Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure again!

1986 FXRD.
    Oil pressure is around 40 to 45 when first starting the bike,slowly gets lower as it warms up. Used to run around 10psi when hot and doing around 55mph. Now I have the same stats as above but when the bike gets hot the oil pressure falls to around 2 psi running above 60 and zero below that. Asked the Mechanic at the dealer if the pump could be weak or getting bad, and his response was "Maybe" and that was it. I have already replaced the check valve spring and ball, and the relief valve spring and oil pump valve.

Bad Pump? Or something worse?
    sigpic

Herd #132

Originally posted by beer30 View Post
    1986 FXRD.
    Oil pressure is around 40 to 45 when first starting the bike,slowly gets lower as it warms up. Used to run around 10psi when hot and doing around 55mph. Now I have the same stats as above but when the bike gets hot the oil pressure falls to around 2 psi running above 60 and zero below that. Asked the Mechanic at the dealer if the pump could be weak or getting bad, and his response was "Maybe" and that was it. I have already replaced the check valve spring and ball, and the relief valve spring and oil pump valve.

Bad Pump? Or something worse?
    what oil brother ??
    45-50 PSI cold is the sign of a "good" pump....I cant imagine a problem at that PSI....
    I suppose the guage (if active), or the sending unit (electric) could be giving you a bad reading....
    just a thought......g

Have you added components to the bike ? I.E. oil cooler, changed filter brands, oil brand or type ?
    Last edited by gruss; 06-21-2010, 05:24 PM.
    U.S. Army "Retired"
    (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Originally posted by gruss View Post
      what oil brother ??
      60 PSI cold is the sign of a "good" pump....I cant imagine a problem at that PSI....
      I suppose the guage (if active), or the sending unit (electric) could be giving you a bad reading....
      just a thought......g
      I have one of those liquid filled gauges, it has been on for about 4 years. Guess I could pick another one up to see if that is the culprit. Thanks !
      sigpic

Herd #132

Comment

I have one of those liquid filled gauges, it has been on for about 4 years. Guess I could pick another one up to see if that is the culprit. Thanks !
        good idea. Those gauges get filled with debris in the base, and will start to act up...Mine has been on for a little under a year now, and its already showing a few "funny" readings....It got stuck two weeks back, and i gave it a thump to fix it....

A new meter is a good place to start....IMHO
        U.S. Army "Retired"
        (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

good idea. Those gauges get filled with debris in the base, and will start to act up...Mine has been on for a little under a year now, and its already showing a few "funny" readings....It got stuck two weeks back, and i gave it a thump to fix it....

A new meter is a good place to start....IMHO
          Thanks for the help!
          sigpic

Herd #132

Comment

Thanks for the help!
            good luck, post up with the results of the guage change out if you would.....
            U.S. Army "Retired"
            (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

good luck, post up with the results of the guage change out if you would.....
              Sure will!
              sigpic

Herd #132

Comment

how low do you have it idleing 1000 is where it should gear drive pump rpm 2 low oil pres low
                1989 classic 115 big motor 2001 ultra classic 21 on the front

HERD #00106

Comment

I agree with checking the oil pressure guage. Where is your guage located? I have mine on the valve cover(shovelhead). Looking at moving it to the front cover which is the furthest point from the pump. I figure if I have pressure there, the rest of the engine is covered.
                  Pic took while doing some other work. Even though I built the bike, at my age I have to take pics to remember how to put it back together.
                  Also, have you changed oil weight recently?

http://evylchopper.blogspot.com/

Comment

looks good but around here that gauge would not last on my shuvel bad roads hardtail hell thehead lightcomes apart lol dont forget this is the evo section
                    1989 classic 115 big motor 2001 ultra classic 21 on the front

HERD #00106

Comment

I just got my new oil pressure guage today and it looks like that was the issue. Working fine now. Thanks to everyone for the input.
                      sigpic

Herd #132

Comment

Originally posted by trobbins View Post
                        how low do you have it idleing 1000 is where it should gear drive pump rpm 2 low oil pres low
                        I have it idling at 1000.
                        sigpic

Herd #132

Comment

Originally posted by Unforgiven View Post
                          I agree with checking the oil pressure guage. Where is your guage located? I have mine on the valve cover(shovelhead). Looking at moving it to the front cover which is the furthest point from the pump. I figure if I have pressure there, the rest of the engine is covered.
                          Pic took while doing some other work. Even though I built the bike, at my age I have to take pics to remember how to put it back together.
                          Also, have you changed oil weight recently?

Mine is located on my rear rocker cover. I'm with ya on the pictures taking, Been thinking about a camcorder so I can get the sights and sounds.
                          sigpic

Herd #132

Comment

Great news Beer, I'm glad it was a simple fix for you. It's hard to find a "good" gauge these days. It seems like when I nail down what I think is a good one, it shows up and says "made in china" on the back.......
                            Lately I've seen a few good ones from Graingers that are U.S. made, but the dang things are 60 bucks ! (sigh)

I guess thats the new going rate for a good gauge these days......
                            U.S. Army "Retired"
                            (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Working...
                            X