Ride The Wheels Off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride The Wheels Off

Owner just started this fun little contest. I should do well, probably top 3 at least.

Maybe I will get a new set of tires who knows!

JC
    Is it time for Herdstock yet?!?!?
    Official HERD Member #00162

sigpic

Go get 'em...I don't doubt you'll do well.
    A.K.A. Chad
    Official Ear Tag #163
    Official Member Paracord Posse
    2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited
    "I talk a lot but don't say much, and I know it..."
    "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

Comment

Tear em Apart!! You got this.
      Last edited by Dragon; 03-30-2012, 02:06 PM.
      Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.
      2017 Road Glide Special
      2000 Fatboy

Official Member #00178

Comment

Boy did this turn into a serious 3 way battle

2 of the managers that are located here at the Northstar location actually are general managers in the company, and run all three of our locations for their departments.

So basically what that means is, at any given time on any given day they can get on their bike and go ride to one of the other stores while "working" and get miles racked up

November 1st, I checked their odo's to see where I was sitting, and was absolutely shocked to see that I was 800 miles down on one, and 600 down on the other. I forgot about the commute, one lives 35 miles away the other lives 28 miles away, my commute is only 19 miles.

Its a pretty 19 miles, many of you have ridden it with me!

So, doing the math, I figured out I needed to 110 miles per day over the next 30 days to win this thing, as long as neither of the other 2 went for a long ride.

This is where the chit hit the fan. I was doing well, I was getting up an hour earlier and riding the outerbelt all the way around to work, basically adding 70 miles onto my commute, catching me up by the day. If I didnt do it in the morning, I did it at night.

Nobody knew I was catching up, they thought they had me skunked by 1000 miles and I was out of it, and now the contest was just between them. They didnt realize I had been racking up big miles daily to catch back up, and was actually ahead by a few hundred. Either way, they thought I was totally wiped out of it, and it was between them.

I went deer hunting Thursday, and was out in the woods all day. Starting about 9am, my phone starting blowing up with texts!! My friends at work who were in the know gave me the scoop.........turns out my boss Jeff found out he was down by 180 miles to preston, so he geared up and took off at 830am to go put some huge miles on for the day.

When the service manager Preston pulled in just a little while later, of course he got word immediately that Jeff was out to mile him under that day. Preston didnt even take his gear off, he took off as well to ride the entire day.

On company time, while getting paid, these two are out riding in opposite directions. Good gravy !!!!

I called Jeff when I got home from hunting, and got the scoop. He did 380 miles that day, and Preston did a whopping 475. By my math, I was now down by 275 miles or so!!!

The last day of the competition was Friday, and being the last day of the month it is all hands on deck, and NOBODY can play hooky or be MIA.

I sat in my chair Thursday evening absolutely exhausted, and all i could think about was the awesome riding year I have had, and all the great trips and time spent in the saddle.

Then i kept thinking about how bad I needed those 2 new tires, and how that $200 gift card would pay for my next 5k service I am actually due for right now.

I made a decision I was not going to lose this to their BS, especially when they took off during work hours to try to win. I had been riding all that extra mileage the last 28 days, and i couldnt stand the thought of it all being for naught.

So I immediately went to bed and set my alarm for 330am. It was a brisk 23 degrees when I got on the bike at 4am, and I was 71 southbound towards Lexington KY at full throttle. WFO.

I passed over the Ohio River at 645am, with the sun rising on my arm and warming my leather. I refueled, turned around, and busted asz back north.

I pulled into work at 858am, 2 minutes early for work. It was now 33 degrees and I had just busted out 338 miles in 5 hours. I wanted coffee. Bad.

I walked into service, and over heard Jeff and Preston going back and forth at each other, really talking smack. By their calculations, Jeff finished the year at 19,544 and Preston finished at 19,689. None of this confirmed by the pics of the starting mileage which is in the hands of the HR lady, but they remember their starting mileage they think.

When the contest started on April 1st, I had 1145 miles on my bike. I remember it vividly, because the next day I took over for the HD museum in Milwaukee, and the HDawg complex in oshKosh for the first visit of the year.

I grinned and walked by, knowing I am at 19,852 now, and as long as neithe rof those two took off on their bikes again, I should win this thing.

I was a long day Friday, keep watch on their bikes to make sure neither went anywhere. Neither did. At 4pm I knew it was over, they couldnt catch me in time to have the pic of their final odo reading into the HR lady by 6pm.

I wont know for sure till tomorrow night at 630 during our Christmas party when they announce the winner, but either way I gave it hell. And I did not ride on company time to do it.

8 months old, Ani almost at 21k ;)

Last edited by Clone; 12-01-2012, 01:04 PM.
        JC

sigpic

Comment

What a story! I was in suspense til the end and now I have to wait until tomorrow to find out who won???

Good luck and keep your phone charged so you can post up during the Christmas party!!!

2010 FLHX - Street Glide
          HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Good for you Clone. Way to stick to it.
            x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
            HERD member #66
            HS I Survivor
            HS II Survivor
            HS III Survivor
            HS IV,V,VI wanted to go.....

Comment

Thats some determination right there!
              Herd member #85

sigpic

Comment

Good job that's awesome!
                Official HERD Member #00173
                2008 Cross Bones

Comment

Clone's got me beat and I ride the entire year!
                  2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                  HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
                    What a story! I was in suspense til the end and now I have to wait until tomorrow to find out who won???

Your not the only one, I do too!

I just cant wait to see their faces if I do win, cause they still do not know at this point!
                    JC

sigpic

Comment

hehe I knoe its all about winning but the extra gas and wear an tear on the tires you do have ?? Wonder how that works mathematiically??
                      THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
                      How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

Originally posted by vlade View Post
                        hehe I knoe its all about winning but the extra gas and wear an tear on the tires you do have ?? Wonder how that works mathematiically??

I know I know I thought about that

It cost me at least an extra $200 in fuel to catch up to them

But, my tires are $279 each retail, plus $90 a pop installed, so thats $700 right there

Plus, I just hate to fricking lose, especially to BS
                        JC

sigpic

Comment

Awesome Clone. You have my respect. Especially with that last lexington run. I know I do not own enough clothes for those temps.Good Luck. I sure hope you win.
                          Wanda
                          HERD Member #00180 • Proud HS III, IV, and V survivor.
                          A DREAM. A VISION. A QUEST. (In memory of Big Mike)

Comment

Id be thinkin Iron butt runs to double your achievment value

Comment

Actually its pretty good of yur employer to do that kinda thing,

Comment

Working...
                              X