Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gruss
    replied
    my progressive spacers ended up being 6.2 inches long....Thats a royal pain to compress those babies back into the tubes.....
    I had to put 'em in with the forks off the bike..

Leave a comment:

• MOTOCROSSER
    replied
    hey monk how hard was it to compress the fork caps with the 1" spacers? in my nightster forks theres already a metal spacer thats about 7" long! i had to put some ass into getting the fork caps to compress with them!!so i could imagine how hard it`ll be to compress them with another 1" spacer on top of the stock spacer!!!

Leave a comment:

• Osco*
    replied
    RK fork brace,,

Come to think of it I've never seen a fork brace on a RK,,Just Dyna's n XL's. I know the Police don't have em.:scoot

Leave a comment:

• Osco*
    replied
    Credit where Credit Is due,,,Croc told me how to do this fork mod,,Again,,,OLD SCHOOL RAWKS !!!! Thanks Croc man:cool

Leave a comment:

• Monk
    replied
    The thing about stock Sporty front ends is that they tend to dive too much (due to the factory 5w oil?) and mine felt soft and mushy all the time... I didn't know any better, my first Harley.
    The 39mm setup is good and strong, but a little skitterish as is.
    Changing to a heavier oil and adding some preload helped a ton! Try the oil change first.
    I rode it for about a week like that, then bolted on the brace yesterday evening. Haven't put a lot of miles on the brace yet, but the front end feels like a solid girder now, less twitchy on grooves and lines in the pavement, a bit harder to steer, but far more stable at speed. I'm thinkin' this'll go a long way to remedy my "Sporties ain't cruisers" talk. I'm gonna have to get out on the interstate but I feel certain it'll be less work to ride a longish stint. At least a little more cruiser-like... that's all good.

Your RK is already a consummate cruiser, so I'd be careful of any mod that reduced it's low end handling.
    But Hell... for $75 y'can afford to experiment, mmm-kay?
    Might be worth it.

Leave a comment:

• JimP
    replied
    So is that a benifit to the bigger bikes like a RK? Mine seems to handle pretty good but I don't know what I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• CRAIGERHD
    replied
    Gotta love when a plan comes together, especially when it makes yer scoot more gooder !! good job !

Leave a comment:

• Monk
    replied
    Here's the link:
    http://www.debrix.com/39mm-Fork-Brac...24-0841-vt.htm

Leave a comment:

• Monk
    replied
    Got mine from Debrix Cycles for $75.00 including shipping.

But it did take some shopping around to find that deal.

Leave a comment:

• Osco*
    replied
    Hey Monk,,tell em the cost on your fork brace and where ya got it. mine was 185 ish,,,you found a wayyyy better deal.

Leave a comment:

• sonnyd
    replied
    Congrats on the job. It's definitely nicer when you do something, and you can actually tell the difference!!! I've got the Preload, dampening, and rebound set up pretty firm on
    mine. It's a little stiff over railroad tracks, but it makes it a really sweet ride, no wobble, wondering, or shaking.
    Regards Sonny

Leave a comment:

• gruss
    replied
    Just noticed Monk, you and I have the same fork brace!
    They work well !
    really stable now isnt it.....

Leave a comment:

• gruss
    replied
    Originally posted by Monk View Post
    Yeah, had a baaad case of mushy Sportster front end, and didn't even realize...
    The front end stands taller, even when I'm on it and the increased stability kinda feels like I changed the whole fork setup to a wider tree.

I like it!
    :cool
    When I did mine it was night and day... A real "BIG" change for the better !!! Now you just wanna ride it !

Leave a comment:

• Monk
    replied
    Yeah, had a baaad case of mushy Sportster front end, and didn't even realize...
    The front end stands taller, even when I'm on it and the increased stability kinda feels like I changed the whole fork setup to a wider tree.

I like it!
    :cool

Leave a comment:

• gruss
    replied
    yup !
    It's amazing isnt it ??
    glad you got those great results !!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X