Yeah, I knew I'd do something dumb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I knew I'd do something dumb

Ok, did the tour pack detach kit for my ultra and didn't get a chance to shorten the wires that are left on the bike when it's off. I've been rolling them up nice and neat and gingerly placing them under the seat. Well the other day I was washing the bike and noticed that the hard plastic passenger headset receptical had slipped through a hole and conveniently found the rear tire...wore it clean through right where the wires go into the hard rubber part. I was able to salvage the part that goes back to the harness and I really don't use the rear headset after the first time we tried it but it would be nice to be able to repair it for whenever I decide I do want to use it or if I ever sell the bike. Anybody have a spare rear audio wire harness that they're not using? Maybe from a salvaged bike?
    John
    Herd member #20
    2005 Ultra Classic
    Does my Heaven burn like Hell on you?
    sigpic

Would Radio Shack carry the harness?
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
      Would Radio Shack carry the harness?
      I was thinkin it my be a standard plug in but dont know if ya get a sealed/weather tight one like HD
      THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
      How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

Permatex Spray and Seal in an aerosol can. $6 per can...
        2010 FLHX - Street Glide
        HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

This is what is no longer attached...I may be able to get at enough wire to splice it... I think there is slack in the total length

The actual Harley part is 70160-04A and runs $240ish!!!!!($180 shipped at Zanotti's)
          Last edited by elPrez; 07-27-2010, 09:35 AM.
          John
          Herd member #20
          2005 Ultra Classic
          sigpic

Comment

Yea thats what I try first get some heat shrink and a chunk of seven or eight wire cable whatever that is, solder so it wont pull loose, Liquid electric tape maybe to seal better I kinda thought you ground the connection itself

Hope those wires are all individally coded some way it could get tricky if they aint

Comment

That is repairable, if you take your time. I have seen worse get repaired, and look good as new. The only area of concern is going to be wear and tear when you get it fixed. Looks like the area that is broke is also the area that gets rubbed when used normally. Like vlade stated, solder the wires and insulate, plus a good heavy heat shrink over the whole area.
              HERD # 00075
              08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
              USMC Veteran

Comment

Nah, normally it sits all clear under the tour pack and shouldn't hit anything.
                Vlade, yeah it's all color coded so even a dummy like me can put it back together!
                I didn't even think about adding an inch or two of my own wire when repairing, just pictured trying to fit back what I had left. DUH!
                Looks like a winter project...
                John
                Herd member #20
                2005 Ultra Classic
                sigpic

Comment

trick is makin the reconnects as small an thin as possible so you dont have a big lump there, heat shrink on each individual wire will take up less space than tape but you gotta have enough room to slip the heat shrink on, not get it hot while soldering and then slide it over the joint an shrink it.

Stagger the joints if possible so they aint all in one spot helps with insulation AND helps keepin the overall joint thin.
                  Last edited by vlade; 07-27-2010, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Mine you can pull out a short distance, and I believe I have a sleave that it pulss through. Have to look at it when I get home. One of only days I have not rode to work.
                    HERD # 00075
                    USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by DevilDogBagger View Post
                      Mine you can pull out a short distance, and I believe I have a sleave that it pulss through. Have to look at it when I get home. One of only days I have not rode to work.
                      Unless theres a change its a slide clip but open so you can pull it totaly out of the fixture

Comment

These are Judoman's 08 Ultra and you can see that it looks like you should be good if you do what vlade mentioned on the shrink wrap. I would just keep an eye on the spring rubbing on it.

HERD # 00075
                        USMC Veteran

Comment

Yep...right there where the spring attaches is where it wore through. Actually the guy I bought the bike from had removed the spring and it was laying in the tour pak
                          John
                          Herd member #20
                          2005 Ultra Classic
                          sigpic

Comment

You should be able to fix that then.... a good soldering job, followed up with shrink wrap then maybe wrapped again and you should be good to go.
                            HERD # 00075
                            USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by elPrez View Post
                              Yep...right there where the spring attaches is where it wore through. Actually the guy I bought the bike from had removed the spring and it was laying in the tour pak
                              That was the fugg up right there, Dont think HD wasted a spring for the hell of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X