That's acceleration!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's acceleration!

This is my, (and a few others here) world... Fun stuff.
    We ran blown Alky (FED) car and some street stock motorcycles so it is a bit slower...but it is ALWAYS a blast : )

ACCELERATION PUT INTO PERSPECTIVE

* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500.
    * A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger.
    * With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.
    * At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.
    * Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.
    * Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.
    * Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be
    shut down by cutting the fuel flow.
    * If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split
    the block in half.
    * Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have completed reading this sentence.
    * In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8 G's.
    * Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!
    * Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.
    * The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.
    * THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, & for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter-mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 MPH (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03, Doug Kalitta).

Putting this all into perspective:
    You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered Z06Corvette. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you
    pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette up hard through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches & starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums & within 3 seconds the dragster catches & passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just
    passed him. Think about it - from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH & not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the track when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race!

That's acceleration!
    08 FLSTC - cus we likes to ride! HERD#146 - Thanks Classy! USN - Retired
    When I wear an "Old Navy" shirt, it is not a fashion statement, it is just a statement.
    Looking at life from the back of the HERD....All I see is...well, you know! :)

thats pretty freaking cool. thanks for posting...

Josh #00042
    R.I.P. Dad 1951-2015

Comment

My 300C (Rocket) with the HEMI V8 can't run the dragsters supercharger??? WOW
      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Here’s some more fun facts I found about top fuel dragsters.

• Approximate 7,500 horsepower, in of a competitive 2005 Top Fuel engine. That's almost 1000 horsepower per cylinder.
        • With the engine at 8500 rpm, just turning the supercharger soaks up 900 horsepower.
        • 77 Gallons per minute the fuel system can pump at wide-open throttle. The engine will consume 22.75 gallons of fuel during warm up, burnout, staging, and the quarter-mile run.
        • $900 is the cost of a 55-gallon drum of nitro methane fuel. Current regulations allow a maximum of 85 percent nitro methane in the fuel mix. The rest is alcohol.
        • $58,700 is about what you'll pay for a new, ready-to-run Top Fuel engine.
        • 29 minutes is what it takes to tear down and rebuild a Top Fuel engine between rounds. Each engine is rebuilt 184 times a year (if the driver goes to the final round at every race).
        • 28 quarts of oil used during warm-up and quarter-mile run. The oil pan holds 70-weight oil mixed with special thickener.
        • 2,225 minimum weight, in pounds, of a Top Fuel dragster. That's a power-to-weight ratio of 3.37 horsepower per pound, about 20 times better than the new Z06 Corvette.
        • $1,000 you'll need to buy a pair of new Goodyear R36x17.5 rear slicks. If you're lucky, they'll last you a bit over a mile--four run
        • 12,000 pounds of down force is generated by the rear wing at 325 mph. The downward thrust made by the exhaust gases escaping the headers alone generates 800 pounds of down force.

Josh #00042
        R.I.P. Dad 1951-2015

Comment

interesting facts.
          Expectations managed for free

Comment

We are going to watch the Prostock bikes and Promods (and something about Top Fuel?) in a few weeks in Charlotte.

Should be a great time!!!!

E&T
            When I wear an "Old Navy" shirt, it is not a fashion statement, it is just a statement.

Comment

that is just mind boggling.
              HERD MEMBER #00027
              Riding for LT. Tim Campbell (LEO)
              In Memory of Rubberdown RIP HERD #00019
              In Memory of Betsy
              In Memory of Sabrina

Comment

Heck,I could not even afford the fuel to taker down the strip for one run.:):):)
                Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Chit, y'all getting me worked up.........now I want ta build a dragster!!!

Had me a G-Gaser years ago! 975 HP fire breathing bad to the bone 56 Chevy!!!!
                  OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
                  With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
                  FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
                  RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Lets do it!!!!!!

Vrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!

and that is the Wife having some FUN!!!

Crazy Ed ....and Tammy!
                    Last edited by Juiced; 08-31-2010, 05:54 PM.

Comment

i bet thats a cantankerous SOB if it doesn't go straight.
                      Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

WOW! That's all I can say! The 200 MPH start not gettin' the win really puts it perspective for me!
                        H1E2R8D

Comment

That's fast!!!!..........I mean......really fast!!!!!!!!!!!
                          OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
                          2014 FLHXS
                          U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by BigWorm View Post
                            i bet thats a cantankerous SOB if it doesn't go straight.
                            and thats the problem,.....They NEVER go straight.

The kinda....sorta, go ....in that general direction. I normally have my eyes closed anyway... :)

Crazy E&T

Comment

cool
                              Todd Pearson
                              Herd #118
                              AMA #366336
                              SERA #107 (Southern Enduro Riders Assoc)
                              08 FLHX, TW555's, TTS Mastertune

Comment

Working...
                              X