Nova Scotia bound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nova Scotia bound

After talking about making this trip for close to 2 years the wife and I are finally setting a date on this trip! We are shooting for late September time frame leaving the States from Portland, Maine by way of ferry to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. There is a high speed ferry called The Cat that will get us there in just under 6 hours.

My general plan is to average to about 100 miles per day, get as close to the coast a possible and enjoy the twists, turns and hills of that rugged coast line. With 100 miles a day we can make stops as often as we want. For obvious reasons Nova Scotia has a ton of light houses and fishing villages which are hundreds of years old. Peggy's Cove south of Halifax is a must make according to just about every site.

So I'm posting a bit early because I want to see if anyone has made that trip before and look for advice. I've already taken a look at Wnd's posts in the "Tips and Tricks" section which were a big help on the last long ride we did. But I'm open for advice.

Last time our trip was 3 days, for this I'm planning on 4 nights in Nova Scotia alone. On top of that we may need to spend a night or 2 in Portland but I won't know more until the 2018 Ferry schedule is published. For 3 days my bike was stuffed!
    21543838_10154744409757413_5135582591077815791_o by unimoose1, on Flickr

So for a week we will need to cut down a little bit. Of course she had a couple pairs of shoes and a hair dryer (things I don't need). But I'm also adding wet weather gear for both of us. She doesn't know yet but she has a set of Frog Togs on the way for Christmas.

Bungee cords will be on hand too. I missed that in Wnd's original post and we kind of paid for it when it got downright hot on the ride home. Both of us had worn our leather jackets on the ride up, which wasn't bad, but the ride home it was in the 90's. Thankfully I found a Dollar General and was able to get a pair of dog leashes and collars to attach them to the backrest. Not pretty but effective.

21950051_10154750502897413_3485367174505202256_o by unimoose1, on Flickr

By September we will also have the extended bags, I'm figuring on stuffing the wet weather gear in the extension under the canvas luggage, and toying with removing my speaker lids and putting the stock lids back on so I can add a pair of these. Anyone have any experience with these? They are by Saddlemen.
    830-714_A by unimoose1, on Flickr
    Joe the One Antlered Moose
    Herd member number 00098
    Combat Vets Motorcycle Association # 19938

Been to Peggy's Cove, back in 2002. Took a cruise out of NYC to Nova Scotia, tour bus took us to the Cove for the Day. If I remember correctly, there is a memorial for TWA Flight 800 that crashed off the coast of the cove, conspiracy theory is the Navy was testing a new missile and it took out the airliner. Read about it on Wiki. I really don't remember a lot about the trip, except for the fog, couldn't see a thing off the boat, LOL. At the time Pattys Dad was the Potentate of our Shrine Temple, he set up the trip. Shriners drink, and we did lots of that. We were in Halifax, St Johns Bay, I would have to look at a map to see where else we went.

Think about a rack for your tour pak. They come in handy. Harley as well as a few other companies make a nice size bag that will attach to a Harley rack. Last years trip was 13 days on the road. In the Black Hills Patty gave in that she packed way too much. (I told her so.......). We shipped half her stuff back home. Most all hotels/motels have a hair dryer, or at least one in the office you can get. Other advice....get your passport early, leave your guns at home.

This sounds like a great trip, have a good time.
    Mark
    HERDster #204

Ride On Larry Weaver
    Wndchsr, catch you in the breeze my friend

Comment

Sounds like a great trip, Joe! Looking forward to your ride report and pics!
      OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
      2014 FLHXS
      U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

This sounds like a good one, looking forward to the report! The Nova Scotia "Doers and Dreamers guide" is a great resource and it's free from their tourist bureau. There's a Moto specific guide as well but I didn't find it as helpful. Pack light, take as many photos as you can and have a great time!
        Bob

Official HERD Member #00230

Westchester County, NY
        '17 FLHXS Street Glide Special

Comment

You might try to find V-Girl while You are there. She has not been on the HERD for a very long time.
          About the last she was on She had added a supercharger or some such to Her Harley.
          I bet She`d get You to deliver some dog food for Her.
          Ear Tag no. 00030
          MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
          Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
          If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
          The missing link
          http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Awesome!!!!!
            Make SURE you go to the Halifax Explosion museum. Itís 100 years since the explosion.
            1917. Over 2000 ppl killed.
            I have a good buddy who lives in Halifax. They used to live here. He always posts crazy cool Martime pics. One day I too will go see the Maritimes
            Totally stoked for your trip. Color me green
            sigpicHERD medic! #00039
            I am Jase's precious
            If you are what you eat, then I'm delicious!
            I miss you Rick, you goofball
            HPH- The Legend

Comment

By now you should have taken pictures....

