Big D's annual service and-- Naaaa.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big D's annual service and-- Naaaa.

I started riding motorcycles since 1969, and (co)owned a bike in 1970, as a 17 year old, with my brother. It was a Harley, too! A 125cc Italian import Harley Rapido street/trail bike. Briiing-bing bing!

Then a couple Hondas, then when my daughter was born in 1980, and somehow it seemed like the right idea to NOT ride a motorcycle. Who knows the reasons that motivated me then. Ancient history.

When I resumed riding in 2006, with buying a Superglide, one of my selling points in trying to convince my bride was my bold statement "I'll assume all the maintenance on the bike, to save money." Now, I have some history with grandiose statements such as this, but, I kept this promise to my bride on this point. When the weather closed in after that first season I was all excited about doing updates along with scheduled service, and my bride, that voice of reason, told me in no uncertain terms I'd better not ruin Christmas.

"Nope. I'll wait until New Years". Thus began my 13 consecutive years of putting the bike on the lift on or around New Years day. And after I joined Herd, I'd post this annual service here, and drone on and on, about such vital crapola as polishing aluminum nobody would ever see.

So, it's time. But here I sit.
    PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

Ear Tag no. 00030
    MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
    Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
    If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
    The missing link
    http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

So, anyway, here I sit. Having been gutted like a fish a couple weeks ago, and STILL with something like a Bic pen stuck in a very tender, embarrassing place. (This is out Tuesday the 7th.)

OK, here she sits.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200104_103818_resized[1888].jpg
Views:	80
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	1251870

I charged the battery the other day and fired it.

Come spring, I'll be able to do a published 5,000 mile service to it. Sadly, last year, for a whole variety of reasons, I only rode 3k or so, but she won't need much.

Clint said, "Man's got to know his limitations", and even though I intend to fully recover from this li'l medical setback, there won't be any more "tranny out" work, etc.

I have always taken pride in doing it all. I only hired out mounting and balancing tires, but I would take off/put on the wheels. I hired out the rebuild on my front forks... these are the Sport style Showa tubes, and reading up on the rebuild in the manual (some 35 pages devoted to it) with several specialized spring compression fixtures.

Anyway, I'm passing the baton to the indy here in town. Looking at a rear tire, and perhaps new wheel bearings, as they're original equipment.

~~

So, there ya have it. Th most boring bike update thread ever.

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

I was expecting this not this not having much to do to your ride to get ready for spring is a good thing IMHO
        1986 FXR 2015 Road Glide

Member #00014

Comment

Keep healing up and let us know when the 5K Service begins...we’ll be here lol! I’m still kinda stuck on the original bearings in a 2001 bike! My ‘17 has already needed both front and rear replacements...
          Bob

Official HERD Member #00230

Old Saybrook, CT
          '17 FLHXS Street Glide Special

Comment

Nothing boring about it. You just hang in there and get healed afore trying any riding.
            The guy I work with went through the same operation, He makes some pretty good humor about it.
            Ear Tag no. 00030
            The missing link

Comment

Any and all ramblings from you Dave are welcome. I've never myself enjoyed wrenching a bike but do enjoy reading play by play works. Good luck Tuesday.
              Mark

Comment

Good to hear from you Dave--on any level. Just keep healin' up, man, I'm PRAYIN' you make HS this year.
                Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
                Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
                See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Hours View Post
                  I was expecting this not this not having much to do to your ride to get ready for spring is a good thing IMHO
                  2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                  HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

I'm all healed up. Turned 'ol TARA over to a damned good indy. They, as most businesses are now, are closed, but the shop was still doing service. I gave them a list of stuff I wanted done. They called yesterday and finished the list of stuff I wanted done.

New rear Michelin 180/80-16, balanced
                    Front tire (slow leak) de-mounted, spun, rim surfaced, re-mounted
                    Cam chain tensioners inspected. Inner tensioner showed less than 1/32", outer had zero wear. Good to go.
                    New cam gasket
                    Spectro 20w50 syn
                    Hiflo hf171c chrome oil filter
                    Inspected front & rear wheel bearings- smooth, seals clean
                    At my request, they re-torqued both compression relief valves (I don't want to blow out any more of these. It's very embarrassing.)

~~

I finished it up with-

Spectro 75-140 high sulfur syn transmission lube (Baker performance recommendation)
                    Spectro primary oil
                    Primary chain cantenary sag check- 3/4"
                    Baker "Big Shoe" idler shoe (new last year) showed ZERO wear
                    Did NOT adjust the clutch. I've done that every service, and wasted my time. This Barnett clutch does NOT wear.
                    Brakes- pads all around looked 80% to 100%.
                    Air cleaner clean (K&N permanent)
                    Brake lines clean and dry. Fluid fine

I did NOT lube the clutch cable. It was done 3k ago.
                    Ditto the steering head bearings. Didn't have the wheels off the ground. Did this last year 3k miles ago. It's fine.
                    I have a small leak at the mid jackshaft sleeve that spots a drip or two once in a while from the inside of the primary. Not worth fixing this year... just keep an eye on the oil level. When I do a belt change, I'll plug the hole with a big bolt like my other bike.

I DID check the rear wheel alignment with my li'l gage. The indy lined it up spot-on. Ditto the belt tightness.

I don't know what else to do to it. Other than give it a shine and clean.

Ready to roll...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200327_164816_resized[2254].jpg
Views:	37
Size:	569.2 KB
ID:	1253496

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

That's a pretty machine Dave, Glad to see you got her fixed up just in time for spring riding.
                      1986 FXR 2015 Road Glide

Member #00014

Comment

Nice job once again Dave. Now, get out there and burn some of that 99 cent gasoline, oh wait, You probably burn the premium stuff, mor like about a buck twenty a gallon.
                        My nephews GF is in OKcity, she posted a pic on her face book of a gas stations billboard, 99 cents a gallon.
                        Ear Tag no. 00030
                        The missing link

Comment

Working...
                        X