Name:	IMG_0512..JPG
Views:	1
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1005233Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0510..JPG
Views:	1
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1005234

Did not how to do this I hope it works. I ahve other pics,later.80 Sportster. Got in 2002, found in a mans garage, been sitting for 12 years. Was told if I got it running I could have it.. Yes, running in 5 mins. hauled it off. All was original, tires and all. Went through clutch etc,, no engine work yet. Runs lie a charm. No oil burn, fouls plugs sometimes. Had 18K original miles, probably 20K now. I broke the speedo. Had to use power saw ro remove tires. I have added a few things of course.
    Someday I want to strip down, repaint frame, go through engine but would like to keep original, I think. By then I man want to build someting else.Replaced rotted tank, excuse the lettering, I freehanded that and it did not turn out like I had hoped. Will go back with original decals. Repalced the drag pipes and AC cover. I kept all the original parts.
    It's the AMF era but is a good bike.
    Those who say it can't be done should get in the way of those doing it.
    Patriot Guard Riders # 209,359
    Official HERD Member #00139

Wow nice find! Looks like a great project and the fact that the engine actually runs is a BIG bonus!
    Joe the One Antlered Moose
    Herd member number 00098
    Combat Vets Motorcycle Association # 19938

Comment

Bonus findings!!! Gotta love projects!
      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

I like it, but I am a sucker for an Ironhead....go figure
        Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Nice project bike.
          Jeff
          09 FLHRCI
          Herd Member #00045

Comment

Do`nt worry about the AMF thing,it was the first years of AMF that the quality was lacking,for one thing the sportster crankcase/transmission case was designed for the 750 flathead then they bumped them to 900 then to 1000 cc and the cases were lacking,AMF did some improvements on the cases and by the 1980 model they had them pretty much figgerd out.
            just remember when someone starts badmouthing the AMF Harleys that You can then remind them that if it warnt for AMF they would`nt be riding the Evos and the twincams today.
            Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

It reallly runs, starts good and the tranny shifts smoother and quieter than my 08 from the very first day I found it. It still has the AMF carb and all the internals. True, they must have figured it out by 80. Thats why I am so skeptical about tearing it down and reworking.

Comment

Looks good, gotta love future projects. Just remember, it will take 4 times as long as you first think. And cost 4 times your budget. LOL.
                Justin, HERD member 00016
                97 Fatboy

Comment

That is why the head of the finance dept frowns when I mention starting..

Comment

Originally posted by Oiltrash View Post
                    That is why the head of the finance dept frowns when I mention starting..
                    well just donate it to me and you won't have to worry bout going over budget :moo
                    Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                      well just donate it to me and you won't have to worry bout going over budget :moo
                      That sure would help out. It's nice to have friends that will help you out when in a bind. Thank you for offering..I won't tell my wife about the offer though. I know what she would say..

Comment

Originally posted by autotec View Post
                        Looks good, gotta love future projects. Just remember, it will take 4 times as long as you first think. And cost 4 times your budget. LOL.

Only 4 times?????? I wish.... :-)

UF
                        http://evylchopper.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X