Woodstock - 50 Years and One Week Later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodstock - 50 Years and One Week Later

50 years ago last weekend almost half a millon people cramed themselves into a section of lawn on an upstate NY farm to witness what was at that point the largest live music event in history!!!!! Now the name of this festival, Woodstock, is factually incorrect as the small town of Woodstock is actually approx 60-70 miles Northeast from the festival site. But incorrect or not, the name stuck and it will always be known as Woodstock regardless. I was much too young to attend this awesome concert but a little over 50 years later I finally made my way to the famous 1969 music festival site located in the small town of Bethel, NY.

Here are some pictures my friend Jim and I took during our visit yesterday. If you've never been there yourself, these pictures show what the festival site looks like today.

This first picture was not taken in the Bethel, NY area and is not near the famous Woodstock music festival site. In fact, this was taken while we were riding in NJ but I thought I would share it anyway. Take a look above my hand giving the "Horns Up" gesture on the GPS screen to see what County Route (CR) number I'm on here! So metal and awesome I just had to pull over and take this picture!!! lol

Click image for larger version  Name:	Horns Up.jpg Views:	0 Size:	316.9 KB ID:	1249200

Why I asked Jim to take these next two pictures for me should be obvious. How weird and funny is it that this is the actual name of the road this place is located on! lol

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodstock Music  Festival Site 01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	380.8 KB ID:	1249201

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	217.4 KB ID:	1249202

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	355.6 KB ID:	1249203

The view of the lawn where the audience was seated as seen from the road behind the area where the stage had been set up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	337.0 KB ID:	1249204

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 07.jpg Views:	0 Size:	293.0 KB ID:	1249205

Sign at the entrance to the official Woodstock memorial area.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 09.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.9 KB ID:	1249206

The official stone memorial next to the lawn where the concert was held.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	276.0 KB ID:	1249207

A picture of the concert that someone has left next to the stone memorial that shows the enormous crowd covering the hillside during the show with the stage set up at the bottom on the left.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	445.1 KB ID:	1249208

A panoramic shot showing the entire concert area.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	426.6 KB ID:	1249209

Hey look at me, I'm at Woodstock!!! Sure I'm 50 years too late, but I did finally make it here!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 14.jpg Views:	0 Size:	351.6 KB ID:	1249210

The "peace tree" just a few steps away from the stone memorial. Many people have left rocks with their names scratched into them, pictures, prayer cards and other small momentos at this tree.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 15.jpg Views:	0 Size:	259.8 KB ID:	1249211

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 16.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.3 KB ID:	1249212

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 17.jpg Views:	0 Size:	283.8 KB ID:	1249213

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 18.jpg Views:	0 Size:	270.7 KB ID:	1249214

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 19.jpg Views:	0 Size:	283.9 KB ID:	1249215

Click image for larger version  Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 20.jpg Views:	0 Size:	281.6 KB ID:	1249216

Mike
    Official HERD Member #00164
    '00 Softail Deuce "Tribal Mistress" - Gone but never forgotten!

Current Ride - '17 Road Glide (Ultra) Special - 107ci Stage 1, Ultra Tour-Pak, fairing lowers, saddlebag guards, blacked out front end and exhaust, more changes to come!

I could only post a max of 20 pictures per post so here are the last 4 pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 21.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	1249218

Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 22.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	520.3 KB
ID:	1249219

Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 23.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	493.6 KB
ID:	1249220

A different tree near the "peace tree" that someone has carved a peace symbol into.

Name:	Woodstock Music Festival Site 24.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	1249221

And that is the end of my pictures from this short visit to the Woodstock music festival site folks. I'm late to the party for sure but at least I can say I was at Woodstock....................50 years later!!!

Mike
    Official HERD Member #00164
    '00 Softail Deuce "Tribal Mistress" - Gone but never forgotten!

Current Ride - '17 Road Glide (Ultra) Special - 107ci Stage 1, Ultra Tour-Pak, fairing lowers, saddlebag guards, blacked out front end and exhaust, more changes to come!

