have no issue at all! Good luck with them, I think they'll look sharp.
            Agreed. Stock FLHX bars blow. Single best mod to my bike, ever. Made it soooo much more comfortable to ride, and I initially thought it was mainly for better aesthetics.

Bike's going to look good with the new bars, Big D, and the internal wires clean it up so much.
            Last edited by Wanna Ride; 11-22-2017, 11:00 PM.
            Official HERD Member #00231

"Blue skies hanging over my head, I got five hundred miles to ride" - RVZ

Comment

Nope. Ain't gonna do it.

Bike's just fine the way it is. This "minor" bar change would mean, in addition to soldering in wire extensions for a lousy 3" of extra run:

-new brake line
              -new throttle cables
              -new mirrors
              -new grips (prolly wrecking Raymand's heated grips)

Ain't worth it. I can just buy Advil from what I save...

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                Nope. Ain't gonna do it.

Bike's just fine the way it is. This "minor" bar change would mean, in addition to soldering in wire extensions for a lousy 3" of extra run:

-new brake line
                -new throttle cables
                -new mirrors
                -new grips (prolly wrecking Raymand's heated grips)

Ain't worth it. I can just buy Advil from what I save...

You a wise Man Dave.
                Ear Tag no. 00030
                MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
                Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
                If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
                The missing link
                http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

To quote my ex wife in one of her (few) wise moments,
                  When I had finally got the pipes and bars I wanted on my fatboy, and was starting to get antsy, I wanted to do something else to it, just didn't know what, she said
                  "just walk away and leave well enough alone"

And I did.......

for a couple weeks
                  Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Why would you have to change the mirrors and grips? I'm all for enhancing a bike for performance and function.

OK, I lied... I'm all about enhancing ANY kind of machine; bike, car, truck, ATV, RZR, you name it! Nothing better than standing back at the completion, enjoying the gratification and admiring the sense of accomplishment. Just makes it that much sweeter! I love a challenge!

Dig into it!
                    Official HERD Member #00231

"Blue skies hanging over my head, I got five hundred miles to ride" - RVZ

Comment

Originally posted by Wanna Ride View Post
                      Why would you have to change the mirrors and grips? I'm all for enhancing a bike for performance and function.

Dig into it!
                      OK, I will!

I ran Bucks on my old Superglide, and I remember similar mirrors, when tilted over on their side, looked like bunny ears!

And this will make my fourth bar change in 10 years, and I've torn up the left grip on all my changes, to get the damned thing off.

Want new grips anyway.

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Working...
                      X