Hoka Hey Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow what a last 18 hours

Third place thru 7th place contenders came thru about 1.5 to 2 hours apart. These guys are worn out, beat up, and some have actually crashed , wrecked, or been hit

Without a doubt, they are running hard. Stories below

This is who is currently running in 3rd right now #175, trying to chase down Will and Shaun

He pulled in to the dealership with socks on, as his feet were so swollen that his boots were hurting him

His name is Brian, and he is the guy who finished in second last year running neck and neck with Will, only to be disqualified because he missed a mandatory checkpoint

He is riding a 2005 Road King, his back tire was TOAST at 2/32 but he was going to keep on keeping on until Murfreesbore and the next checkpoint

This guy was obviously very tired, but only stayed for 5 minutes. Long enough to stock up on water, eat a snack, use the facilities, and boogy it down the road

While here, his energy filled the room, the guy is a real treat and his North Carolina accent had all the girls coming running

4th place runner came in about an hour later, another southern gentleman named Frank, he is #78. This guy is the real deal. He isnt just a rider. This guy is a BIKER. The first BIKER I have seen come thru.

He is the guy on the left

When he pulled in, we could hear what sounded like a freight train coming thru his primary

His 09 Ultra had 48k on it, compensator was short

He was about an hour ahead of 5th place and an hour behind 3rd, so he had to make a decision on what to do

Thankfully common sense won out, as he decided if it blew and he got stranded, it would cost him more than the 40 minutes it took to put a new one in

Before a rider pulls out, everybody gathers around and applauds and yells good luck and such, its awesome firing them up as they ride away, we get A LOT of big grins and mega thumbs up, these guys seem to really appreciate the support

Last edited by Clone; 08-14-2011, 09:46 AM.
    JC
    Is it time for Herdstock yet?!?!?
    Official HERD Member #00162

sigpic

Comment

Great play by play....Now I am more glued to this thread to see the rest.....Thanks Clone! Keep it up with the pictures! This is actually history and you are there to let us know what you are experiencing!!
      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

5th place rider ( at the time of entry, not real time of post mind you ) came all the way from down under to compete! He is a personal friend of WIll Barclays, last years winner, and Mark #16 is riding Wills bike that he won on last year. A bone stock 09 Electra Glide Classic!

Mark had a little incident while doing a U-turn , and he rear ended the bike in front of him when it slammed on its brakes half way thru the U turn

Could barely understand a damn thing Mark said, but we were catching all the "cheery o blokes" and "mates" that he was throwing out pretty good

He needed nothing, bike needed nothing, he laid down and slept for a few hours. He didnt seem to be in any hurry at all, and you would have never known he was doing anything but going for a Sunday afternoon putt. I dug this guy. His spirit, his aptitude, and his quest for adventure was amazing.

Couple hours later, here came #55. Running in 6th place, and is still a contender without a doubt. Guys name is Mike, and like the second place runner he was short on words but still very appreciative we were here. I got pics of his bike, but somehow forgot to get a pic of him. Tall guy about mid 50's, think he is from CA from his HOG rocker

I did get out of him that he had ridden also about 9100 miles so far, and that "everything was just a blur"

He did have a problem at the Santa Fey checkpoint, he said he got there in the middle of the night as well, and there was NOBODY at the checkpoint. He banged on the door for a while, and finally somebody came out. He thinks they may have been playing cards in the back, or maybe sleeping who knows. He was very upset that the checkpoint had caused him to lose valuable time.

Also got another tid bit. When coming thru Yellowstone, Will #703 and Shaun #600 were able to squeeze thru a road that was closing for an hour for some reason or another. They got there barely in time.

#175, #78, #16, and him #55 all sat there steaming for an hour and some change until the road opened back up. He said at that point right there he knew the going was going to get tough, and not everything was under his control.

First roadie of the group!

He slept for a few hours too, and wanted a fluid change.

Mike also had a bad oooooopsie.

He fell asleep yesterday trying to push to hard, and the bike went offroad and down into a gully

The oil cooler got pushed in and the front fender fuggered up a bit, but he was able to ride it out. He said he was totally alert for about 3 hours after that, and vowed to sleep at least 2 hours a day now instead of just 1. WTF!!

JC

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the blow by blow in your face report....cool.
          HERD#00004
          *disclaimer: I am not an expert. Like everyone else I have an opinion.

HS1 and HS2 Attendee
          http://forum.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/

Paracord Crew Member

Comment

Talk about determination???? Wow!
            2010 FLHX - Street Glide
            HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Having a blast, hoping to meet Strat this afternoon.

#604, the rider we are sponsoring will be here about 2pmish

You can watch the riders at hokaheychallenge.com they all have trackers on them with their numbers

Overnight, there were some bad screw ups in Huntington, and almost EVERYBODY got off course in one way or another.

Brian, #175 has passed #600 for second place, and the leader #703 last years winner Will Barclay also lost valuable time

Its like a whole new race again. Barclay is thru The Dragon, everybody else is hitting it here in a bit
              JC

sigpic

Comment

It's not over until..................Need I say?
                2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

The fat lady sings? The bisquit is in the basket?
                  HERD#00004
                  *disclaimer: I am not an expert. Like everyone else I have an opinion.

HS1 and HS2 Attendee
                  http://forum.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/

Paracord Crew Member

Comment

Something has happened to my cell phone G2 Droid camera, I am getting a bad glare now from lights and stuff

Phone doesnt like campfires and camping I guess

BIG BIG crowd here today at the checkpoint, its VERY exciting

food vendors, family, kids, riders, its awesome

This is #635 he is running 8th ( counting #16 still in )

He was VERY shaky, and seemed to have ZERO energy

He could barely even get his direction sheet into its protective holder

Bike is thrashed in much n gunk. He wanted NO service, he checked in went to the bathroom and bolted

Here is Jimmy, currently running 9th. A.D. Farrows is also his sponsoring dealership, and his wife and kids were here to meet him. Big smiles and cries of delight all around

This is where my camera is boogered up for some reason

He went and jumped in the shower while his bike gets 2 new skins and full fluids

Jimmy, #604, is in the shower and I think he is going to eat some food and get back at it. Hard to say!
                    JC

sigpic

Comment

I should have sent you a banner with your sponsored number on it!
                      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

This is soooo coool!! Strat and Mrs., are heading down Clone, Strat says he's hungry...lol...
                        Miles are on a road map, close to home is here
                        Very Proud member #99
                        Official Herd Hugger
                        Count your life by smiles, not tears:
                        Count your age by friends, not years.
                        Old bikers don't gray, they CHROME OUT!!

Comment

Man, talk about determination and will to say the least. Those guys are more hard core than I ever thought about being and I thought I was tough in the saddle but I dont hold a candle to that bunch.
                          Herd Member #87
                          US Navy Veteran

Comment

Truly awesome. I saw some of the riders at the Grand Junction HD earlier today.
                            Whatever doesn't kill me....HAD BETTER START RUNNING!

Official HERD Member #00130

Comment

keep the pics and updates coming. someday......
                              Expectations managed for free

Comment

It was cool seeing these guy's roll in. Hard core to say the least. There was a guy roll in that had hit an Elk, had a lot of duct tape holding the bike together and a big tupperware type container (one of those big plastic storage containers) for the tour pac. His face was cut up too. I took alot of pictures and I will post them tommorrow.
                                Herd member #85

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X