2010 FLHX - Street Glide
              HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Thanks everyone! Firenailer I'm waiting for the 2018 guide to come out. Until then one of my wife's Christmas gifts is Frogg Toggs and a Nova Scotia guide from B&N.
                Hot Pink Harley I definitely will. We're keeping the miles low so we can actually enjoy some sight seeing. Thanks for the suggestion.
                BaggerBum that will most likely happen for us too, particularly if we decide to pick up souvenirs!
                Herd member number 00098

Comment

Taking another step, well a few steps actually, toward getting ready for NS. Along with the travel guide, map and Frogg Toggs I decided to update my GPS and mount. My old GPS would have required a yearly fee to update the maps, the new one has life time updates and I can upload routes to it from the website.
                  26167463_10154997763572413_5305145099107648172_n by unimoose1, on Flickr

Add to that I picked up a mount from a site called T and T Fabrications that will mount it cleaner and better than the zip tie I'd used through the window bag drain holes. It should work nicely and I'll get a ton of use out of it!
                  Herd member number 00098

Comment

What is the expected average temperature in September?
                    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
                      What is the expected average temperature in September?
                      its usually pretty warm that time of year... they average 70-80 ish F

sigpicHERD medic! #00039
                      I am Jase's precious
                      If you are what you eat, then I'm delicious!
                      I miss you Rick, you goofball
                      HPH- The Legend

Comment

I jumped on a close out item on JP Cycles after taking a long look at reviews on the Saddelmen lid bags I was eyeing. It seemed not a lot of people were impressed with them and different websites couldn't agree on whether they would or would not interfere with the tourpak. Add to that adding height to the lids would also make it more difficult for my wife to get on and off the bike and call for removing my speaker lids in favor of the stock ones it just seemed like I wasn't getting as much space as I wanted for what I was putting into it. I was able to pick up a MoCo stealth tourpak rack, which will look better than a full size rack on my chopped pack, and a bag to go on the rack. I can't wait to mount the rack to see how I can best mount the bag but winter is not going to make that easy for me. In any case for under $100 it was a heck of a deal and came with multiple straps for different mounting options.
                        IMG_0123 by unimoose1, on Flickr

160-985_A by unimoose1, on Flickr

The mount came in from T and T Fabrications, I can't wait to get this mounted on the bike but the space in the shed isn't allowing much at this point.
                        IMG_0131 by unimoose1, on Flickr

Other than wet weather gear for myself, which the wife it getting me next month, I've gotten everything we need for the trip! I even ordered the "Doers and Dreamers" guide for 2018, all we need now is for The Cat to post their 2018 schedule so we can finalize our plans! Between that and a few "test run" trips along the way we should be in really good shape!
                        Herd member number 00098

Comment

Don't depend entirely on the bags strapping system, get your self a set of good nylon straps with adjustable buckles. That rack is going to look good on your TP.
                          Mark
                          HERDster #204

Ride On Larry Weaver
                          Wndchsr, catch you in the breeze my friend

Comment

thanks Man! I typically put a secondary on stuff just in case. There's little worse than realizing your strap failed somewhere over the past 50 miles. :(
                            Herd member number 00098

Comment

We are now just inside 3 months from this trip! Time is going to fly but I'm in good shape for it. I had the seat redone this winter, a nice cruise up to Laconia during bike week was a good way to confirm that the wife will be happy and comfortable. The rack got mounted on the tourpak as well, I made sure to make some rubber gaskets for it to sit on so water won't be an issue. The Kury bag came in as well, the pictures show it mounted with just their hardware but I'll throw a couple extra bungee cords over it for the trip just to make sure it doesn't go anywhere. My buddy who pants had a minor issue and needs to redo the extended bags and new lids but he's going to get that done in the next couple of weeks. Hotel reservations are made as well. The only thing left is to buy tickets for the ferry but my passport expired and I need the new one to come in before I can do that. It's always something right? Wife and I are really excited for this trip, hopefully the wifi at night will be good enough that we can upload some pics along the way! First night in N.S. is 17 September.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	1,022.6 KB
ID:	1237295Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1237296
                              Herd member number 00098