Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air Temp. & RPM's

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Air Temp. & RPM's

    I have gotten used to running around town by the sound of my bike. It seems the last couple evenings the RPM's are lower at my normal city speeds. The air temps are lower(mid 50's) with much less humidity this time of year around here.

    My question, will the temperature and humidity effect the engine RPM's ?

    And if so, is there a simple answer for it?

    BTW, 2000 Dyna(saur), Mikuni 42mm carb.
    There is a special place in our hearts... Carved out for our memories
    R.I.P. RubberDown
    R.I.P. James "Jimbo"
    Reese

  • #2
    Air pressure, temp and humidty will affect the way fuel/air is burned! As far ar RPM's not sure, I know in cold weather with high pressure frt in place, all engines run better and burn fuel better!
    OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
    With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
    FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
    RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

    Comment


    • #3
      Were you wearing ear muffs because of the cold?
      Where does it say Humpty Dumpty was an Egg?
      Official HERD Member #00127 - Glenn
      Growing old is not for Sissies..........

      Comment


      • #4
        It is about 44F here this morning & on the ride in my RPM's were a little higher, about 200RPM (that usually happens). Mine is an fuel injected Evo.
        I LOVE ridin' in the cooler weather.
        Bill
        Official HERD Member #0153
        Electra Glide Classic Touring 95th Anniversary #153/1000
        Charter Member-American Legion Riders Post #26 PA
        "You can NEVER have too much chrome!"

        Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.

        Comment


        • #5
          I love the cooler weather.....Lots of HP!!!!!!


          Me loves the speeeeeeeed.
          08 FLSTC - cus we likes to ride! HERD#146 - Thanks Classy! USN - Retired
          When I wear an "Old Navy" shirt, it is not a fashion statement, it is just a statement.
          Looking at life from the back of the HERD....All I see is...well, you know! :)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Crocodile56 View Post
            Air pressure, temp and humidty will affect the way fuel/air is burned! As far ar RPM's not sure, I know in cold weather with high pressure frt in place, all engines run better and burn fuel better!
            I kinda figured humidity effects the way she runs. We both seem to like this cool dry air.
            was just kinda thinking out loud as to the why for's. It's not a problem, just curious.
            Originally posted by gtoracer View Post
            Were you wearing ear muffs because of the cold?
            No ear muffs but a canadian hat under the beanie. Kinda a beanie under a beanie. Tuque
            There is a special place in our hearts... Carved out for our memories
            R.I.P. RubberDown
            R.I.P. James "Jimbo"
            Reese

            Comment


            • #7
              Any engine normally aspirated, will run leaner in cooler weather because the air is denser. That may be what you are experiencing. Fuel injected bikes should compensate especially the one's with oxygen sensors.....either that or you have your beanies pulled down over your ears......Glenn
              Where does it say Humpty Dumpty was an Egg?
              Official HERD Member #00127 - Glenn
              Growing old is not for Sissies..........

              Comment


              • #8
                There are a lot of different variables and in addition to what was mentioned above, altitude also plays a roll.
                .
                2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                HERD MEMBER #00003

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
                  There are a lot of different variables and in addition to what was mentioned above, altitude also plays a roll.
                  so does that mean if you are higher than a kite your bike will run better?? hmmmm.. i feel an experiment coming on?

                  the above statment is pure fiction and I do not condone or recommend the use of any.....O nevermind!!
                  HERDSTER #00115
                  Herdstock II survivor
                  Herdstock III survivor
                  Herdstock IV survivor
                  Herdstock VI survivor
                  MOO TON CREW member
                  I like the dog. If he can't eat it or f**k it, he pisses on it. I can get behind that

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Considering most of my riding has been in flat zones (with the exception of the Appalachian Mountains) this PreHERD run in colder climate will be a test by trial when we get up in the Ozarks!
                    .
                    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                    HERD MEMBER #00003

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by wavman8 View Post
                      so does that mean if you are higher than a kite your bike will run better?? hmmmm.. i feel an experiment coming on?

                      the above statment is pure fiction and I do not condone or recommend the use of any.....O nevermind!!

                      No the higher in altitude the bike is the thiner the air and the richer the bike. The higher the rider the less he cares and the poorer the rider....erbox
                      Where does it say Humpty Dumpty was an Egg?
                      Official HERD Member #00127 - Glenn
                      Growing old is not for Sissies..........

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ahhhh, thanks for the clarification.:moo
                        HERDSTER #00115
                        Herdstock II survivor
                        Herdstock III survivor
                        Herdstock IV survivor
                        Herdstock VI survivor
                        MOO TON CREW member
                        I like the dog. If he can't eat it or f**k it, he pisses on it. I can get behind that

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by gtoracer View Post
                          Any engine normally aspirated, will run leaner in cooler weather because the air is denser. That may be what you are experiencing. Fuel injected bikes should compensate especially the one's with oxygen sensors.....either that or you have your beanies pulled down over your ears......Glenn
                          Did a little reading on the 'net. Kinda getting the just of it. It's not like the bike turns into a monster, but this time of year the extra pep is noticeable......................Thanks fer the input.

                          Originally posted by wavman8 View Post
                          so does that mean if you are higher than a kite your bike will run better?? hmmmm.. i feel an experiment coming on?

                          the above statment is pure fiction and I do not condone or recommend the use of any.....O nevermind!!
                          Originally posted by gtoracer View Post
                          No the higher in altitude the bike is the thiner the air and the richer the bike. The higher the rider the less he cares and the poorer the rider....erbox
                          Been stayin' away from the stuff you may be referr(ing) to .....................but that's another story. :gee
                          There is a special place in our hearts... Carved out for our memories
                          R.I.P. RubberDown
                          R.I.P. James "Jimbo"
                          Reese

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by wavman8 View Post
                            so does that mean if you are higher than a kite your bike will run better?? hmmmm.. i feel an experiment coming on?

                            the above statment is pure fiction and I do not condone or recommend the use of any.....O nevermind!!
                            ..........:laughout

                            I know that when I take lortab, my bike runs much slower, and those stop lights take about an hour.....:dan
                            U.S. Army "Retired"
                            (Disabled Veteran)

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X