Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check engine light...

Hey gang,

The other day I went to a buddy's house. As I slowed down (I use engine braking *and* brakes) to turn into the driveway I notice the check engine light lit up for a few seconds and then went off. I didn't think much about it but figured I'd check it some more on the way home.

On the way home, I came to the stoplight and sure enough, it seemed at a certain speed and gear, the check engine light comes on for a few seconds and then goes off.

I've got it pinpointed to it only coming on when I downshift into second gear as I'm coming to a stop. Revving the engine does not make the light go out, only holding the clutch in for a few seconds and letting it idle does the light go out. It also seems to go out before I downshift to first gear.

The bike doesn't do anything at all when the light comes on. It idles fine, doesn't sputter or act like it's dying or anything. As far as I can tell it's just the light coming on in second gear *only* when *downshifting*. The only thing I've done is change the plugs (first new set in the bike since I got it 2 years ago).

My warranty runs out October 15th. It's an '09 FXD and has almost 25,000 miles on it. All the fluids are where they're supposed to be (all full and not low or over-full). I'm worried that if I take it into the dealer and they check it and find nothing they'll need/want payment to check it. I live on a disability check and can't afford that right now, so I figured I'd ask here for ideas to check on my own first and fall back to the dealership as a last option.

Thanks for any help/ideas gang.
    Our Second Amendment isn’t about hunting, and it isn’t about self-defense. It’s about Americans having a credible check and balance against the threat of tyranny and dictatorship, plain and simple.

on my vrod you held the "trip" button down until it went into diagnostic mode and then displayed the codes. don't know if the dyna is the same but i know theres a way for you to check the codes, you just ddon't want to erase them yet. the dealer will need to see them to diagnosis the problem. and hell its under warranty, it shouldn't cost anything.
    Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

Like Robbie said I would start by seeing if you historical codes stored.
      Here is a thread on getting the codes.

http://www.hdherd.com/showthread.php...-and-Code-list
      HERD # 00075
      08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
      USMC Veteran

Comment

almost sounds like a charging system symptom
        Twenty First Herdster
        * When Its All Said And Done, Will You Have Said More Than You Have Done?
        ** How Old Would You Be If You Didnt Know How Old You Where?
        99 FLSTF
        03 FLHTCI

Comment

Originally posted by toorglide View Post
          almost sounds like a charging system symptom
          Agreed........A low voltage warning perhaps.......g
          U.S. Army "Retired"
          (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Sounds like what Worm and DDB said, check your codes! If ya got em take her in under warranty make them fix her!
            OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
            With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
            FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
            RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Heya DDB,

Okay, I went to that thread you made and the instructions work for my year and model bike, but, I have PSSPtb...not sure what the 'b' is for, but it's a test module. I guess you can add that info to that thread.

Unfortunately, the DTC codes for my model or year are quite different than what you have posted over there. I got this:

I held the reset button for 5 seconds and first get this (in the 'S' module): 60563
              I press the reset again and get this: Pn 68925-07

In the 'SP' module I got: 61006 and 61007 then got Pn 67478-09

All other modules were clean, I guess, since I got no RSP in all the other modules even though my run/off switch was in the 'on' position. I guess there's just some small and very slight differences in my year/model bike from '04-'08?
              Anyone got any ideas what these codes mean? It looks like it's a simple thing in the ECM flash memory maybe, especially since nothing seems to be running badly mechanically.
              Our Second Amendment isn’t about hunting, and it isn’t about self-defense. It’s about Americans having a credible check and balance against the threat of tyranny and dictatorship, plain and simple.

Comment

john i don't think you got into the correct code retreval section yet, them numbers don't look familiar. you code sould be like a P0144 or similar, i think theres "P" codes for engine and the running . i'm not 100% sure but it'll be close to that. the PN code is the instrument cluster part number i think.
                Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

I tried something by going to a harley parts place (I went to chicago harley on the web) and entered the 'Pn' numbers...one is the Smart Security System Module @ $260. The other is Speedo, 4/MPH/calib @ $250. The 'Pn' numbers matched exactly to these parts.

Since I actually got to the section where it shows a 'PSSBtb', and then it showed me 'diag', I'm positive I got to the DTC thing correctly. I believe that because it's a later model, it has different codes than earlier years. Either way, since the check engine light is coming on, I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow and have them look at it and double-check what I've found. Both those parts should be covered under my warranty. I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Comment

10-4 john, get it fixed under warranty, if they "don't find anything" at least its documented and if it happens again or warranty runs out and it happens they may still fix it since something was previously causing the light to come on

Comment

Originally posted by yochanon View Post
                      I tried something by going to a harley parts place (I went to chicago harley on the web) and entered the 'Pn' numbers...one is the Smart Security System Module @ $260. The other is Speedo, 4/MPH/calib @ $250. The 'Pn' numbers matched exactly to these parts.

