West Coast Ride September 18th 0 October 8th 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Coast Ride September 18th 0 October 8th 2010

Hello and hope everyone had a great riding season and doing well. While mine is quickly coming to an end is was a good year.

This fall my wife and I rode our 2001 Ultra Harley- by God- Davidson from New Hampster to San Diego, California. Over 7000 miles thru some of the most God awful middle of nowheres for hundeds and hundreds of miles country. And loved every minute of it!

For example, Kansas state route 400 from Pittsburg,KS... to and thru La Junta,Colorado while beautiful,flat and 70mph is basically 2/3 prairie. About 500 miles of no wheresville. Gas stops had to be paid attention to. Yes there was Dodge City,Garden City, Wichita,KS and other urban compact but between that it seemed to be far and few between.

Nevada,Utah,Arizona,New Mexico,Oklahoma I-40/rt66 is scary desert fit for vultures and lizards. I loved the diversity of the views of the landscape but I always kept thinking "sure would hate to get stuck here, glad I'm not on a metric bike",lol.

All the big cities sucked arse. I suppose the redeeming quality of big cities is we knew there was civilization and help if we got stranded for what ever reason. We never poked around one because every big city has a non white zone and it'd be my luck to find myself knee deep in it so we just kept going.

Some of the cities we drove thru were, Springfield and Hartford,CT/Scranton,Wilks-Barre,PA/Zanesville,Columbus,Dayton Ohio/Indianapolis,IN/Peoria,ILL/Cedar Rapids,Des Moines IA/KC,St Louis,MO/Dodge and Garden City,KS,Durango,Grand Junction,CO/Las Vegas,NV/Barstow,LA,Riverside,San Diego,Ca/Kingman,Winslow,Flagstaff,AZ/Gallop,Albuquerque,NM/Amarillo,TX/Oklahoma City,Tulsa,Oklahoma.

We also jumped on and off I-40 to ride rt66, stopping in Seligman(the birth place of rt66). While nostalgic, not very well maintained, 55MPH speed limit and limited resources.

It was cool to ride thru Winslow,AZ(Eagles "take it easy"). "Amarillo by morning" and "living on Tulsa time",lol. We cruised thru the Vegas strip but did not stop to gamble...I work hard for my money to give it away. I forgot about Pawn Stars pawn shop I wanted to see that and I forgot.

The scariest was the Colorado state route 550 between Durango and Ouray otherwise known as the Million0n dollar hwy or the highway of death...MF'ing scary!!! 12-15000 foot elevation. Narrow roads. No breakdown lanes except an occasional pull over spot here and there. The back to back to back switchbacks are really like uturns and one had to slow down to about 8-12 mph.....loaded dresseer with 2 up ain't meant to go that slow. My rig was wobbling thru those swicthbacks and fried my nerves. Wolf creek pass was one of the best views and best rides.

Every night when we got to the hotel I would have to spend time on the computer to strategize the next 4-500 miles day and locate towns and where there might be gas stations. We tried to only stop at Shell,Exxon etc....One time, in I think perhaps outside Garden city,KS we pulled into this no name 5 isle station. The far right one was open so I pulled in. I noticed as I got off the bike everyone was standing at the managers door and they appeared locked out. A gentleman came up to us and recommended not to get the gas here as everyone who did did not make it out of the parking lot. I was so grateful for that heads up. It would have been a disaster.

All in all the weather cooperated. The worst of it was the last 3-4 hours home from just west of Hartford,CT to home. It rained cats and dog right to our doorstep. Couldn't complain because that was it. The rest of the trip was perfect weather.

I got 2 oil changes and a back tire and my 2001 HD Ultra performed flawlessly. The SE 204 cam and stage I down load did its job. I cruised at 70-80mph no problem.

Thanks for reading our story.

Heading out the morning of 9-18-10

Picture in downtown Scanton,PA looking for gas.
    Last edited by badinfluence63; 11-03-2010, 06:06 AM.
    HERD#00004
    *disclaimer: I am not an expert. Like everyone else I have an opinion.

