Plug wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug wires

I need new plug wires for my 95 Sporty, the coil is on the side and the wires are 7 inches long, but the boot keeps layin up on the jugs. Haven't googled yet, is this a normal size? Lookin at shimming out to fix the problem...ideas???
    Miles are on a road map, close to home is here
    Very Proud member #99
    Official Herd Hugger
    Count your life by smiles, not tears:
    Count your age by friends, not years.
    Old bikers don't gray, they CHROME OUT!!

Well 95, i did a bunch of google searches, and found several places that offer the wires, but no info on the length of the wires from the factory..
    i dont have an answer for you, but did want to tell you i was looking on your behalf..
    Hopefully Dave will pop in and have an answer for you.....g
    U.S. Army "Retired"
    (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Are those Harley wires?
      I haven't looked at a Sporty's set of wires since I sold mine in '96, and I don't have the darn service manual anymore to take a look for you. If you take a look at my Softail, you'll see that one wire (very long) is clipped under the tank to the horn mount by a clip/plastic tie that Harley sells (they are stock on the bike). If I remember correctly, I think there was similar clip on my Sportster, but that was a long time ago. Now, if I can post a pick . . Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire clip..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	977506
      Last edited by Drum Dog; 04-14-2010, 04:47 PM.
      Herd Member #43
      Free Markets, Free Minds
      Rolling Thunder

Comment

P.S. I am on the phone with HD now trying to get you an answer.

Just got off the phone. HD said one is 6.5" and the other 20". Wow! I don't remember one being 20". Anyway, I would check the service manual to see if it speaks of a clip like I described above. You could always use a plastic tie.
        Herd Member #43
        Free Markets, Free Minds
        Rolling Thunder

Comment

Originally posted by gruss View Post
          Well 95, i did a bunch of google searches, and found several places that offer the wires, but no info on the length of the wires from the factory..
          i dont have an answer for you, but did want to tell you i was looking on your behalf..
          Hopefully Dave will pop in and have an answer for you.....g
          thanks so much gruss, I've checked my manual, but it doesn't show length of wires..Dave..oh Dave??
          Very Proud member #99
          Official Herd Hugger

Comment

Originally posted by Drum Dog View Post

Just got off the phone. HD said one is 6.5" and the other 20". Wow! I don't remember one being 20". Anyway, I would check the service manual to see if it speaks of a clip like I described above. You could always use a plastic tie.
            Thanks Drum, the manual doesn't show clips, or lengths, but both are the same, had to switch them around once, my coil is where your horn is tho', thanks bunches!!
            Very Proud member #99
            Official Herd Hugger

Comment

Originally posted by Drum Dog View Post

Drum got it for you sporty.......Thank you Drum !
              U.S. Army "Retired"
              (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Made me go look at my 97.. the coil is above the F head and the rear wire is 15'' long but the front is 5'' they are braided aftermarket though
                wyldman72

Comment

Working...
                X