Sad journey of regret and reflection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad journey of regret and reflection

A sad ride, last Saturday. One of reflection, regret, anger, and loss.

A pilgrimage of sorts. One of the little things I wanted to do while I still have the chance. I needed this journey, to purge my system of this lingering resentment, and of some little gesture to the fallen, virtually forgotten now.

A little background is in order. I am a graduate of Muncie (Indiana) Central High School, class of 1971. It is through the prism of these tired eyes that I recount the following.

Texas, as well as many other states, has a rich high school football tradition. But in Indiana, the Hoosier state, it was… is… and always will be basketball. From urban playgrounds to suburban driveways to the rural barnlot, there is a common Hoosier denominator- there’s a hoop and a backboard everywhere you gaze.

Nowhere in this backwater state of the union is high school basketball played better or with more fervor than my alma mater Muncie Central. Here is a measure of MCHS achievement- in the hallowed North Walnut Street Fieldhouse, there proudly hangs eight banners- more than ANY OTHER high school in the state.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2106905847_f6116dce08_z.jpg Views:	10 Size:	103.4 KB ID:	1255545

There should have been nine.

~~

Milan is a Podunk li’l town in the southeastern part of the state, pop. 1,899. No industry, no jobs, no nothing other than agriculture. Never was.

By some unbelievable string of miracles, the Milan Indians, in 1953/1954 won their sectional, regional, semi-final and found themselves in the final championship game on a blustery night on March 20, 1954. Their opponent, the mighty Muncie Central Bearcats, the state champs of two years previous. There stood little David, facing Goliath.

In the closing seconds of a surprisingly tied game, Milan center Bobby Plump, who’d had a terrible shooting night, going 2-for-10, brought the ball down to the right wing and… stood there. He held the ball, standing there flatfooted. ForEVER. With 3 seconds to go, he pulled up and hit a jumper. Game, set, match.

Goliath crashed to the floor. David slew the giant, with one shot.

There is a downtown museum in Milan. (Closed, of course, to the 'rona19) I ain’t kiddin’ folks. There is a museum to the game. The shot. Here’s a cell shot of the interior, noting the final score.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200530_122052_resized.jpg Views:	10 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	1255546

Obviously the former bank, I would imagine the only thing that beautiful safe holds now is Bobby Plumps' jockstrap.

This spawned the major motion picture Hoosiers in 1986, starring Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper. Hopper was nominated for an Oscar for his role as Shooter, the town drunk, pressed into assistant coaching duties.

~~

Everything vertical in this backwater dump sports one of these…

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200530_121614_resized.jpg Views:	10 Size:	689.7 KB ID:	1255547

I was eight months old at the time, therefore the family lore, told and re-told countless times, went like this:

We didn’t have a TV then, and it wouldn’t have done any good anyway as it was not televised. But it was on the radio. Now, my old man was a red-hot Bearcat fan. He played high school ball for Mt. Summit, graduating in 1934. Anyway, at the games’ outcome (his reaction probably fueled by a snootful of Seagram’s Seven) he was so mad he threw his shoe at the wall, knocking a cuckoo clock to the floor and smashing it to smithereens.

My dad passed away in 2002, and until his death, when he would mention the game, he would get mad all over again.

~~

So, here you go, Dad. My reaction, standing outside the 1954 Milan basketball game museum.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200530_122222_resized.jpg Views:	10 Size:	983.9 KB ID:	1255548
    Last edited by Big D; 06-02-2020, 10:23 AM.
    PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

That must have been one heck of a game. I can imagine the roar from the bleachers of the winning team and the gasp of unbelief from the Muncie team.
    What a cool story.
    Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

I had fun with this.

Can't be happier for the Milan team. These guys (there are four team members left) have a reunion every year.

Bobby Plump went on to Butler University and starred there, winning the NIT in 1958. Had a brief stint on the Minneapolis Lakers, then to AAU ball for years. A retire insurance exec, at 83, he runs a popular Indianapolis Broadrippe bar called "The Last Shot".