Comment

How cool is this! Thank you for this, Mike!

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

Comment

I'm too young to know anything about Woodstock but I enjoy the pictures.

So people still go there and leave stuff behind?
        2010 FLHX - Street Glide
        HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

I was in high school. Autoshop class, a bunch of students was talking about all these hippies that was going to invade our town, drifting in from someplace called Woodstock. talked how they was gonna kick their asses and cut their hair. I laughed at them. I knew not one thing of what a hippie was but I knew they was just people no matter what. I told them yahooos I`d be backing the hippies, then they was gonna kick My ass, even the whole bunch of them together was too chicken to take that project on.
          Any how, Our town never was invaded by them hippies and peace was once again restored,
          Ear Tag no. 00030
          MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
          Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
          If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
          The missing link
          http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

What a great TRIP! (pun intended). Did you get yourself any of that Brown Acid? LOL

I was among the few hundred burnouts in the town of Woodstock saying....where's the concert maaaan? Just kidding, I was only 11 then. My older sister went. She to this day is such a sweet heart, a true "flower child" deep down inside.

We were up there two summers ago, Bethel Woods is about an hour and half away from us. I wish we knew you guys were in the area we could have met up. Great back roads riding up that way.

I guess the 50th anniversary concert, to be held at Watkins Glen raceway, got scrapped. I read the promoter was known for screwing artists and he could not get enough to commit to a show, only a handful of modern rap and pop bands signed up....not Woodstock material. I would have went to that, if any of the remaining old timers were playing. Maybe in a future life.

Thanks Mike.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
              I'm too young to know anything about Woodstock but I enjoy the pictures.

So people still go there and leave stuff behind?
              Road trip!

Herdstock 2020?
              Mark

Comment

GREAT thread, Mike!

My bucket list grows longer every day.
                Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
                Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
                See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

Originally posted by BaggerBum View Post

Road trip!

Herdstock 2020?
                  Originally posted by LilJo View Post
                  GREAT thread, Mike!

My bucket list grows longer every day.
                  Road trip and one that I would head out there with an Arkansanian any day! I'll make an exception with a Oklahomanian too.

2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                  HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Very cool
                    sigpicHERD medic! #00039
                    I am Jase's precious
                    If you are what you eat, then I'm delicious!
                    I miss you Rick, you goofball
                    HPH- The Legend

Comment

I never cared all that much about Woodstock the festival, but I'd like to go just for the scenery. Looks very pretty around there.
                      Kristy
                      Official HERD Member #00205

'09 Softail Deluxe - Mojo
                      Stage 1, dyno, no major mods but it's shiny!

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyGirl65 View Post
                        I never cared all that much about Woodstock the festival, but I'd like to go just for the scenery. Looks very pretty around there.
                        The Northeast, PA, NY, state, and New England, is beautiful. Vermont and New Hampshire are rural gems.

Woodstock of 1969 is immortalized with the building of the Bethel Woods Center for Performing Arts. The theme is Woodstock, peace, love and music and the center is a modern day concert venue with many other events taking place there. It's a preservation of not just the festival but of the turbulent times of the period, the Vietnam war, racial issues, political debachuray, drugs, though the focus here is the festival. https://www.bethelwoodscenter.org/

You should go. Lay out in the field. Sing along with Country Joe and the Fish and CSN. I suggest not dropping any acid as you will be the only one out in the field without the benefit of 500,000 others to cover your silly antics. LOL!

Mark

Comment

Agreed! If we could get all of you Herdsters up here youd be amazed at how nice it is!
                          Bob

Official HERD Member #00230

Westchester County, NY
                          '17 FLHXS Street Glide Special

Comment

From pictures I have seen, it does appear to be a lovely area. Seems there are some isolated areas too.
                            Ear Tag no. 00030
                            MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
                            Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
                            If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
                            The missing link
                            http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post

Road trip and one that I would head out there with an Arkansanian any day! I'll make an exception with a Oklahomanian too.

Itd be a joy Frank.
                              Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
                              Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
                              See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

Working...
                              X