My Herdstock 10 Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BaggerBum View Post
    Great pics Mike! Thanks for the viewing.
    Thanks and you're welcome.
    Mike
    Official HERD Member #00164
    '00 Softail Deuce "Tribal Mistress" - Gone but never forgotten!

Current Ride - '17 Road Glide (Ultra) Special - 107ci Stage 1, Ultra Tour-Pak, fairing lowers, saddlebag guards, blacked out front end and exhaust, more changes to come!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pink Harley View Post
      awesome
      Thanks Cindy.
      Mike

Current Ride - '17 Road Glide (Ultra) Special - 107ci Stage 1, Ultra Tour-Pak, fairing lowers, saddlebag guards, blacked out front end and exhaust, more changes to come!

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
        Mike! Great write-up so far...

Hey, check this out!

Click image for larger version Name:	image_37692.jpg Views:	0 Size:	881.3 KB ID:	1248662

Bombdog, HPH and I were there 6 years ago...

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-20130919-01411_zps80c13372.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.8 KB ID:	1248663

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-20130919-01412_zpsec9b17cc.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.2 KB ID:	1248664

Now, for some reason, I didn't capture Dan in any pic's. Can't figure it out.

Thanks and there is more to come. It's cool that you guys were there too and you also took a picture of the same NTP sign!
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
          Mike, here's another... Love that sign in Vidalia...

Click image for larger version Name:	image_37691.jpg Views:	2 Size:	354.1 KB ID:	1248668

Here's some Herdsters at that sign in 2013...

Click image for larger version Name:	66632684_10161893828610004_6163846585991036928_n.jpg Views:	2 Size:	107.8 KB ID:	1248669

You are exactly right... riding The Trace isn't for every rider, as the speed limit is "leisurely", but I returned solo on every inch of it, shortly after this pic was taken. (Missed a danged good breakfast, too.)

I had the time of my life, riding NNE on the entire Trace solo, getting to the northern end at dusk, and making it to the north end of Nashville before calling it a day. The solitude, and the scenery is wonderful.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your trip.

The one I MISSED.

Another deja vu moment here for sure! Thanks for posting your pics from a previous trip there.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
            Well it took a week but I'm here again now, so let me get back to posting more from my road trip.
            Mike

Comment

I'll pick up with the pictures right where I left off last week. So here are more shots from our Tuesday night visit to Nashville.

Some more pics of the city skyline.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 043.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.9 KB ID:	1248822

This is a panoramic shot of the above city skyline pics I posted so far all stitched together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 044.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.1 KB ID:	1248823

A picture that better shows the Cumberland River and the image of the Nashville skyline reflected in it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 045.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.2 KB ID:	1248824

Posing for a picture on the John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge that crosses the Cumberland River leading directly into downtown Nashville.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 046.jpg Views:	0 Size:	173.0 KB ID:	1248825

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 047.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.9 KB ID:	1248826

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 048.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.6 KB ID:	1248827

Another good picture of the Cumberland with a cool reflection on its surface.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 049.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.6 KB ID:	1248828

Again here is a panoramic shot of the above few pictures together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 050.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.2 KB ID:	1248829

Check out the "ACME FEED & SEED" building. I wonder if this is where Wily Coyote gets the piles of seed he tries to tempt the roadrunner with so he will stand still for a moment! lol

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 051.jpg Views:	0 Size:	180.4 KB ID:	1248830

A cool elevated shot of 2nd Ave S in downtown Nashville near the end of the bridge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 052.jpg Views:	0 Size:	200.5 KB ID:	1248831

A shot of me on the corner of 3rd Ave S and Broadway directly across from Kid Rock's Bar/Steakhouse.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 053.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.2 KB ID:	1248832

The famous Pedal Tavern, a people powered rolling bar that cruises around downtown Nashville. The customers drink as they pedal their way through the streets.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 054.jpg Views:	0 Size:	221.6 KB ID:	1248833

These are all the downtown pictures I have. Next group are from our tour of the GRAND OLE OPRY on Wednesday morning.
              Mike

Comment

GRAND OLE OPRY tour pictures.