Click image for larger version  Name:	51AOI0O7nqL._SX368_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	35.6 KB ID:	1255556

Click image for larger version  Name:	31plump_CA0-articleLarge.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.2 KB ID:	1255555
      Attached Files
      PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

:wow

2010 FLHX - Street Glide
        HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
          :wow
          Yeah, maybe if Dave has a HERD gathering, have to do a ride over there and have a drink in his bar.
          Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

fun story!!!!
            sigpicHERD medic! #00039
            I am Jase's precious
            If you are what you eat, then I'm delicious!
            I miss you Rick, you goofball
            HPH- The Legend

Comment

OK... done goofin' around. My old friend Redneck Jim and I got out last Saturday for some miles. The "pilgrimage" was a side trip and within 50 miles of where we were rolling to. My main goal was seat time, and I got a nice "two tank" trip in.

There's only one direction I go when I break the chains- South. Of course, when I use IN 3 I always have to pay homage to the ol' Deuce and a quarter on the corner. It's been there as long as I can remember.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200530_094008_resized.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	1255598

The main purpose in this was seat time, and Jim didn't care where we went, so I wanted him to see the li'l road I discovered last week. This leads to the often-spoke-about Oldenburg, the Village of Spires. We were there twice.

This is a good thing.

The first visit straddled lunch and we discovered Der Perlin Strasse Pub was serving a limited menu outside. So Jim and I actually was able to place an order and eat in a civilized manner. It was fabulous!

Name:	20200530_105041_resized.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	1255599

Name:	20200530_105106_resized.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1255600

Great view of Jim's 2000 Electraglide Standard trike conversion.

Some snaps of the town... well cronicled here in years past.

Name:	20200530_135945_resized.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	966.5 KB
ID:	1255601

Name:	20200530_140040_resized.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	946.5 KB
ID:	1255602

Name:	20200530_212627_resized.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	852.0 KB
ID:	1255603

Was a great day! Got to hang out with a friend, blow some stink and some rust off, waste some 93 octane, and then come back and spin a story!

It was all true, BTW. Except for my being angry at the outcome of a roundball game 66 years ago.

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Couple more little things when we were in the tiny town of Milan, standing around looking into the 1954 museum. It was 2:00ish PM on a Saturday, and the downtown was deserted. On the next corner was a large diner, which was closed due to the virus. There was an old boy that rolled up on a big camo 4-wheeler and he shut it down right in the middle of the street, and said hello. Just then a dude on a Road King rolled up, and asked the old guy where he and his pals could eat. Old guy directed them to a bar a block the other way. Road King rode off.

Old boy said, "You fellers want to go into the museum? It's supposed to be closed but [waving his cellphone around] I can call Millie and she can be here in 10 minutes, and open 'er up for ya! Where you boys from?"

Jim said, "No, that's OK, thanks just the same. I'm from Greenwood, and HE... [dramatic pause] ... He's from Muncie!"

Ol' boy thought that was funny as hell, and fired up and left laughing.

Their li'l museum was just as much about the 1986 movie as it was the 1954 game. out of sight from my only photo shooting thru the plate glass, on each side of the wall were all the team jerseys worn... lots of memorabilia.

Good stuff, and a good day!

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Great thread, Dave!
                  OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
                  2014 FLHXS
                  U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

Indeed another great thread!

I am staring at the pic of the museum for the game and I am looking at that milling machine on the right...whats a milling machine doing there....glorified with gold columns....that is a weird miller for sure....then I read: "Obviously the former bank"....and I take another peek....I need another glass of ice tea to wake me up!

I love the pics you post of Indiana. I want to come back and just take a week or two and explore the state. Did someone mention Herdstock Indiana?
                    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by BaggerBum View Post
                      Indeed another great thread!

I am staring at the pic of the museum for the game and I am looking at that milling machine on the right...whats a milling machine doing there....glorified with gold columns....that is a weird miller for sure....then I read: "Obviously the former bank"....and I take another peek....I need another glass of ice tea to wake me up!
                      PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Great story , at first I thought you were going to be the cause of the loss ...

JtB

Comment

You should have been a writer!!
                          sigpicHERD medic! #00039
                          I am Jase's precious
                          HPH- The Legend

Comment

I miss your princess stories
                            sigpicHERD medic! #00039
                            I am Jase's precious
                            HPH- The Legend

Comment

Working...
                            X