Old Gasket removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Gasket removal

Somebody here has to have a trick for getting this chit off! I have heard use a sharp razor, but I don't want to gouge the metal. Also heard to use a 3m wheel on a die grinder, but on heads and cylinders they have to be perfectly fat within a few thousands tolerance and a wheel could remove metal too!!!

Who has a good solution???
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." Hemingway
    Official HERD Member #00155

Permatex makes some squirt stuff in a can that bubbles n bubbles and helps to lift the gasket,I think You can gets the same stuff out of a can a paint

stripper,OH Boy,here We go again,talkin bout strippin.
    Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

I haittosay this..but I have used razor blades before...
      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
        That's what I started to do then I noticed a few scratches and quit
        "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarty51 View Post
          Permatex makes some squirt stuff in a can that bubbles n bubbles and helps to lift the gasket,I think You can gets the same stuff out of a can a paint

stripper,OH Boy,here We go again,talkin bout strippin.
          Thanks I'll have to check that out. Also thought about getting a carbon scraper cause they are softer than the metal.

Comment

Do`nt use any kind of a grinding implement on them aluminum pieces,I use a single edged razor blade and very carefully get a start on the gasket and once I gets between the gasket and the part it seems to slice off a lot easier but being very carefull to not remove any of the metal.
            Sometimes a old kitchen utility knife without serrations works good,if I find a old utility knife at a rummage sale or a secont hand store I purchase them and leave em off in the parts washin bin.
            Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
              Do`nt hate to say it,it was fun when I was usin razor blades fer cuttin,at least I thought the effects were but I do`nt need that no more.
              Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

They got spray on that will at least loosin/soften it up if it aint a metal gasket. then take a plastic scraper to it.
                Last edited by vlade; 11-04-2010, 08:19 PM.
                THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
                How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

if i remember thats what i used when i rebuilt the shovel

got a plastic putty knife and enhanced the edge

once you get it started it will/should peel pretty easy
                  Twenty First Herdster
                  * When Its All Said And Done, Will You Have Said More Than You Have Done?
                  ** How Old Would You Be If You Didnt Know How Old You Where?
                  99 FLSTF
                  03 FLHTCI

Comment

Laquer Thinner and a rag! Soak the rag and place on gasket material, let it soak in 15/20 minutes, add more thinner if needed, and scrape off with razor or paint sraper! In most cases the gasket will come right off!
                    OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
                    With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
                    FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
                    RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

I was gonna say a regular metal putty knife or paint scraper
                      Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Just remembered paint remover works also......but don't get it in the motor workings!!!
                        OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
                        With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
                        FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
                        RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

I went out and bought some aircraft remover this morning. Let me tell you that is some nasty chit! Seems to be taking the gasket off though.

Comment

I buy razor blades by the case(ten blades to pack--10 packs in a case...or at least NAPA calls it a case) Have found that a very sharp blade works great when followed up by a regular wire brush. Blades dont stay sharp long(maybe 5 minutes) and then I change them. Found it takes about 3 blades to do a head gasket(the way I do it). The sharper the blade, the more angle you can get. The duller....less angle resulting in more gouging on the mating surfaces.
                            2010 FXD Super Glide
                            HERD brand #165
                            Doin that "monkey thang"

Comment

I've used WD 40 and a razor blade glass scraper. it takes time to get it perfect but it's worth it.
                              Expectations managed for free

Comment

Working...
                              X