Drilling out pipes????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling out pipes????

A friend of mine has a Ultra Classic Electra Gilde 2007 with the Twin Cam 96 engine.

Of course it sounds too quiet for him and he wants to drill out the stock pipes to make it louder. What else does he have to do?

This guy is an old skool biker, not into puters and forums and all that and this bike is all new to him...his last Harley was way back early 70's I think.

Thanks for any help!:beer
    Official "Herd Booze taste tester!"

Member #0006 :babe

"Lead paint chips are chewy AND sweet......" In memory of Rick.

You can't drill the Fl pipes like the tapered ones that I do, however, I've read about guys that knock out a center, internal plug with a round stock bar.....

I never did one on my own, although I have a set of mufflers at home.
    **Note: The technical info I provide is suggestive. I am not a perfeshunel.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

I have knocked the center plug out of two sets so far and it makes a nice difference in the sound...gives it a little bit of a rumble...much better than stock!! It is very simple to do with a 2 foot piece of round stock like Dave mentioned, I use a 2 foot piece of 5/8ths rebar that is blunt on the end and use a 3 pound sledge to knock the plug loose. They will blow right out of the exhaust when you start the bike and rev it up just a little. Hope that helps ;)
      Robert
      Ear Tag #110
      2012 Vivid Black Heritage
      USAF Retired, Desert Storm Vet
      When you are faced with a dispute, Give them the HERD Salute :)

Comment

Originally posted by 41bigdawg View Post
        I have knocked the center plug out of two sets so far and it makes a nice difference in the sound...gives it a little bit of a rumble...much better than stock!! It is very simple to do with a 2 foot piece of round stock like Dave mentioned, I use a 2 foot piece of 5/8ths rebar that is blunt on the end and use a 3 pound sledge to knock the plug loose. They will blow right out of the exhaust when you start the bike and rev it up just a little. Hope that helps ;)
        It's funny you mention it blowing out the back when started. I was thinking of this right before I read it. How can the piece blow out if the hole is the same diameter?
        Proud Herd Member #00094
        2010 FXDC
        Keep it real.
        Rubberdown

Comment

That is a good question Dimon...the answer is this...the plug is tacked to the inside of the center tube of the baffle so when you knock it out you are breaking the tack welds on the plug, it is just laying loose in the center tube of the baffle at that point so when the exhaust from the engine blows through the pipe it blows the plug right out the back onto the floor of your garage ;)
          Robert
          Ear Tag #110

Comment

I'm thinkin drillin out the WHOLE baffle like DAve has illustrated brings out more bass tones than jus drillin or hammerin out the plug.
            Last edited by vlade; 06-08-2010, 12:19 PM.
            THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
            How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

You make a good point Vlade but the mufflers on the Touring Models are not the same as the tapered mufflers that Dave has illustrated so well ;)
              Robert
              Ear Tag #110

Comment

Originally posted by 41bigdawg View Post
                You make a good point Vlade but the mufflers on the Touring Models are not the same as the tapered mufflers that Dave has illustrated so well ;)
                I'd take yur word but with a hole saw and a powAAAA drill lots of stuff can be removed outa pipes and stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Dimoncutr View Post
                  How can the piece blow out if the hole is the same diameter?
                  Because when you knock it out with a steel bar, it deforms the plug, and folds slightly, making it smaller then the original diameter. Even the slightest bend, and a round slug will pass through a hole of the same original diameter.

Unless you need it to..... :)
                  **Note: The technical info I provide is suggestive. I am not a perfeshunel.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

Thanks guys! So I will tell him to knock out the middle with the stick...so it won't need any tuning or re-mapping etc????

Comment

I knocked the deflector out of the way on a set of Screamin Eagle slip ons....stood em on end and slammed them with a chunk of #11 rebar...FYI ..rebar is stronger than the junk inside a pipe...bent it out of the way..now they have a nice sound to them...
                      Lee....... If ya ain't the lead dog... the view never changes....

Can weld anything but a broken heart

......It's a rebar thing.....
                      HERD member # 00015

Comment

Originally posted by V-Girl View Post
                        Thanks guys! So I will tell him to knock out the middle with the stick...so it won't need any tuning or re-mapping etc????
                        Ive heard conflicting on that V but originally HD said " 07? jus pipes and A cleaner? no" The system will adjust but you'll still be getting a 14.7 AFR

Comment

Thats right V...no tuning or re-map is necessary ;)
                          Robert
                          Ear Tag #110

Comment

Thanks will tell the guy tonite at HH!

Comment

Working...
                            X