2004-2005 carbed XL1200 models stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004-2005 carbed XL1200 models stalling

I'm noting a trend on 2004-2005 XL1200 CARBE'd models only, where the owner complains of stalling at low rpms, coming to a stop after riding or complains of having to feather the throttle to get the bike to go anywhere after being stopped, ONLY WHEN HOT.

The symptom does not happen when the engine is cold. It runs fine when cold.

The symptom emulates a lean running condition, and it is assumed that jets or an accelerator pump is the culprit.

Checking codes (http://www.hdherd.com/showthread.php...ructions-codes) *should* yield a code of P0373, Intermitant CPS (Crank Position Sensor).

If this is the case, (a code is not always set) then replace your Crank Position Sensor, down near the oil filter.

It takes a few minutes and costs just a tad less then $50.

HD-Part # 32804-04A, now changed to 32804-04B.

I've researched this, and recently got one myself from a guy coming to my shop. I treated it as a lean condition, found flaws in the carb, rejetted and reworked the carb and only on warm days (60+ degrees F) does it do it.

Food for thought
    Last edited by Dave63; 04-05-2010, 01:53 PM.
    **Note: The technical info I provide is suggestive. I am not a perfeshunel.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Fixed another one yesterday. A 2004 XL1200. Stalling at lights after warm. Code P0373 showed up. (Intermitant CKS) Replaced the sensor. Cleared code. Problem solved. Runs like a top.
    **Note: The technical info I provide is suggestive. I am not a perfeshunel.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

Thanks Dave havnt had the prob yet.. Gennerally the last thing I suspect is a carb though less it's been messed with. CV is a vary Dependable carb from what I've seen,, less its been layed up with old gas or dried out.
      THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
      How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

How do you go about checking codes?Would be nice to know since I have an 2004.
        Official HERD Member #00161
        04 1200 sportster custom
        Kevin

Comment

My boss had this on his '04 Sporty a couple weeks ago. His shift linkage ended up being out of adjustment. I don't see how that caused it, but that's what fixed it.

Comment

Working...
          X