Cal/Or ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal/Or ride

I am planning a 10 day motorcycle trip starting in Onterio Ca to Portland Or and back in mid May 2013. This is about 200 miles a day, give or take. I am looking for ideas of sights to see from those of you who live these areas. I am looking for the "not already thought of points of interest". If you have a unique idea of sights we should not miss, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
    Steve
    sigpic

49 of the 50 US States. I am still trying to find A good reason to drag my "warm weather" loving wife to Alaska

Your going to have one sore a** lol sounds fun be safe
    Official HERD Member #00194 Ride 08' Road King Classic Survivor HERDSTOCK IV

Comment

Dont know which way you will head out but the 166 from Santa Maria -Maricopa thats a good scenic route hills valleys etc that takes you over the sierra madre mountians you should be able to do that bit in 2 hours stopping for pics etc etc
      HERD#18

Comment

Oh man, I think you need to head to Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Yosemite and Tahoe before you make your way back over to the ocean and Route 101. Yosemite and sequoia are lifetime MUST sees. Or you could stay with the mountains and see Crater Lake. All the pics I have ever seen are amazing. Maybe you could take the coast on your way back. Wherever you go, have fun and take lots of pics. I have not yet made it to Oregon but I sure want to go.
        Wanda
        HERD Member #00180 • Proud HS III, IV, and V survivor.
        A DREAM. A VISION. A QUEST. (In memory of Big Mike)

Comment

wish i could ride up and roll with you on that trip! but i cant take leave when i am in school! enjoy and be safe........ i do know you can check out Mt Shasta its on the route i believe.
          There aint no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good!

07 Street Glide " SOUL SHAKER"
          Vance and Hines Slipon Ovals
          U.S.Navy Corpsman
          Official HERD Member #00175

Comment

Cscfloring, I am shipping my air ride seat out to Cal just to eliminate the sore azz. Ziderman, I will look into RT 166, thanks for the info. HDDeluxeGal, I have been to Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Yosemite before, but I am not sure my fellow rider has, so I will add these to the ideas list. As for Crater Lake, I have ben there also but would love to go again if we make it that far north. The sights are amazing there. Thanks.
            sigpic

49 of the 50 US States. I am still trying to find A good reason to drag my "warm weather" loving wife to Alaska

Comment

if you are looking for a really cool route when you get to or around Mt Shasta at Weed, turn rt and follow US97 (the Dalles-California Highway) toward Bend OR..

you will go on the backside of Crater lake, Klamath lake and into the Oregon high desert..

when you get to Bend turn left onto US20 towards Sisters OR. the road is amazing, take your time and stop for pics often. you will enter the pines at sisters, start moving up into the mountains and pass Black Butte which is a very old exposed lava cone. ride past fields of lava, mountain lakes, dams and falls...when you get to lost lake turn rt on OR22 and follow the road into Salem...from there continue on OR22 through Salem towards Lincoln city on the shores, from there follow PCH US101 north through seasides and to astoria..from there follow US 30 along the Columbia river valley to Portland....you wont be disappointed

weed to Bend is about 210 mi

Bend to Roads End SP is about 190mi

Lincoln City to astoria is 110 mi

Astoria to Portland is just under another 100mi

enjoy your trip
              Expectations managed for free

Comment

Thanks CJ. Looking that up on a map. Sounds cool.
                sigpic

Comment

So Im getting this right..Meriden to Cal and on? Man hell of a ride!!
                  Once you go Bagger, you don't come back! RK with a few tweaks... Glock Borkaty Bork Bork! HERD#00011 (Original Crew)

Comment

Meriden to LA via Jet Blue.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bordaine View Post
                      Meriden to LA via Jet Blue.
                      :) K, I was gunna say..Iron Ass!!
                      Once you go Bagger, you don't come back! RK with a few tweaks... Glock Borkaty Bork Bork! HERD#00011 (Original Crew)

Comment

We are back (a week plus ago), and with sore azz's. 10 days, 2300 miles. The weather was perfect, the roads were perfect, the bikes were flawless. Thanks to Skip Fordyce Harley-Davidson. They rented us a pair of 2013 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (FLHTK) for 75.50 a day, for a 10day rental. One of the bikes had Screaming Eagle Stage 1 updates and the other had many extras with full LED lighting. I strongly recommend this dealership as a rental spot if you are headed to the West Coast. Please contact Cavin Lord at 951-785-0100, both he and the dealership took very good care of us. The one down side, be very careful of the cost of tee shirts and things, before you buy, very over priced ($39.00 for a single print, back only tee shirt).
                        Here is a link to some of the 1300 plus photos I took while on this trip.
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/4561159...7633726269764/
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X