Brake light stays on and no turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake light stays on and no turn signals

well I am leaning heavy on the HERD do it yourselfers to help me out yet again.....cause you guys rock!!

SO heres the issue, my brake lights were acting twitchy the other day and when I pushed the front brake lever forward they would turn off, but now the brakelights are on constant and suddenly my turn signals no longer work. I took the front apart and saw no unplugged wires and I also too the handle assm apart and the brake switch seemed to be working properly. does anyone have any ideas? thanks swanny!
    There aint no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good!

07 Street Glide " SOUL SHAKER"
    Vance and Hines Slipon Ovals
    U.S.Navy Corpsman
    Official HERD Member #00175

Look at the plunger on you front brake master cylinder................More than likely you'll need to rebuild the front master cylinder. I had that happen twice on my RK...............Same exact symptoms and a front master cylinder rebuild cured the problem.

Would almost bet money that is your issue with the brake lights.
    Herd Member #87
    US Navy Veteran

Comment

ok I will have to look into that. is it a simple process

U.S.Navy Corpsman

Comment

Honestly the two times it happened on my RK...............I was on the road so it was done at a dealership while traveling. Think they charged me $90 for each time.
        Herd Member #87
        US Navy Veteran

Comment

Toughest part is getting the air out of your lines after putting it back together. And that's not so hard to do either.
          2010 FLHX - Street Glide
          HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

$90 ish bucks vers me trying something that is needed to stop the bike???? think this guy has a reason to stop at the local Hog Barn!! thanks for the input. now I need to figure out whats up with my turn signals I think the module may have died but I have no idea..... I might just have the Hog tech check that out while they have it. thank you again you guys never fail me with your knowledge!!!

U.S.Navy Corpsman

Comment

Let us know if that was in fact the issue.......................
              Herd Member #87
              US Navy Veteran

Comment

Swanny that brake light issue happened to me on the way to HS5. Rear brake master cylinder rebuild cured it. I believe Jeff has correctly diagnosed
                Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
                Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
                See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

Sorry if I am being Mr. Obvious but you didn't mention having checked any fuses. Could a blown fuse be the cause of the non-functioning turn signals? G'day, Vinish
                  Official HERD Member #00217

Comment

nope I checked all fuses and they all where good to go........the brake rebuild sounds like it may be it the bike is an 07 and never had any brake work yet so I am sure its time for the brakes to have issues.

U.S.Navy Corpsman

Comment

re-build kit and 1 hour of labor including bleeding for me, it was easy
                      1986 FXR 2015 Road Glide

Member #00014

Comment

It might be a good thing in this limited case that your bike is an older one (2007). That means it probably does not have ABS which means that bleeding the brakes can be done by yourself should you wish to take that approach. I've bled the brakes on my '06 softail when I changed from stock to platinum braided stainless lines and it was real easy. I've read that bleeding of brakes on a bike with ABS requires the ABS pump to cycle at a fast rate and to make this happen requires a Harley shop computer or something like that in the professional mechanic's arsenal.

G'day,

Vinish
                        Official HERD Member #00217

Comment

Sounds like that might do it. I have a module that controls my brake light and blinkers both so when I step on the brake the rear blinkers also light up. I've had to replace that due to similar thing.
                          x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
                          HERD member #66
                          HS I Survivor
                          HS II Survivor
                          HS III Survivor
                          HS IV,V,VI wanted to go.....

Comment

I know it's been a hit minute on this topic....but wanted to give it some closure......I chased down the issue to the rear break line and BAM my wire was welded to my exhaust!!!!! So a little tape cutting and redneckjenutiy and I was back up with no more light issues!

U.S.Navy Corpsman

Comment

Working...
                            X