Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need local info for South Dakota

Ok Herdsters,

I am in the planning phase for an extended vacation in SD. A fellow Marine and I are taking the wives with us next year on our annual trip, so the Op Order will be different. The plan is to load up the truck and trailer with bikes and gear and spend at least a week in the badlands and black hills national parks. I have been to Sturgis twice but both times the rally experience was in full force... ( evil grin ) So I remember very little, and what I do remember I have taken an oath not to discuss. LOL

Anyone have any suggestions for a good base camp in that area. We are looking for a location that will be close enough for day rides to Mt Rushmore and such. It would be great to find one site that is within striking distance to most of the sites and spend the whole week with one base camp location. But we are not opposed to moving.

It looks like we may stay a portion of the trip at Cedar Pass campground in the Badlands National Park, and would like to find something similar in the Black Hills.

We will be tent camping, but more of base camp style so water and electric would be nice. But we would rather stay away from the RV parks.

Thanks in advance.
    HERD # 00075
    08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
    USMC Veteran

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/rockymtn/blkhinfo.htm

http://www.travelsd.com/Outdoors/Cam...FdJf2godmRkfbw

http://www.nps.gov/badl/index.htm

Heres a start,I did a google search and found these.
    There are hundreds if not thousands of advertised camping grounds,specially in the Black Hills area.
    Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

All I remember about the Dakotas from my trip up there two years ago is that the scenery was beautiful, Most of the locals were friendly, and it got Cold at night! We did the camping thing and in June the campgrounds were still relatively empty.
      Tommy
      HERD Member #141

"To ride, or not to ride... THAT is a stupid question!"

Comment

There are hundreds if not thousands of advertised camping grounds,specially in the Black Hills area.
        Yep Marty I think that is our problem right now too many to choose from. I have been on the internet for a couple of weeks looking, and was wondering if anyone had first hand recommendations.

All I remember about the Dakotas from my trip up there two years ago is that the scenery was beautiful
        HF Thats about the extent of my memories of the place also. Just never been up there when the rally was not in motion.
        HERD # 00075
        USMC Veteran

Comment

DDB, there's a KOA campground at exit 61 in Rapid City. That's where we plan on camping. It's about 3 miles away from BH-HD and a short ride to the Black Hills. Has BRs, laundry facilities and more!! I'll see if I can get the link up for ya!!
          OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
          2014 FLHXS
          U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

www.rapidcitykoa.com
            OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
            2014 FLHXS
            U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

Thanks Brian..... When you guys heading up that way?
              HERD # 00075
              USMC Veteran

Comment

Ifn yall aint been to yellastone yet I'd think about extendin yur trip right up there an spend a night at least.
                THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
                How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

I've been but it was many moons ago, the wife never been. I think we are leaning in that direction Vlade.
                  HERD # 00075
                  USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by DevilDogBagger View Post
                    I've been but it was many moons ago, the wife never been. I think we are leaning in that direction Vlade.
                    I gotta say even the ride up there is total awsomeness. No sense to miss it when yur that close. (well my opinion) Specially if ya never been
                    THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
                    How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

Yeah that area is my favorite, you can get into some area's up there that are just un-describable..
                      Last edited by DevilDog; 11-01-2010, 01:37 PM.
                      HERD # 00075
                      USMC Veteran

Comment

Beartooth Highway..........absolutely amazing.......

What we did was (from the Black Hills) take 90 west to Buffalo WY and then head west over the Ten Sleep Canyon road (or Ten Sleep Pass) and head over to the south end of Yellowstone in Cody (Grand Tetons National Park) and then come into Yellowstone from the south (we did the Snake River rafting in Cody as well as other sightseeing stuff). We played around in Yellowstone for a while and then head east out the northeast exit that would be 212 toward Red Lodge (Beartooth Highway) and it'll knock your socks off.
                        x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
                        HERD member #66
                        HS I Survivor
                        HS II Survivor
                        HS III Survivor
                        HS IV,V,VI wanted to go.....

Comment

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a place to stay, there are plenty of commercial campgrounds on 16 south of RC. The closer you get to Keystone and Mt Rushmore the more crowed and tourtsy it gets. Rt 16 south of Keystone is a great ride as is 87 over to Sheridan Lake road.. We were there for almost 12 years and spent many nights in Custer State Park in a tent and a travel trailer, not many full hook-up sites in the park though. The East entrance to Yellowstone is less than 12 hours from Rapid City...
                          Mike Tickle
                          Herd # One hundred
                          2012 Ultra Limited
                          USAF Retired (SMSgt)

Comment

Originally posted by DevilDogBagger View Post
                            Thanks Brian..... When you guys heading up that way?
                            I'm thinkin we'll leave here on Sunday before the main event and spend all week there! You're more than welcome to stay here on your way and ride up with us!! We'll show you the sandhills of Nebraska! Breath-taking!!
                            OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
                            2014 FLHXS
                            U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS View Post
                              I'm thinkin we'll leave here on Sunday before the main event and spend all week there! You're more than welcome to stay here on your way and ride up with us!! We'll show you the sandhills of Nebraska! Breath-taking!!
                              I really appreciate the invite, unfortunately we are not going up for the rally. I think that we are going to be heading up there between the last week in August and 2nd week of September. We have narrowed down the date just yet....

I have been to Sturgis twice and both times I did not get a chance to actually enjoy anything else but the rally. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the rally just I always wanted to go up there when it was not packed with people.
                              HERD # 00075
                              USMC Veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X