Engine hitting frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine hitting frame

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK I didn't post this earlier because I've been tied up with other things.

This is it in a nut shell, lower left side of engine behind the primary was hitting slag on the frame.

Dealer replaced engine mounts and ground off slag with Harley's blessing, they also replace gasket at the starter, it was leaking.

2008 XL1200L Keep and eye out for this problem, if the engine case were to crack or brake open I imagine it could be disastrous.

Also got it home and it still could be hitting not sure, called the dealer told him I'd run it for awhile to make sure. They painted both surfaces so I could tell easier
    Be resonable, do things my way.

Originally posted by scol View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK I didn't post this earlier because I've been tied up with other things.

This is it in a nut shell, lower left side of engine behind the primary was hitting slag on the frame.

Dealer replaced engine mounts and ground off slag with Harley's blessing, they also replace gasket at the starter, it was leaking.

2008 XL1200L Keep and eye out for this problem, if the engine case were to crack or brake open I imagine it could be disastrous.

Also got it home and it still could be hitting not sure, called the dealer told him I'd run it for awhile to make sure. They painted both surfaces so I could tell easier
    Well, I'm damn sure gonna check mine....It's an '05 but uses the same case and frame......Thank you Scol ...
    U.S. Army "Retired"
    (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

no issues with my 07 but i think they changed the mount by then.?
      keep us posted
      09 Softail Springer FLSTFBT "AKA" Heritage Fatbones Touring
      www.youtube.com/user/bcvtwin?feature=mhee

herd #148

Comment

Originally posted by colonelangus View Post
        no issues with my 07 but i think they changed the mount by then.?
        keep us posted
        Mine is 08, may want to climb under and take a peek with flash light.

Comment

Bike feels totally deferant since new motor mounts were installed, very little vibration compared to how it was when new.

Engine seems not to be hitting frame any longer. I repainted where it was hitting an it seems ok.

Comment

Cool deal............
            OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
            With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
            FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
            RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Glad they fixed it up for ya Scol.....g
              U.S. Army "Retired"
              (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Thanks fer the update.
                Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Dam it!!! still hitting the frame not as bad but hitting just the same, took a feeler gage and it clears by about 1/4 ".

Went to the dealer today and measured the sport'ys they had in stock. I could put my finger in between the engine and frame. Service manager took a look and agrees they didn't grind off the slag at the factory.

The new bikes were smooth around the weld where mine is unfinished. He's going to call the factory and see what can be done about it. I suggested grinding more with a dremel tool.

You people with sporty's check the clearance it should be more than 1/4 " Your small finger should pass between the frame and the engine. (unless you have really big hands)

Comment

Originally posted by scol View Post
                    Dam it!!! still hitting the frame not as bad but hitting just the same, took a feeler gage and it clears by about 1/4 ".

Went to the dealer today and measured the sport'ys they had in stock. I could put my finger in between the engine and frame. Service manager took a look and agrees they didn't grind off the slag at the factory.

The new bikes were smooth around the weld where mine is unfinished. He's going to call the factory and see what can be done about it. I suggested grinding more with a dremel tool.

You people with sporty's check the clearance it should be more than 1/4 " Your small finger should pass between the frame and the engine. (unless you have really big hands)
                    I'll look again at mine, I have a fair amount of space, but I dont think I can fit my finger in there.......And I cant say it has been hitting either.....

Well, time to get the creeper out, and see if I can get back up once I lay down on it...LOL !!
                    U.S. Army "Retired"
                    (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Scol....
                      Where exactly on the frame are you hitting ?...I just looked at mine, and I have alot of space around the whole clutch side.....
                      U.S. Army "Retired"
                      (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Originally posted by gruss View Post
                        I'll look again at mine, I have a fair amount of space, but I dont think I can fit my finger in there.......And I cant say it has been hitting either.....

Well, time to get the creeper out, and see if I can get back up once I lay down on it...LOL !!
                        Somebody go over to Gruss's garage and see if he is puttin around on his creeper because he can't get up!
                        Jeff
                        09 FLHRCI
                        Herd Member #00045

Comment

Originally posted by jirvin View Post
                          Somebody go over to Gruss's garage and see if he is puttin around on his creeper because he can't get up!
                          U.S. Army "Retired"
                          (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Originally posted by jirvin View Post
                            NAW,I think He stopped bye the "HOT TUB" again.
                            Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Originally posted by gruss View Post
                              Scol....
                              Where exactly on the frame are you hitting ?...I just looked at mine, and I have alot of space around the whole clutch side.....
                              1st screw up from the bottom that holds the primary on, in the rear of the primary, right where they flared the pipe and inserted another pipe then welded. just before the bolt that holds the swing arm on If I knew how to, I'd post up a pic.

Comment

Working...
                              X