I couldn't resist posing with Diane in front of the main entrance walkway.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 055.jpg Views:	0 Size:	406.5 KB ID:	1248838

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 056.jpg Views:	0 Size:	307.5 KB ID:	1248839

A couple of Jim and I before we took the tour.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 057.jpg Views:	0 Size:	352.1 KB ID:	1248840

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 058.jpg Views:	0 Size:	217.7 KB ID:	1248841

A couple of Jim and I in front of the building.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 059.jpg Views:	0 Size:	246.9 KB ID:	1248842

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 060.jpg Views:	0 Size:	201.9 KB ID:	1248843

Country music fans of the HERD, can you correctly name all of the the famous musicians displayed on the building?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 061.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.6 KB ID:	1248844

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 062.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.6 KB ID:	1248845

Cool "food truck" that is actually an old bus!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 063.jpg Views:	0 Size:	267.5 KB ID:	1248846

The world famous stage where so many famous country music stars have performed over the years.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 064.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.0 KB ID:	1248847

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 065.jpg Views:	0 Size:	254.8 KB ID:	1248848

The unusual purple padding on the wooden benches that fill out the auditorium.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 066.jpg Views:	0 Size:	213.1 KB ID:	1248849

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 067.jpg Views:	0 Size:	224.7 KB ID:	1248850

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 068.jpg Views:	0 Size:	241.2 KB ID:	1248851

The view of the famous stage from the walkway that runs across the auditorium.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Herdstock 10 069.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.0 KB ID:	1248852
                Mike

Comment

Okay here are the last group of pictures from my trip.

This is a weird speed limit sign that is the posted speed limit in the shopping plaza where the GRAND OLE OPRY HOUSE is located. This is the first time I have ever seen a sign with this speed so I thought it deserved a picture and also a mention in my road trip story. I wonder what were they thinking when they posted these signs all around the shopping plaza???

Click image for larger version

Name:	Herdstock 10 070.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	1248854

Wednesday afternoon after we left Nashville, Jim and I headed North to Kentucky. But instead of going directly to HS 10, we spent the rest of the afternoon and the night with some friends of Jim at their lake cabin just North of Mammoth Cave State Park.

Here we are entering Kentucky.

Name:	Herdstock 10 071.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	737.5 KB
ID:	1248855

The area around a dam we passed on our ride to his friends cabin.

Name:	Herdstock 10 073.jpg
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	1248856

Name:	Herdstock 10 074.jpg
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	1248857

The dam spillway.

Name:	Herdstock 10 075.jpg
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	1248858

These next 5 pics are of the lake.

Name:	Herdstock 10 076.jpg
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	1248859

Name:	Herdstock 10 077.jpg
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	1248860

Name:	Herdstock 10 078.jpg
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	1248861

Name:	Herdstock 10 079.jpg
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	1248862

A panoramic shot of the lake.

Name:	Herdstock 10 080.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	1248863

Finally entering Mammoth Cave National Park on Thursday afternoon.

Name:	Herdstock 10 081.jpg
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	1248864

Name:	Herdstock 10 082.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	527.7 KB
ID:	1248865

So Friday morning Jim and I said our goodbyes since he would be heading home and I planned to still continue my trip for another week on the road solo. My plan was to visit a number of towns that I was looking at as possible potential places to move to someday to get an overall first impression of each location. Unfortunately that didn't happen because a huge weather front was moving into the area so I had to cut my trip short and head for home to avoid a week long pattern of rain and thunderstorms.

Friday morning I rode down with members of the HERD to Nashville for a day trip where we spent the better part of a day bar hopping and enjoying all the live music each bar was pumping out. After a while some of the group headed back to Mammoth Cave but our smaller group, which now was made up of Clone/Jerry, his wife April, and his friend (sorry can't remember his name) and I stayed in Nashville until around 6pm or so. After an epic hours long afternoon Karaoke session with Jerry and I taking turns belting out song after song, they too finally decided to head back. I walked Jerry and April back to his bike and wished them a safe ride back to Mammoth Cave and then back home again from there. After they left I stayed a little while longer, probably an additional hour or so, in Nashville then I too headed out.

After leaving the downtown area I stopped at a McDonalds to grab a quick late dinner as I was searching for a room for the night. I looked for a while but in the end decided to just head back to the same hotel Jim and I had stayed in Tuesday night. That night as I was relaxing in my room around 10:30pm I decided to check the weather report and radar on my phone and that's when I found out if I didn't leave by early the next day I would be wet for most of the next 7 days no matter which town I was in. The huge green swath of rain on the radar covered the entire states of KY and TN, there was no place I could go to avoid the storm. So I got up early and was all packed by 7:30am saturday morning. After checking out I hit the road by 7:45am or so and started my long Northeast ride back home.

