When to Overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to Overhaul

I really do not want to rely on the dealers for this info so, I have 08 FXDL with 35K miles. Still has power, runs good, I keep the maint up, no problems so far except for th IAC needed cleaning. Cleaned and for now is OK. Just very seldom I have to add oil. I run Amsoil 20-50 and 75-140 in the tranny.
    There are parts that naturally wear and tolerances get out that may cause problems or a major breakdown even if the bike is running good.
    Had other bikes in the past,first Harley!
    From you knowledgable folks, what is the prime indicator (if there is one) or is there a set mileage that you should overhaul.
    Those who say it can't be done should get in the way of those doing it.
    Patriot Guard Riders # 209,359
    Official HERD Member #00139

Thirty-five K to me would still be considered new when you take care of them and do the regular maintenance.
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Keep up wit the mant. and rebuild when ya start to se a touch of smoke at start up.................
      OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
      With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
      FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
      RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

No smoke yet. I had heard some stories of the crank and abnormal wear. No shavings on the drain plugs. During my last ride, 5 days, the oil level had dropped to the add. We had alot of steady, hot miles, some quick starts and some parade speed. Just got a little concerned. But no smoke or clanging.

Comment

Originally posted by Crocodile56 View Post
          Keep up wit the mant. and rebuild when ya start to se a touch of smoke at start up.................
          That sounds like a perfect way to know when it's time.

I agree with Boss; if you're doing all the proper maintenance and not abusing the bike, 35K is still like new. I have 38K on my Road King and if I keep it, I expect to put at least 200k more on it.
          H1E2R8D

Comment

Thanks all for the comments. It is what I kinda figured but when you talk to people and read articles it placed questions. You do hear alot and an opinion is like a nose. Everyone has one. Being a new guy here I have read alot of the post in different threads haven't posted much yet. It's a great forum.

Comment

Thanks Oiltrash! Keep up with what you are doing and post/comment when you want. It's all good and very well welcomed.
              2010 FLHX - Street Glide
              HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

I am a Mechanic by trade which means that engine will be smokin,bangin,clangin and rattling like a locomotive afore I`ll touch a rench to it.

OOOHHHHHH Ya,and the weel bearins will be a burnin and settin brush fire down the highway too.erbox:):):)
                Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

One of my friends rides a Road Glide, it is a Twin Cam, and he does regular maintence and last I talked to him he had 90K on his, now I am sure he has had stuff replaced in the motor but no total rebuild that I know of. Maybe some rings and bearings, but nothing major. But he also keeps up with it really well.
                  Dale
                  Official HERD Member #00145
                  Keep The Rubber Side Down

Comment

My Bike had some miles when I bought it (57,00). When I purchased it I bought the extended warrenty. When I took it in for service and to store it for the winter (at a different dealer) they noticed the rear cylinder was leaking at the bottom. It was smeared with black silicone apparently to hide the leak. Dealer fixed it under warrenty and as it was disassembled they did a complete upper overhaul. Rings, valves etc. Cost me the first $50.00...I now have about 67,000 on the bike with no problems. I guess what I'm trying to say is the Boss and others are right on. Ride it, keep up on the maint, and keep an eye out for problems and you should be OK for lots of miles......Glenn
                    Where does it say Humpty Dumpty was an Egg?
                    Official HERD Member #00127 - Glenn
                    Growing old is not for Sissies..........

Comment

Originally posted by gtoracer View Post
                      My Bike had some miles when I bought it (57,00). When I purchased it I bought the extended warrenty. When I took it in for service and to store it for the winter (at a different dealer) they noticed the rear cylinder was leaking at the bottom. It was smeared with black silicone apparently to hide the leak. Dealer fixed it under warrenty and as it was disassembled they did a complete upper overhaul. Rings, valves etc. Cost me the first $50.00...I now have about 67,000 on the bike with no problems. I guess what I'm trying to say is the Boss and others are right on. Ride it, keep up on the maint, and keep an eye out for problems and you should be OK for lots of miles......Glenn
                      Perfect example of how long these motors can go with proper maintence.
                      Dale
                      Official HERD Member #00145
                      Keep The Rubber Side Down

Comment

Oiltrash,

I only have 3600 miles on my bike so I am not quite there yet. However, my uncle has a 105th anniv. Springer(88" motor) with 92,000 on it. He changes the oil every 4,000 miles like clockwork. This past fall he noticed that it had a little more noise than normal coming from the bottom end of the engine. The dealer had to replace the "shoe" on the cam chain tentioner. That is the ONLY major thing he has ever done to this bike outside of "normal" bike maintenance. There are claims the the 96 inchers are better built......
                        2010 FXD Super Glide
                        HERD brand #165
                        Doin that "monkey thang"

Comment

Originally posted by Crocodile56 View Post
                          would valve seals remedy this like in a car engine? i wouldn't worry about any rebuild until it was burning oil noticeably. which with normal wear and tear with regular maintenence i'd bet you get 80k pretty easy on newer bikes(less than 10 years old).
                          Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

I have 50K on my 08 and to me its just getting broke in. The key like they have told you was regular maintenance, 9 times out of 10 you will find stuff during routine scheduled maintenance before it gets drastic. I fully expect to get over 100K before I start looking at rebuild or replace. I have a feeling that a 120R will find its way into the frame of my bike by then. But the way I am putting miles on it, it will be in less than 2 years.
                            HERD # 00075
                            08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
                            USMC Veteran

Comment

35K on AMSOIL is like a new motor, I got 90k on AMSOIL and it still runs like a top.
                              Expectations managed for free

Comment

Working...
                              X