no spark on front cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no spark on front cylinder

I found that I had no spark on my front cylinder Friday so I'll on the webz looking for solutions today.

any ideas on which places to start looking for the trouble would be appreciated.
    2018 Road Glide
    Member #00014

No spark on front Jug only?

Bad coil.
    Bad wire.
    Bad plug.

Only 3 things it could be!

OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
    With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
    FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
    RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

new coil new wires new plugs
      2018 Road Glide
      Member #00014

Comment

NEW dont neccesarily mean GOOD Got the old coli you can flip out and see what just for kicks then maybe flip sparkplug wires
        THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
        How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

yea I can do that. I was thinking maybe an ignition wire might be bad
          2018 Road Glide
          Member #00014

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Hours View Post
            yea I can do that. I was thinking maybe an ignition wire might be bad
            Dont know wouldnt that give you bad spark on both cylinders.

Comment

maybe but maybe not , I was thinking a wire running to the coil running to the coil maybe
              2018 Road Glide
              Member #00014

Comment

maybe but maybe not , I was thinking a wire running to the coil running to the coil maybe
                Yea thats what I was talkin about if it was bad it shouldnt just be one cyl but I dont figgen remember wirein

OH see ya got the Little Ceaser Pizza thing goin now

Comment

Have you just looked for a spark across the plug gap or have you stuck somethin in the plug boot and seen if it arcs across to ground?

Comment

swap the wires at the coil and see if the rear jug goes dead
                    Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Originally posted by vlade View Post
                      Have you just looked for a spark across the plug gap or have you stuck somethin in the plug boot and seen if it arcs across to ground?

spark across plug gap
                      2018 Road Glide
                      Member #00014

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                        swap the wires at the coil and see if the rear jug goes dead

found this just a minute ago,same set-up I have.It should help.

Crane Hi4 single fire ignition module has died on me. One cylinder not firing.

Here is what I found, with the aid of a guy on Crane's USA tech line. Their website has no troubleshoot guide, and factory manual only applies to dual-fire stock system on Shovels and Evos and Sportsters.

If you are firing on one cylinder and it's a coil/module issue, it's usually the rear one that goes down. In that case, bike will limp but runs poorly, very limited acceleration...and sounds like sh**t.

With ignition on check that you are getting 12DC volts to the coil, all three terminals. I always carry a multimeter......

Obviously, swap the plug leads (I always carry one spare long HT lead. That way you can test either cylinder's spark with a new lead), then even swap the plugs. You will have to clean the non-firing one as it will be contaminated with unburnt fuel.

If that all checks out OK, you have eliminated the leads and plugs as problems. My bike did start on one cylinder on the kick in each case for testing, so I assume electric starts will do the same.

Now test the coil. IGNITION OFF to check multimeter resistance... should be about 2.5 to 3ohms on each plug terminal - test at the terminals at the rear where module wiring attaches.

From the Hi4, the black wire attaches to the top (FRONT) plug terminal, the white to the bottom (REAR) plug terminal.

Switch them, and of course switch the leads to match. Now, if the rear cylinder fails to fire off the top coil terminal (which has fired the front cylinder previously) you have eliminated the coil.

The killer test for module failure came off Crane's tech line. Run the bike again, and get the test light. Ground the clip, and place the test-tip on the rear (wiring) of both plug terminals i.e. the top and the bottom.

The test light should flicker on and off like a Spanish disco i.e. the module is triggering the firing cycle. If you get no light or constant light at either terminal, the module is toast. I got a constant light off the terminal hosting the module's WHITE wire for rear cylinder, flickering light from front-jug wire BLACK terminal

The tech line said charging or other electrical problems can cause voltage spikes which can irreparably damage their modules. This one has seen several regulator failures in the last 3-4 years, though none of them this year.

Hope this helps someone else.
                        2018 Road Glide
                        Member #00014

Comment

Originally posted by vlade View Post
                          Yea thats what I was talkin about if it was bad it shouldnt just be one cyl but I dont figgen remember wirein

OH see ya got the Little Ceaser Pizza thing goin now

Pizza? I'm missing the reference.
                          2018 Road Glide
                          Member #00014

Comment

Your ignition is going bad. Dealt with this several times.

Comment

When this problem first started a couple of threads back I may have missed the part where it wuz a single fire ignition system.
                              Check out the website in Mine signature,Shovelhead,They have had a lot of discussions of failed ignitions in there.
                              Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Working...
                              X