However after initially making good progress with minimal and quick gas & go stops, disaster struck as I was heading North on I-81 in VA. Suddenly my bike started violently shaking and the bars where jerking back and forth in my hands as I tried to hold them steady. I immediately looked for a space to pull over and as luck would have it I was just coming up to an exit ramp. I aimed for the exit ramp and came to a skidding halt in a cloud of smoke wondering what just happened. Well what had just happened was that I had just suffered a massive blow out of my rear tire at interstate speed!!! But through a combination of decades worth of riding skills acquired over the years, pure survival instinct, an enormous amount of luck and in no small part the grace of God, I was some how not only able to live through this potentially fatal tire failure but at the same time also keep myself and my bike off the road!!! It's a miracle that I not only survived but I never went down considering how it could have, and in all probability should have, played out!!! I definitely beat some long odds there let me tell you!!!

After I was stopped safely I had the tough task of pushing my 900lb RGS up an uphill exit ramp and down a section of road to get to a relatively safe spot out of the traffic flow. So after all 150lbs of me has pushed this 900lb bike with a completely flat rear tire for a good distance I can go no further. Both my legs and arms are shaking, I'm totally exhausted from the strain and can't move the bike another foot. Eventually another biker comes riding by and stops to see what's going on. I tell him what happened and he says there is a bike shop about a mile away. He offers to ride there and see if they can come out to tow me in. After a while he comes back to tell me a guy was coming out with a small trailer to get me. So when he got there, after I rested for a bit, I was able to help him roll the bike up a ramp into the trailer. Then he took me back to the bike shop and eventually by 5pm I was able to continue my Saturday ride heading home. I made it to North VA before finally getting a room for the night and finished my ride home Sunday afternoon.

So here are some pics of my blown out rear tire. Looking at the condition of the tire here, it's plain to see just how lucky I was to not have gone down!!! This is no small failure, this is torn open a quarter of the way around the tire!!!

Name:	Herdstock 10 143.jpg
Size:	432.6 KB
ID:	1248866

Name:	Herdstock 10 149.jpg
Size:	451.2 KB
ID:	1248867

Name:	Herdstock 10 150.jpg
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	1248868

Name:	Herdstock 10 154.jpg
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	1248869

So after this near fatal disaster, during the rest of my ride home including all the potholes and the normal crazy NYC area traffic (which took me hours to go the last 50 miles) seemed so minor in comparison. I had cut my road trip short by a week and after 8 days on the road I rolled into my driveway with just over 3300 miles on the trip odometer! This ended my epic HS 10 road trip!

Name:	Herdstock 10 155.jpg
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1248870
                  Mike

Comment

great pics and write up Mike! So thankful you were able to get the bike stopped safely. It was really great seeing you again, hopefully we won't have to wait another 5 years to meet up again.
                    Josh
                    Herd Member #00042
                    2017 Road Glide Ultra

R.I.P. Dad 1951-2015

Comment

Awesome recap Mike! Great pics! Wow that tire blowout is crazy! I can't believe it came apart like that. How many miles did that tire have on it? So glad you were able to keep it up and stopped without going down.
                      Jeff
                      09 FLHRCI
                      Herd Member #00045

Comment

I bet the blowout was a scary situation and made your butt pucker up. As you said, years of experience and the grace of God helped you through that. That tire looks almost new for it to have failed like that.
                        2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                        HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Great follow up on the trip and you must be living right my brother, that tire blowout had to be a hell of a thing to ride out! Glad you kept it upright!
                          Bob

Official HERD Member #00230

Westchester County, NY
                          '17 FLHXS Street Glide Special

Comment

Living it with you once again Mike. That's one hell of a blowout, not sure how you kept it upright.
                            x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
                            HERD member #66
                            HS I Survivor
                            HS II Survivor
                            HS III Survivor
                            HS IV,V,VI wanted to go.....

Comment

WOW!!! So glad you made it home safe!!!
                              A.K.A. Chad
                              Official Ear Tag #163
                              Official Member Paracord Posse
                              2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited
                              "I talk a lot but don't say much, and I know it..."
                              "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

Comment

Wow!!!!!
                                sigpicHERD medic! #00039
                                I am Jase's precious
                                If you are what you eat, then I'm delicious!
                                I miss you Rick, you goofball
                                HPH- The Legend

Comment

Working...
                                X