'12 electra glide idle problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '12 electra glide idle problems

Today, as i was moving all my stuff around, I took the bike out for a ride. When it comes down to idle at a stop, sometimes (more often than not) it would drop to 600-700 rpms, instead os the usual 1000 or so. It chugs bad and if I try to blip the throttle it will die, it did kill itself twice. but if i left it in a few seconds it would usually pop back up to normal idle. I did run some 89 octane thru it as I was almost empty last week and needed something to get me to some 91, but I filled it with premium and rode more and had no issues then.
    Only thing I could think of is that cylinder shut down thing it does to keep the engine cooler at idle, if thats not working right?? Any other ideas???
    Due to Jeff being a super overused awesome name, call me TJ. :-)

Official HERD Member #00211

Don't your manual call for Preminum 91 octaine only ?
    Have you thought about replacing he plugs with some Autolite 4164 Non irridium plugs?
    And checked your air breather to make sure it is clean ?
    The idle control Valve might be dirty also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK6KZcirHpg
    2011 HD Ultra Limited
    Thunder-Max
    Official HERD Member #00188

Comment

It does, ive had to run lower in it before, just to get to the next town, never had any issues. I only put in a gallon, and have more than run it out. Ill check the plugs and air breather when i get back home next week. I did see that vid in my search last night. And i learned how to turn on and off the eitms (cylinder shut down)

Comment

The "parade mode" option cuts the rear cylinder at idle when the engine gets real damn hot. You can usually feel it in the vibration when you're at a stop and that cylinder cuts out. There is a way to shut that off if you want to test it. I believe you turn the bike on but don't start it, and rotate the throttle forward for a few seconds to shut it off. But I don't have my manual here with me right now to look it up. If that rear cylinder does cut out, you do want to blip the throttle quick before pulling away from a stop. If you go full throttle without getting that cylinder back online, you can kill the engine. Don't ask how I know.
        A.K.A. Chad
        Official Ear Tag #163
        Official Member Paracord Posse
        2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited
        "I talk a lot but don't say much, and I know it..."
        "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

Comment

Sounds like an ECM problem. Just to be sure, check the gas cap vent. It would probably choke down while riding if it were blocked though...
          It STILL don't make me no nevermind!
          Official HERD Member #00186

sigpic

Comment

Chad, i did learn how to do that while searching for solutions to this, you are correct yhe fancy term is EITMS. I thjnk mine is off. Im going to clean the idle air control, check the plugs first, following the KISS system. :)

Comment

So, i havent cleaned the idle control valve, as i dont have yhe right allen wrench with me right now. But it has now gotten worse, hard to start, and i was riding around the little complex here and its missing on one cylinder, but will come and go as your on throttle. Pulled the plugs, they look fine to me, cleaned yhem best i could put them back in in opposite cylinders, runs slightly better, still missing. Going to go get my full set of allens and clean that valve, see what happens...

Comment

Ok, after getting frustrated yesterday... I quit went home and bled the brakes on my pickup. After a regroup, just went back, pulled ghe trouble codes. P0134 P0154 (frt and rear o2 sensors open/ not responding) P1353 front cylinder no combustion.. skmething i failed to mention earlier, it has V&H dresser duals head pipes and slip on mufflers, Arlen ness big air sucker and a cobra Fi2000 tuner. Not sure where to go right now, was going to talk to my indy mech (who did the exhaust/air work)

Comment

Jeff, I'm guessing that when the Cobra tuner was installed, they disconnected the O2 sensors. I know I did that when I put in my PC-V tuner. That would cause the P0134 and P0154 codes. Those are informational codes and should not cause issues with how the bike runs. The P1353 code is your issue. And since its the front cylinder, that is not related to the "parade mode" That is supposed to cut the rear cylinder, not the front.

I would disconnect the tuner and reconnect the O2 sensors and see what happens.
                  A.K.A. Chad
                  Official Ear Tag #163
                  Official Member Paracord Posse
                  2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited
                  "I talk a lot but don't say much, and I know it..."
                  "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

Comment

I have new Plugs, and it says they should be changed at 10k, im at 11k, have new plugs, didnt put them in as the old ones looked fine, but i did put them back in in opposite cylinders, and it ran the same. I'll try the new plugs nect time im home. See what happens. Maybe the wire isnt quite on right?

Comment

check the rubber plug on your throttle body see if it has a hole in it
                      Official HERD Member #00209
                      2012 Ultra Limited

Comment

I dont have the rubber plug or hole on the outside of the butterfly. Theirs a hole inside the butterfly,

Comment

Cleaned throttle body best i could with ripping it all apart. Changed plugs. Its definitely only running on one cylinder, and hard to start. Both plugs came out wet, front one was warm but not very, rear cylinder plug was hot.

Comment

Another update... So after lost of thinking, cooling off my brain, and some more thinking, I went and asked the service mgr at my dealer for some input. I then picked up a new plug wire and 2 new plugs. Get back to the bike WITH my Ohm meter tested the wire, it was out of spec (8200, range is 8600-12,something) so I pulled the seat and tank, changed out the wire, and plugs. Got it all back together, took it for a spin, no change. So I pulled the front plug, IT is as clean as when I put it in, and dry, no gas... So I've got a fuel delivery problem. :( time for more research.

Comment

Back at it today... pulled the rank again. Checked all the wires, they look good, i unplugged and re plugged in all the connectors up there. Everything i can see looks good. I dont have the tools to go much further, especially without the electrical diagnosis manual. So i guess off to my indy shop itll go.

Comment

Working...
                              X