Wondering about changin' my rear pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering about changin' my rear pulley

I read an article that stated if you change the rear drive pulley to a 55 notch setup, it'll lower the RPMs by about 300 @ 70 on the interstate.
    If a Sportster has 29-tooth front and 61-tooth rear belt pulleys (like most stock 1200's), the engine will be turning 2500 rpm at 55 MPH, 2950 rpm at 65 MPH, and 3400 rpm at 75 MPH. Change to a 55-tooth rear pulley (keeping the 29-tooth front pulley), and the engine will be turning 2250 rpm at 55 MPH, 2650 rpm at 65 MPH, and 3050 rpm at 75 mph.
    Then Osco asked "What would you need to do to correct the speedo..?"

Extremely good question!

Anyone?

Anybody?
    Official Herd Dumbass
    (Ask anybody)

MONK
    Crocified '07 XL1200C
    Herd #34

GPS or check with the dealer when You order the pulley,they should be able to tell You whut gear for the speedo drive You need to change to get a correct reading.
    It should not be a big job to change out the speedo gear in the transmission.
    Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Monk,

If you want to correct the speed off set you will need this...

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd238.htm
      HERD # 00075
      08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
      USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by DevilDogBagger View Post
        Monk,

If you want to correct the speed off set you will need this...

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd238.htm
        That looks like a nice little tool and the price is`nt too bad either and it is "MADE IN THE USA".
        Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Thanx Dog! That looks like just the ticket... maybe even get that OEM dual tach/speedo in one can for it, too (I mean... as long as I'm workin' on it anyway). That'd be sweet.
          Official Herd Dumbass
          (Ask anybody)

MONK
          Crocified '07 XL1200C
          Herd #34

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
            Thanx Dog! That looks like just the ticket... maybe even get that OEM dual tach/speedo in one can for it, too (I mean... as long as I'm workin' on it anyway). That'd be sweet.
            NP Monk.... let us know how it works out.
            HERD # 00075
            08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
            USMC Veteran

Comment

Why would you want to do that.......it will give you less power off the line!!!
              OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
              With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
              FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
              RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Jes' t'be contrary...
                Official Herd Dumbass
                (Ask anybody)

MONK
                Crocified '07 XL1200C
                Herd #34

Comment

I changed my front pulley from 28 to 30. Think the pulley was about $55. I sure like it. No tach, but runs easier at hiway speeds. When speedo is showing 55, I am really going 60. I just remember that.
                  Also the odometer is off....shows less miles per trip. I made a factor that I can use to figure gas mileage...getting 55 mpg or better now. No problems at low speed...but never ride 2 up on it.
                  I heard the rear pulley is much more expensive than the front......also...I used same stock belt with no problems at all.
                  Good luck.....Pete

Comment

Good point about the belt... would I need one 6 nubs shorter..?
                    Official Herd Dumbass
                    (Ask anybody)

MONK
                    Crocified '07 XL1200C
                    Herd #34

Comment

Originally posted by Crocodile56 View Post
                      Why would you want to do that.......it will give you less power off the line!!!
                      Yeah Monk,,why do you want to do it ?? Mileage ?? Vibrations ??
                      If Its Vibes gettin thru maybe your rubber engine mounts need adjusting, Been told the front lower one can need a turn or two,,I dunno,,
                      Of course 3,000 at 75 would be nice,,,
                      If I ever win the lottery I'm gonna get a Six speed OD for my custom built Sporty XD
                      Herd #124
                      Age 10 and holding
                      Official Herd Poser

Comment

I'm just wishin' I could lower RPMs on I-95... I try to avoid too much interstate riding anyhow, I find it tiring. Maybe the Mustang will help that.

No the bike has fantastic power off the line and great torque - it's scary, doesn't need changed at all. I'm just lookin' into all the possibilities around.
                        Official Herd Dumbass
                        (Ask anybody)

MONK
                        Crocified '07 XL1200C
                        Herd #34

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                          I'm just wishin' I could lower RPMs on I-95... I try to avoid too much interstate riding anyhow, I find it tiring. Maybe the Mustang will help that.
                          No the bike has fantastic power off the line and great torque - it's scary, doesn't need changed at all. I'm just lookin' into all the possibilities around.
                          Yeah The seat will help, For me the wind blast at 75-80 mph was wearing me out and because of that I was hangin on by the Bars, bike didn't like that.
                          The quarter fairing really changed things, I could relax my arms an grip and let the bike do It's thing.
                          Sportsters are a bit more of a workout on the big road. An hour Is about my limit for comfort at those speeds, Then Like you said, I gotta get off an get the
                          blood back in my ass.
                          My shocks are my next focus cause I can ride for hours at 60 or below.
                          Something Dave said, "The Stock shocks are too slow" an yep he's right,,damping Is too slow so either the back end "Packs" a bit,,which hurts,,or It over extends and Is topping out.
                          All this Unnecessary movement translates into fatigue. I am not trying to make a touring bike outta my R model but so far most everything I've done extends my ride time before my comfort level falls and makes me need a break.

I do think there Is plenty of power In these 1200's to pull big speed at 3100 rpm's.
                          Last edited by Osco*; 08-01-2010, 05:46 AM.
                          Herd #124
                          Age 10 and holding
                          Official Herd Poser

Comment

This is all very interesting as I am trying to raise the RPMs to get into the "sweet spot" when riding the highway. Right at my shift
                            points is where I have it the smoothest. I do tend to shift a bit low.

Ed
                            08 FLSTC - cus we likes to ride! HERD#146 - Thanks Classy! USN - Retired
                            When I wear an "Old Navy" shirt, it is not a fashion statement, it is just a statement.
                            Looking at life from the back of the HERD....All I see is...well, you know! :)

Comment

Yeah lowering the rpm's on the highway ain't a bad idea especially if your running in that 75-80 range. Went out to the
                              dealer up North about a month or so ago to see Jackyl and we were running in that range. Man, my butt was Burning from
                              the vibration. Something really happens between 70 and 75, she turns into a Vibration machine.
                              Regards Sonny
                              2007 FLHX Street Glide HERD #35
                              Route 66 "The Mother Road" Thank You Cyrus Avery!

Comment

Working...
                              X