DENSO Iridium plugs for better spark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DENSO Iridium plugs for better spark?

I've been reading a lot about these lately (time for new plugs in the Sporty) and apparently this represents some major advancement in plug technology.
    Anybody know anything about this?

The hardness and strength of Iridium over Platinum makes for a smaller electrode, therefore a hotter, better-performing spark..? So they say @ the Denso website.

Just ordered a pair on eBay... letcha know after I put 'em in.

The part number for the Evo Sportster is IXU22.
    Official Herd Dumbass
    (Ask anybody)

MONK
    Crocified '07 XL1200C
    Herd #34

let us know if it makes a difference for ya!!!!!
    OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
    2014 FLHXS
    U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

Here's my take on this......

Iridium plugs will last longer, but will not produce any more spark then what the coil is rated for/puts out, or the plug wires suppress or deliver, based on their Ohm rating.

Is there such thing as a spark plug that "produces" a better spark? Sure...... Different materials conduct electricity different/better then some others. That's a fact.

Will you feel the difference, other then a lighter wallet? Nope..... You can't "make more spark" beyond what the voltage output of the coil already is. Adding a hotter coil/spark can also create a hotter/leaner burn if the a/f isn't corrected with it.

Will it change your life? Nope....

Have I seen aftermarket "gimmick" spark plugs cause a "No start" situation? Yep....

Narrower electrode plugs are also a bit tougher to read, vs a/f .

I've tried aftermarket (Iridium tipped, SE plugs, Platmun tipped, etc) and felt no difference, or even noticed a difference, other then less cash in my bank account.
      **Note: The technical info I provide is suggestive. I am not a perfeshunel.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

been thru all those with dirt bike and race cars(drag and dirt track) save your money and buy the normal plugs. spark jumps easier from a sharp edge than a rounded wore off edge or larger gap from wear. seems to be cheaper to replace the plugs with fresh new ones a few times compared to those high price plugs.........just my findings but dont want to tell u what to spend your $ on
        Todd Pearson
        Herd #118
        AMA #366336
        SERA #107 (Southern Enduro Riders Assoc)
        08 FLHX, TW555's, TTS Mastertune

Comment

One premise behind their hype is that the Iridium allows a smaller contact tip, which will spark more reliably @ a lower supply voltage. Could come in handy compensating for other shortcomings in the circuit, I guess.
          But if the coil is good and the plug wires haven't gone resistive, I agree it won't make any difference.

Hey, at $10/plug, it won't break me to find out...

Y'gotta remember, I'm very happy with the way it performs right now, guys. Not really lookin' for any kind of boost; just tryin' to keep it runnin' right, and tryin' to use upgraded or top quality parts where indicated.

A pair of OEM plugs from Debrix is only about $9. I like the long-life implication of the Iridium.
          Last edited by Monk; 06-14-2010, 10:19 AM.
          Official Herd Dumbass
          (Ask anybody)

MONK
          Crocified '07 XL1200C
          Herd #34

Comment

A spark is a spark IMO, it's gotta cross the same gap, and all of em are hot enough to ignite gasoline and compressed air. The only difference I would look for, is lifespan.
            It's not "derailed", as long as the last post relates to the post above it...it's just on a different rail, heading into a more interesting direction

Comment

The only reason for them fancy plugs is the long maintnance intervals for vehicles now. if yur gonna fugg with yur plugs evry couple thousand miles it's pointless.
              THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
              How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

I have to agree with everything that's been said... at least I should be able to verify if they work at all.
                I wasn't lookin' for a performance boost, but the Iridium promise of longer life means to me they might stay nice and "fresh" longer... I'll change 'em out in a coupla' thousand miles in any case.
                Just hopin' they wear like iron, I gues.
                Official Herd Dumbass
                (Ask anybody)

MONK
                Crocified '07 XL1200C
                Herd #34

Comment

Well, they're in and no complaints. So far.
                  The old ones looked good comin' out, dry and light grey colored. No hot spots or blackening, so I guess the fuel settings are close to right (with OEM plugs, anyway).
                  These new plugs feel just the same, but I think maybe I get just a bit less decel popping, never got much, just seems less now.

They came out of the package gapped at .040, which is within the svc manual range, so I left 'em there.

Improved performance? Don't really feel anything like that, it's just as punchy as ever. I'm hopin' they'll last 10K miles and still look new.
                  Official Herd Dumbass
                  (Ask anybody)

MONK
                  Crocified '07 XL1200C
                  Herd #34

Comment

I suppose a plug with a modified flame kernel would aid in the reduction of plug fouling, especially on a carburated bike that see's an intentional rich burn condition by running the choke manually. I change the sporty plugs every spring, because I start to get plug fouling over winter.
                    If an Iridium-ated supercalafragalistic plug-a-ma-bob will cut down on fouling, I'd pay 10 bones a pop for it....IMHO
                    U.S. Army "Retired"
                    (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Working...
                    X