Sticking Brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking Brake

on my 89 flhtc wheni apply the rear brakes they some times stay applied the more i use them like in traffic the worse it gets if i hit them hard and quick they will let off replaced the hole rear calliper ass and put a stainless brake line on welll lubracated allready wondering if annoyone has had a simmiler problem it sucks pulling off in gravel and it still locked up thinking master cylender rebuild thanks ted
    1989 classic 115 big motor 2001 ultra classic 21 on the front

HERD #00106

Master rebuild...... IMHO.

Unless the piston bore of the caliper is bad, but usually that starts to seep fluid too, not just lock up.

As well, make sure the slider pins on the caliper are clean and well lubed and move around freely. The caliper can stick on the sliders, holding the piston back and give you the same feeling.

As well, if it's a brake pedal with a pivot bolt, make sure it's not binding, holding the brake on, and the pivot is well lubed. Make sure the linkage isn't adjusted too tight. I did that once and it feld ok, but as the bike warmed up, the brake got tighter. I ended up warping a rotor and ruining a set of pads.

Heard you had some bad luck with a belt in KY.............that sucks. Glad it all worked out.
    Last edited by Dave63; 05-27-2010, 07:46 AM.
    **Note: The technical info I provide is suggestive. I am not a perfeshunel.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

no leaks at the caliper it seems the last time i put new pads on it was good for a wile plenty of play in peddel greece fitting greeced changed the brake line last nite thought maybe it had a flap in it its weird if i push by hand real easy it will hold presure if i apply it and let of kinda fast its fine fn junk yah bad luck in paints ville all good now thanks

HERD #00106

Comment

If the caliper and the pedal are good, Ted, I'm gonna suggest the obvious: Rebuild the master.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

Air/moisture contamination??? do a good flush??? master cap is clogged and not equalizin fast enough???
          THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
          How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

thanks ill check it today

HERD #00106

Comment

Originally posted by vlade View Post
              master cap is clogged and not equalizin fast enough???

Hmmmm........that may be a good tip right there........ I never thought of that.

HERD Member #10

Comment

I was going to suggest brake line may be collapsed, but you said you replaced it, so yeah, investigate the master
                Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Dont know if I ever said on this forum or HDF. I was out in the Parkin lot practisin brakin on my UClassic after several "emergency stops" my system blew and I lost any rear brakes I had. The speed obstacle course guys will tell ya to bleed off all your fluid cyclin in new. As water was in the system super heated and blew by my master pyston When I looked for a reason why water got in there I realized that rear master is down low where you might force water in washin it. The cap aint on really that tight or in a way that would stop a good stream of pressured water. Now the later model sporties with their remote fluid tank probably wouldnt do that.

Comment

Bad thing is you'd go on as happy as a slopped pig, brakes would never routinely get hot enough, till one day you really need yur brakes.

Comment

I know you said you put a whole new caliper on and I assume new pistons etc. But just the same most of my sticky brakes have come as a result of corrosion and crap accumillation on/in/between the slaved piston/s and the cyinder walls just a tiny litte bit of minutia can fug ya,, also if you forced the pistons in and they got crooked that be a fug point. Bad seals will make it happen faster.

Comment

the problem was the rotor wore to thin not bad for 180thou miles lol

HERD #00106

Comment

Originally posted by trobbins View Post
                          the problem was the rotor wore to thin not bad for 180thou miles lol
                          makes sense then the pistons get past their workable zone

Comment

thats happened to me before, did you thoughly blow out and clean the caliper cylinder free of brake dust before you pressed it back in if not they can lock up, also of course clean and never seize pins

Comment

Working...
                            X