HS1 and HS2 Attendee
    http://forum.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/

Paracord Crew Member

The scariest was the Colorado state route 550 between Durango and Ouray otherwise known as the Million0n dollar hwy or the highway of death...MF'ing scary!!! 12-15000 foot elevation. Narrow roads. No breakdown lanes except an occasional pull over spot here and there. The back to back to back switchbacks are really like uturns and one had to slow down to about 8-12 mph.....loaded dresseer with 2 up ain't meant to go that slow. My rig was wobbling thru those swicthbacks and fried my nerves. Wolf creek pass was one of the best views and best rides.
    That's a great write up! And the elevation from above would pucker me up! Did you ride with the lower shield all the way?
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

I did. In fact it was helpful to see thru the windshield during occasional and momentary rain. The 6 inch shield directs the wind just over my head. So I can see clearly ahead when it rians and get some buffeting relief. The stock windshield made me claustophobic. And no matter what I did I just couldn't see thru it during torential rain.

One thing I added just before I left was an XM radio..it was a God send. Listened to the Patriots game while riding thru the Mojave desert,lol.
      HERD#00004

HS1 and HS2 Attendee

Paracord Crew Member

Comment

Sounds like you had a great trip and an excellent write up as well, good to hear from you again.
        Herd Member #87
        US Navy Veteran

Comment

Wolf Creek Pass

Coming thru Wolf creek pass,Colorado.

Hotel we stayed in when arriving to Ouray. If you look close thats me on the porch calling home making sure the dogs are okay:

It was an original condition 1800's cowboy saloon and flop house. Rooms to rent only 30$. Furniture,spitoons and everything original. WHile not Best western it was a bed,lol.
          Last edited by badinfluence63; 11-03-2010, 06:43 AM.
          HERD#00004

HS1 and HS2 Attendee

Paracord Crew Member

Comment

what an awesome pic
            Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Heading home and will if anyone wants to see them, I can post photos of the National Motorcycel Museum, JP Cycles in Anamosa,IA, the AMA motorcycle museum in Perkerington, Ohio and other cool stuff we saw along the way.

Rt66 is pretty scarred up, speed limit 55mph, and doesn't seem to have many services that are available.

Thanks for the opportunity to share our ride/story. We are pretty excited about having had the opportunity and getting home safely. In the southwest, as you know Boss you are in the middle no where for hundreds of miles of desert.
              HERD#00004

HS1 and HS2 Attendee

Paracord Crew Member

Comment

I say post up the some of what you saw out there. The Museum would be good to see. Most of us will never be able to see some of the Country as you did.
                2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Pictures are always great, would love to see them.
                  Herd Member #87
                  US Navy Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by wndchsr View Post
                    Pictures are always great, would love to see them.
                    entrance to the AMA museum:

189? motorcycle:

old HD

She wish's

WTF is this:

HERD#00004

HS1 and HS2 Attendee

Paracord Crew Member

Comment

what a wunnerful trip!
                      Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

coming into Indiana:

coming into illinois:

Iowa:

Iowa rain clouds. It went from 98 degrees clear and sunny to this in about 2 mnutes:

HERD#00004

HS1 and HS2 Attendee

Paracord Crew Member

Comment

jp cycles:

Home of JP Cycles anamosa iowa:

inside JP cycles:

more:

the whole JP bldg:

HERD#00004

HS1 and HS2 Attendee

Paracord Crew Member

Comment

I tell you anamosa,Iowa is the place to go. Thre is the national Motorcle Museum, JP Cycles and "Scooters" bar and grill:

have you ever seen a sandwich like that. Its a tenderloin sandwich and something Iowans eat all the time.:

Friend of mine who lives in Newton,IA road up and met us there to show us the sights:

Last edited by badinfluence63; 11-04-2010, 07:29 AM.
                            HERD#00004

HS1 and HS2 Attendee

Paracord Crew Member

Comment

Awesome write up....... Can't wait to take another road trip...
                              HERD # 00075
                              08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
                              USMC Veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X