Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first scare...

Good morning Herdsters:morning

Well I have had some back fire while decelin and know that means one of several things. So I went up to the bike shop that I deal with and Dave the owner said to first check the intake manifold by spraying WD40 where the intake manifold gaskets set, ya'll know what I'm trying to say. He said if there was a leak that I would hear a change in the idle or it would cut off. It did neither!! So maybe a foul plug or as a fellow rider told me this morning could be were my bike is settling in-51XX miles.What do ya'll think??
    Official HERD Member #00024

Ride Hard, Ride Free and just be YOU

maybe an injector leaking too, thats what my problem was or the fuel line in the tank could be leaking. do you notice it when your tank is less than half full? or is it all the time?
    Official HERD Member #00138

Comment

Clogged fuel filter?
      A sudden drop of fuel pressure?
      Imbalance of the air to fuel ratio?
      Timing to the spark?

Too many variables...

Is it still happening or was it a one-off?
      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Still happening. I haven't checked plugs yet, going to when I get home. But it is all the time.

Comment

A slight leak in the exhaust pipe`ll makeem do that tooo.
          Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Ok. Ya'll have gave me plenty of info and what to look for:-) THANK YOU!!!

Comment

found this too...................
              WHAT CAUSES THE ENGINE TO BACK FIRE DURING DECELERATION ESPECIALLY IN A V TWIN IS AIR.

THE BACK FIRE DURING DECELERATION IS CAUSED BY THE UN BURNT FUEL THAT IS BRIEFLY SUCKED BACK INTO THE CYLIDER DURING EXHAUST OVERLAP WHEN THE EXHAUST AND INTAKE VALVES ARE OPEN AT BRIEFLY THE SAME TIME. NOW WHEN THE INTAKE AIR PLATE IS CLOSED SOMETIMES KNOWN AS THE BUTTERFLY AIR/OXYGEN CAN STILL BE SUCKED THROUGH THE PILOT AIR JET WHEN DECELERATING THE ENGINE BRIEFLY LOSES VACCUME HENSE SHUTTING THE AIR CUT OFF VALVE ON MOST CYCLES IF YOUR ENGINE IS IMPROPERLY TUNED THEN YOUR INTAKE AIR PLATE WILL BE OPEN MORE ON IDLE AND LET IN MORE AIR CAUSING BACKFIRING. MOST CYCLES WIL NOT BACKFIRE IF YOU PULL IN THE CLUTCH WHICH IS THE PROPER WAY TO DECELERATE ANYWAY. DECELERATING BY ENGINE BRAKING IS VERY DAMAGING TO THE ENGINE ESPECIALLY TIMING CHAINS IF EQUIPPED ALWAYS PULL IN THE CLUTCH WHEN COMING TO A STOP THIS WILL CAUSE LESS ENGINE DAMAGE USE YOUR BRAKES THEY ARE CHEAPER TO REPLACE THEN MAJOR ENGINE COMPONENTS. IF THE ENGINE IS BACKFIRING WHILE ACCELERATING YOU ARE PROBLABLY OUT OF TIME
              Twenty First Herdster
              * When Its All Said And Done, Will You Have Said More Than You Have Done?
              ** How Old Would You Be If You Didnt Know How Old You Where?
              99 FLSTF
              03 FLHTCI

Comment

Originally posted by toorglide View Post
                WHAT CAUSES THE ENGINE TO BACK FIRE DURING DECELERATION ESPECIALLY IN A V TWIN IS AIR.

THE BACK FIRE DURING DECELERATION IS CAUSED BY THE UN BURNT FUEL THAT IS BRIEFLY SUCKED BACK INTO THE CYLIDER DURING EXHAUST OVERLAP WHEN THE EXHAUST AND INTAKE VALVES ARE OPEN AT BRIEFLY THE SAME TIME. NOW WHEN THE INTAKE AIR PLATE IS CLOSED SOMETIMES KNOWN AS THE BUTTERFLY AIR/OXYGEN CAN STILL BE SUCKED THROUGH THE PILOT AIR JET WHEN DECELERATING THE ENGINE BRIEFLY LOSES VACCUME HENSE SHUTTING THE AIR CUT OFF VALVE ON MOST CYCLES IF YOUR ENGINE IS IMPROPERLY TUNED THEN YOUR INTAKE AIR PLATE WILL BE OPEN MORE ON IDLE AND LET IN MORE AIR CAUSING BACKFIRING. MOST CYCLES WIL NOT BACKFIRE IF YOU PULL IN THE CLUTCH WHICH IS THE PROPER WAY TO DECELERATE ANYWAY. DECELERATING BY ENGINE BRAKING IS VERY DAMAGING TO THE ENGINE ESPECIALLY TIMING CHAINS IF EQUIPPED ALWAYS PULL IN THE CLUTCH WHEN COMING TO A STOP THIS WILL CAUSE LESS ENGINE DAMAGE USE YOUR BRAKES THEY ARE CHEAPER TO REPLACE THEN MAJOR ENGINE COMPONENTS. IF THE ENGINE IS BACKFIRING WHILE ACCELERATING YOU ARE PROBLABLY OUT OF TIME
                HHHMMMmmmmm,never heard of compression braking causing any engine damage before,where`d you get this info?????
                Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

answers.com

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_cause...orcycle_engine
                  Twenty First Herdster
                  * When Its All Said And Done, Will You Have Said More Than You Have Done?
                  ** How Old Would You Be If You Didnt Know How Old You Where?
                  99 FLSTF
                  03 FLHTCI

Comment

don't be so quick to believe wiki-anything. all there information is compiled from people who send in answers.
                    Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

I didn't know that. Very interesting. I know when I roll off the gas with the clutch pulled it has lil pops. THANK YOU!!

Originally posted by toorglide View Post

Comment

also i'd check the exhaust nuts at the head, this comes from owning a lot of dilapidated old harleys..seemed the exhausts was coming loose weekly.
                        Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

My engine must be trashed. I used my engine to brake all the time in the hills and mountains. I would think that most of your backfiring is coming from blocked jets or jet. Or it could need a good ol tune up.
                          Last edited by blacksheep; 08-24-2010, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I am no mechanic, I have an o8. From my own experience. I won't go into alot of detail but, clean , replace or just check the IAC, Idle Air Control. They become gummed and can be worn out and lose count due to bad threads.
                            Those who say it can't be done should get in the way of those doing it.
                            Patriot Guard Riders # 209,359
                            Official HERD Member #00139

Comment

Good morning guys. Thankx for all the help and suggestions. I think I have Fri off, so I will grab a stool, my manual,tools and the MOST important thing, beer or jack, and get to checking everything out. This is why I love this forum:-)

Comment

Working...
                              X