Rich / Lean and oil temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich / Lean and oil temp

I think I'm running a little rich as I pulled the plugs and they look like they have black residue and maybe a little wet so I'm going to see where my A/F screw is and adjust it in a little and then look again after a few hundred miles. I honestly don't remember where I have it set but I'll start over at two full turns out and see where it takes me (02 Wide Glide with Rinehart slip on's. Dave's recommended 190 main and 48 pilot as well as other goodies as well as one of those lifetime oil filters)

We had an absolutely beautiful day here yesterday so my buddy and I got a chance to take a long ride (no pics but it really did happen). We put on about 400 miles for the day and I got sunburned like a lobster but enjoyed every minute. Outside temp was in the low 80's with low humidity and we kind of deadheaded home. I was cruising about 70-75 at right around 3000 rpm's for the last hour of the ride and when I pulled off the highway I did a quick check of the oil temp and it read 255. This sounded high to me but knowing that I'm running a little rich I was wondering if running rich would cause this higher temperature. I thought running lean caused the engine to run hotter but figured I'd ask.
    x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
    HERD member #66
    HS I Survivor
    HS II Survivor
    HS III Survivor
    HS IV,V,VI wanted to go.....

I over herd a conversation at a dealership a couple weeks ago. The service guy mentioned 250-260 is quite normal.
    There is a special place in our hearts... Carved out for our memories
    R.I.P. RubberDown
    R.I.P. James "Jimbo"
    Reese

Comment

I was wondering about that. From the searching I did on this and the old forum it's hard to say what's "normal" and what's not. Most times when I check it after normal riding I'm right around 210-220 so maybe 255 isn't too bad for the way I was riding but just wanted to make sure.
      x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
      HERD member #66
      HS I Survivor
      HS II Survivor
      HS III Survivor
      HS IV,V,VI wanted to go.....

Comment

Running rich would be cooler than running lean, rich equals more liquid (gas) for cooling.
        HERD Member #114
        2007 FLHTCU Ultra Classic
        When all else fails, GET A BIGGER HAMMER!
        If common sense was so common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Comment

That's what I've been told also, Dan!
          OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
          2014 FLHXS
          U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Geespot View Post
            I was wondering about that. From the searching I did on this and the old forum it's hard to say what's "normal" and what's not. Most times when I check it after normal riding I'm right around 210-220 so maybe 255 isn't too bad for the way I was riding but just wanted to make sure.
            Prolly should have used the word "common" temp range.

Whats "normal" and whats "not normal" is up for debate on many subjects :laughout
            There is a special place in our hearts... Carved out for our memories
            R.I.P. RubberDown
            R.I.P. James "Jimbo"
            Reese

Comment

Correct, running lean creates heat, more fuel will help with the cooling.
              Dale
              Official HERD Member #00145
              Keep The Rubber Side Down

Comment

Working...
              X