No announcement yet.

New Project Bike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I spent a few hours playing with the chrome, it's in pretty bad shape. It's severely pitted with rust bleeding through. I tried my normal chrome polish without any luck. After a little bit of research, I found a new trick, (to me) some aluminum foil with water or Windex as a lubricant removed all of the rust and hid the pitting pretty good. I figure I'll apply some wax when it's done to slow the rust from coming back too quickly. Below is just a small area I did on the front fender. The lower part of the fender isn't dirty, it's the pitting and rust.

Last edited by autotec; 03-10-2016, 09:41 PM.
    Justin, HERD member 00016
    97 Fatboy

Comment

extremely cool! thank you for posting!
      JC
      Is it time for Herdstock yet?!?!?
      Official HERD Member #00162

sigpic

Comment

cool project bike, I rode a 450 back in the day
        Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Member #00014

Comment

Be still, my heart!

I had a Honda CJ 360 T back in the day!

I wonder how many garages and sheds in the world are populated with these???

2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

Comment

Very cool, may actually inspire me to go out and do some work on that '78 Beamer in the garage.
            Official HERD Member #00212
            The only place one man's liberty should end is where mine begins.

Comment

Those old 750-4 engines are bulletproof. I had one and I absolutely ran the crap out of it. Not the best handling bike I ever had, but one of the toughest. Still ran great when I sold it.
              Official HERD Member #00220

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Hours View Post
                cool project bike, I rode a 450 back in the day
                My brother got in a chase from the cops, long story short, He went through a hole in a hedge, around a garage, onto the srteet, cops still on His tail, did the same thing again, through the hole in the hedge, around the garage, here is a cop, perched on the fence, pistol out, cop leaps for the bike, lands in front of it, busted the cops leg, brother did get away, they never did pin Him for it. just a bad experience on an old twin 450 Honda.

Thank You Autotec for posting this. I have a Triumph tank that has fresh paint on it, needs some rust and old gas cleaned out of it. I was wondering how ro get this cleaned, I now know the "NICE" solution.
                Thank You.
                Ear Tag no. 00030
                MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
                Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
                If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
                The missing link
                http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Originally posted by autotec View Post

Glad to be of any help with any information that I've already have. This is going to be a long term project, I need to set a budget and stick to it. It's scary how expensive some of the parts are for these things.

Yes it started right up, I wasn't ready for it. I'm thinking the 60+ kicks must have drawn some fuel into the cylinders even though the fuel valve was off. I still need to syc the carbs, but it runs good enough for the initial tests.

Thanks, Justin

Yeah we are in the same boat, long term and learn as we go. Will be a fun project for us.
                  Mark
                  HERDster #204

Comment

Been a day or few, any updates?
                    When it rains, it pours, and the Lord is my umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by autotec View Post

Well I spent a few hours playing with the chrome, it's in pretty bad shape. It's severely pitted with rust bleeding through. I tried my normal chrome polish without any luck. After a little bit of research, I found a new trick, (to me) some aluminum foil with water or Windex as a lubricant removed all of the rust and hid the pitting pretty good. I figure I'll apply some wax when it's done to slow the rust from coming back too quickly. Below is just a small area I did on the front fender. The lower part of the fender isn't dirty, it's the pitting and rust.

Patina...seems the way most are finishing these bikes these days.

Mark
                      HERDster #204

Comment

Working...
                      X