My Herdstock 10 Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! Where is my post I posted a day or two ago? I'll start over:

Wow! Glad you pulled through that one Mike. Tire aside it looked to be a great trip. Wish I could have made it. Question - what kind of tire blew out on ya? Looks maybe to be A Harley-Dunlop?
    Mark

Comment

This is better than CNN.
      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJ View Post
        great pics and write up Mike! So thankful you were able to get the bike stopped safely. It was really great seeing you again, hopefully we won't have to wait another 5 years to meet up again.
        Thanks Josh. It was great seeing you and the rest of the assembled HERD there again! 5 years is too long between Herdstocks, hopefully I can get to the next one much sooner.
        Mike
        Official HERD Member #00164
        '00 Softail Deuce "Tribal Mistress" - Gone but never forgotten!

Current Ride - '17 Road Glide (Ultra) Special - 107ci Stage 1, Ultra Tour-Pak, fairing lowers, saddlebag guards, blacked out front end and exhaust, more changes to come!

Comment

Originally posted by jirvin View Post
          Awesome recap Mike! Great pics! Wow that tire blowout is crazy! I can't believe it came apart like that. How many miles did that tire have on it? So glad you were able to keep it up and stopped without going down.
          Thanks Jeff. Believe it or not, this tire was almost new. I had this put on in either October or November 2018, I would have to dig up the receipt to be sure which. It only had about 3000 miles or so on it and the tire date is from last year, so it's not like it was an old tire that was sitting around for years that might have already started to dry rot before letting go like this. This is just a massive failure of an almost new tire and you can see from the pics that it failed right at the lip/seam where the sidewall meets the tread.
          Mike

Current Ride - '17 Road Glide (Ultra) Special - 107ci Stage 1, Ultra Tour-Pak, fairing lowers, saddlebag guards, blacked out front end and exhaust, more changes to come!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
            I bet the blowout was a scary situation and made your butt pucker up. As you said, years of experience and the grace of God helped you through that. That tire looks almost new for it to have failed like that.
            It was most definitely a scary ride from the second it happened to the second I came to a halt!!! And yes, the tire was still pretty new so there is no way it should have failed this early. There has to be a factory defect at work here, maybe a bad batch of rubber or something? I don't know but it shouldn't have failed when it did.
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Firenailer View Post
              Great follow up on the trip and you must be living right my brother, that tire blowout had to be a hell of a thing to ride out! Glad you kept it upright!
              Thanks Bob. It was "a hell of a thing to ride out" for sure!!! This is an experience that I hope to never repeat again!!!
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Geespot View Post
                Living it with you once again Mike. That's one hell of a blowout, not sure how you kept it upright.
                Hey George. I'm as surprised as you are that I actually managed to ride it out to a safe stop!!!
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by hockeydawg12 View Post
                  WOW!!! So glad you made it home safe!!!
                  Thanks Chad.
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pink Harley View Post
                    Wow!!!!!
                    Hey Cindy.
                    Is that a Wow for my trip recap and pics?
                    Or for the massive tire blow out?
                    Or the fact that I managed to keep the bike upright during said massive blow out?
                    Or is it a Wow for all of the above? lol
                    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by BaggerBum View Post
                      Wow! Where is my post I posted a day or two ago? I'll start over:

Wow! Glad you pulled through that one Mike. Tire aside it looked to be a great trip. Wish I could have made it. Question - what kind of tire blew out on ya? Looks maybe to be A Harley-Dunlop?
                      Thanks Mark. It was the OEM Harley-Dunlop that comes on my bike. I had it replaced last year in either October or November. It only had around 3000 miles on it when it failed.
                      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post

Hey Cindy.
                        Is that a Wow for my trip recap and pics?
                        Or for the massive tire blow out?
                        Or the fact that I managed to keep the bike upright during said massive blow out?
                        Or is it a Wow for all of the above? lol
                        Yes!!!!
                        sigpicHERD medic! #00039
                        I am Jase's precious
                        If you are what you eat, then I'm delicious!
                        I miss you Rick, you goofball
                        HPH- The Legend

Comment

Thanks Mark. It was the OEM Harley-Dunlop that comes on my bike. I had it replaced last year in either October or November. It only had around 3000 miles on it when it failed.
                          Id kinda like to know exactly how long it was sitting at the dealer and how old it was. You can pull that info off the side of the tire and if they put you in harms way....they ought to hear about it buddy. If you need some help Ill be happy to come along while you smack the service manager lol!
                          Bob

Official HERD Member #00230

Westchester County, NY
                          '17 FLHXS Street Glide Special

Comment

It was most definitely a scary ride from the second it happened to the second I came to a halt!!! And yes, the tire was still pretty new so there is no way it should have failed this early. There has to be a factory defect at work here, maybe a bad batch of rubber or something? I don't know but it shouldn't have failed when it did.

Did you have the rim inspected? I would think it was the tire but I would want to check if something else caused the failure.
                            2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                            HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pink Harley View Post

Yes!!!!
                              Thanks Cindy, this makes it all so clear now.
                              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Firenailer View Post

Id kinda like to know exactly how long it was sitting at the dealer and how old it was. You can pull that info off the side of the tire and if they put you in harms way....they ought to hear about it buddy. If you need some help Ill be happy to come along while you smack the service manager lol!
                                The tire was made last year. The date code reads 2918, so it was made during the 29th week of 2018. It had less than 4,000 miles on it when it failed.
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X