1975 Superglide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1975 Superglide

As many of you know, I agreed to get my Brother-in-laws old Superglide running for him over 10 too many beers. One thing led to another and it turned into a total rebuild. Below are the pictures of the progress so far.

Beginning with the first picture,
    - What I started with
    - During the teardown process. Starting to find all of the issues
    - The empty frame
    - The frame and swing arm fresh from powder coating
    - Just got the swing arm on arm on and the new wheels positioned in the general area.
    - my size makes it look like a mini bike.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dougs Shovelhead&#32.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1004500Click image for larger version

Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1004501Click image for larger version

Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1004502Click image for larger version

Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1004503Click image for larger version

Name:	Dougs Frame 002..jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1004504Click image for larger version

Name:	Dougs Frame 004..jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1004505Click image for larger version

Name:	Doug's bike 001..jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1004506Click image for larger version

Name:	Doug's bike 003..jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1004507
    Justin, HERD member 00016
    97 Fatboy

Nice job so far Auto...I love those bike from that era, can't wait to see the finished product ;)
    Robert
    Ear Tag #110
    2012 Vivid Black Heritage
    USAF Retired, Desert Storm Vet
    When you are faced with a dispute, Give them the HERD Salute :)

Comment

wow ....that last pic......Where did you find invisible risers, forks and triple trees?
      Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
        wow ....that last pic......Where did you find invisible risers, forks and triple trees?
        Would you like some? I have a couple spare sets. :) I did get the triple tree installed this weekend, but that's about it. I spent too much time on my bike to really do anything on this one. I'm still waiting for the rest of the hardware to get delivered for the engine. As soon as I get that, I can start on the painting and reassembling of that. The rear shock hardware should be here tomorrow, the rear wheel adjusters should be here at the same time along with the fork seal kit. I'm shooting for a month or so to have it running. I have most of the parts now, just have to find time to start shooting it back together.

I did relearn one thing though. If you have the top bolt out of the fork tubes, do NOT lay them down on your garage floor. It makes a pretty big mess. I don't know what I was thinking.
        97 Fatboy

Comment

whatever you do, keep posting pics of the assembly
          Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

looks good i had a 74 superglide once rode her for over 8 yrs. had a few too many cold ones and a guy that kept asking me to sell it to him for the 40th time so i priced it to shut him up . next morning he shows up at the door with a hand full of $100`s ! live and learn i guess ?

Comment

Well, today I dissassembled the heads for sandblasting. In the process, I had to remove a couple of rockerbox studs to gain access to the valve springs. When I removed to 2 outboard studs, the JB Weld that someone filled the holes with came out with the studs. I can't believe someone would repair stripped out threads this way, but I should have been expecting it with everything I've found up to this point. I did get the jugs and heads bead blasted, but now I have some Helicoils to install. Tomorrow I'm going to push the engine off to the side and work on the frame, hopefully making it a roller. I'll have pictures tomorrow,
              97 Fatboy

Comment

People do all kinds of things to repair stuff. Maybe the JB Weld was supposed to be temporary and held so good it was just left there.
                HERD Member #114
                2007 FLHTCU Ultra Classic
                When all else fails, GET A BIGGER HAMMER!
                If common sense was so common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  People do all kinds of things to repair stuff. Maybe the JB Weld was supposed to be temporary and held so good it was just left there.
                  Maybe you are right. He had the heads rebuilt 500 miles ago, 12 years back. And I'm betting that's when the heads were "repaired" in this manner. It just drives me nuts, it takes just as long to repair them right.
                  97 Fatboy

Comment

sounds like you better pay really close attention to everything else on the motor now.

keep it up......oh, and snap some pics :D
                    Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

LOLOL
                      OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
                      2014 FLHXS
                      U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

it's lookin good, auto!!
                        OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
                        2014 FLHXS
                        U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

sounds like you better pay really close attention to everything else on the motor now.

keep it up......oh, and snap some pics :D
                          I'm going to have to split the cases, I don't trust anything the guy before did. I really don't want to take the bike apart after I get it all back together. This project got put on the back burner so I can get my Fatty back together, The parts should be here tomorrow, anf I should have finished the wiring tonight. But I'm just burnt out with everything that is going on at home and work. As soon as I get going on the Shovelhead again, there will be alot more pictures.
                          97 Fatboy

Comment

sounds like the ticket do it once and do it right!
                            HERD Member #114
                            2007 FLHTCU Ultra Classic
                            When all else fails, GET A BIGGER HAMMER!
                            If common sense was so common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              sounds like the ticket do it once and do it right!
                              I tell people that everyday, it's a motto I live by. Plus, all of my friends will contest that I am extremly anal about every one of my projects/vehicles. Even my 217K mile S-10 pick-up, everything has to be just right. Even though the body is ready to fall off, the mechanicals are perfect. LOL.
                              Last edited by autotec; 04-20-2010, 07:29 PM. Reason: typing too fast
                              97 Fatboy

Comment

Working...
                              X