Since I actually got to the section where it shows a 'PSSBtb', and then it showed me 'diag', I'm positive I got to the DTC thing correctly. I believe that because it's a later model, it has different codes than earlier years. Either way, since the check engine light is coming on, I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow and have them look at it and double-check what I've found. Both those parts should be covered under my warranty. I'll let everyone know what I find out.
                      Those parts are not the parts you would replace, like the oxygen sensor, fuel injsector, things like that. I will look in my electrical diagnostic manual to see what I can turn up.
                      Dale
                      Official HERD Member #00145
                      Keep The Rubber Side Down

Comment

Originally posted by yochanon View Post
                        Heya DDB,

Okay, I went to that thread you made and the instructions work for my year and model bike, but, I have PSSPtb...not sure what the 'b' is for, but it's a test module. I guess you can add that info to that thread.

Unfortunately, the DTC codes for my model or year are quite different than what you have posted over there. I got this:

I held the reset button for 5 seconds and first get this (in the 'S' module): 60563
                        I press the reset again and get this: Pn 68925-07

In the 'SP' module I got: 61006 and 61007 then got Pn 67478-09

All other modules were clean, I guess, since I got no RSP in all the other modules even though my run/off switch was in the 'on' position. I guess there's just some small and very slight differences in my year/model bike from '04-'08?
                        Anyone got any ideas what these codes mean? It looks like it's a simple thing in the ECM flash memory maybe, especially since nothing seems to be running badly mechanically.
                        Are you sure that was not a C0563? Also I find a 1006 and 1007, no 6 in front of it, could it be a B1006 and B1007, which would be Accessory and Ignition line Overvoltage? Might wanna check it again.
                        Dale
                        Official HERD Member #00145
                        Keep The Rubber Side Down

Comment

Hmmmm...I don't remember any capitalized letters before the numbers, like you've got there. Might it be a lower case 'b' before those 1006 and 1007? I'm pretty sure I read everything correctly, 'cause I put my glasses on, just in case.

As for the 'Pn' number things...I'll try and find out tomorrow...today I mean, and that way we'll have just that much more info about the later than '08 model years. Can't guarantee anything though, 'cause the service crew at this dealership is pretty tight-lipped about talkin' to the customers for some reason, almost like they're hiding nuclear secrets or something, lol.

Comment

Well crap. Got the bike to the dealership and they cleared the codes and took it for a spin and when they got back no problems had come up. So I took the bike and figured it must've been just something unimportant. Got about 40 miles away and it suddenly starts happening again...check engine light, but now it's doing it when I drop down into *third* gear too, not just second and first. I turn around and start heading back to the dealership. I take a different route this time and about 6 miles from the dealership I get to hop onto I-40. I get up to 70 and put it in 6th gear and notice I have no 6th gear light. It was working fine when I left the dealership just earlier.

Get to the dealership and tell them everything. Hang around for about an hour and a half maybe and one of the guys comes out and tells me that it's the voltage regulator and stator and that they have one part but not the other. Before that though, one came out and asked me if I'd ever charged my battery (which I said I hadn't, 'cause I'd never needed to. I never had a problem starting the bike). They said the battery was bad low and I was real bad close to having been stuck on the side of the road. Now I have to wait until the part comes in and they install it. Hopefully I won't have to wait more than 3 or 4 days.

I did overhear them read out a code (can't remember the number), but it was exactly like I was getting...5 numbers instead of four and no letters. So, I guess that the '09's and newer are a little different in what they output in the diag thing now than they were for the '04-'08's. Couldn't get any other info about what they mean or anything.

I don't understand though how a bad voltage regulator and stator would make my 6th gear light stop working, or why I never noticed my headlight getting dimmer and dimmer. If what they're saying is correct, my power would have just 'suddenly run out', instead of one minute getting on the bike and the starter just 'clicking' or something.

Comment

the symptoms of a weakening battery or charging system failure you explained would prolly happen with older bikes, which is what we're used to seeing. but this new computer controlled systems do some crazy sh!t and i've seen stuff i can't explain or did i believe. they should replace the stator and regulator AND the battery because obviously the charging system failure has cause the bad battery

Comment

Working...
                              X