What Did I Do Wrong ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Did I Do Wrong ?

Hello all.. well first I have to give a little background. I own a big truck and haul oversize. With that I have extensive mechanical background in fixing things. Usaually what I broke. Also have alot of experience with boats and boat motors and other small engines. However, first time around on doing stuff on the harley.. OK enough of the background.. here is the problem. I have a 06 heritage softail deluxe. . About a month ago the compensater went out.. so I reserched everything . went and watched a ton of youtube repair videos and did the repair. Only thing that I added was a auto tenacher. Took my time and put everything back as the manual and videos said. Took it out and it rode nice. Except I didn't like the adjustment on the clutch. It sometimes grinds when you put it in gear. Like the clutch isn't engaging. So I thought maybe I better check my work on the adjustment. Which I did as directed. However , soon as I removed the durby cover I found this.. big gouge in the brand new gasket. I should mention that I did get a new fancy cover. But I checked and the back is the same as the stock one. I also torqued the bolts down in the order the manual showed.. so question is. What did I do wrong to make it gouge like this.. much appreciated for any help

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	693.0 KB
ID:	1240306Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	642.7 KB
ID:	1240307

That's a sharp and even gouge. What did you use to remove the cover for the clutch? Did you insert insert anything to maintain the basket from turning while adjusting the clutch?

2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

No.. i just did what i seen in the videos. When I adjusted it. I turned the allen clockwise just until i felt a little tension. Then backed it off to what the manual said..

Comment

To be honest I dont remember the exact process. However, I thought i did exactly what it said. But obviously i didnt

Comment

Wish I could help but yea something is not right for that to happen,
          1986 FXR 2015 Road Glide

Member #00014

Comment

Update.. after I readjusted the clutch couple days qgo. I put the old non gouged durby cover on and went for a couple short rides. I just now removed the cover and there isn't a gouge mark or even anything close to it. The gouge mark did clearly come from the clutch plates bolts. When I readjusted everything I looked down and there is clearence between the gasket and the bolts.. so maybe I slipped up am some how didn't have the gasket installed properily. I will run it again and check it before installing a new gasket.. thanks for your help...

Comment

cool, hopefully that was all it was.
              1986 FXR 2015 Road Glide

Member #00014

Comment

Originally posted by DIESEL-FUMES View Post
                Update.. after I readjusted the clutch couple days qgo. I put the old non gouged durby cover on and went for a couple short rides. I just now removed the cover and there isn't a gouge mark or even anything close to it. The gouge mark did clearly come from the clutch plates bolts. When I readjusted everything I looked down and there is clearence between the gasket and the bolts.. so maybe I slipped up am some how didn't have the gasket installed properily. I will run it again and check it before installing a new gasket.. thanks for your help...

That's great news!
                2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

A little late here.
                  It appears that the gasket had slipped inside of the cover/case and then the bolts or chain had its way with it.
                  Ear Tag no. 00030
                  MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
                  Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
                  If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
                  The missing link
                  http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

DIESEL, I'm also late to the dance here.

Naturally, after you got it all figured out.

My latest gasket I installed also has a concave saucer-dish look to it. For the life of me, I don't know why this gasket is solid. There is a version that looks more normally like one. Anyway, I was tempted to turn mine around backward to turn the dog-dish out, to follow the concave derby cover.

Anyway, it is indeed the flange bolt heads to the spring retainer that skinned your gasket up some. Maybe one of the bolts was raised up? Unknown.

Glad you got it fixed, and no harm done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_35888.jpg
Size:	1,020.2 KB
ID:	1240354
                    PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

Comment

Working...
                    X