Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where fools rush in

Alternate title: Big D is an idiot.

Here is a recent picture of my beloved vintage "I don't have any business owning anything this nice" Yamaha CR-1040 receiver amp. Naturally, I've blown off about this in several threads here. I could go on and on how cool it is... the absolute surgical performance this big rig can produce. Suffice it to say it was a 4 decades old dream to own something like this, and I've thoroughly enjoyed owning it. It's performance in its' vintage state is most likely down a bit, being 41 years old. but a few tenths of a percent off of impossible-to-comprehend specs is not an issue. The vintage audio phenomenon exists nowadays as testament to these things being desired by Boomer nostalgics (like me) but THEY WORK and they are servicable and beautiful and perform.

Sorry.

Anyway, here's a recent pic of my beloved coveted monster:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190817_113205_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	734.8 KB ID:	1249264

Well , you see my thoroughbred, over the space of a year, the metering lamps quit, then the AM/FM indicator lamp went, then two of the four lamps that illuminated the upper band went. Didn't hurt a darned thing. But it was a pride thing. Would you drive your vintage Chevelle SS-454 with a tail light and a parking light out? Nope.

So. As I lurk at a large vintage audio site (AudioKarma.org) I find that this is common, and that enterprising owners do all sorts of DIY to their precious rigs.

HMMMM. I can possibly do that, I thought. So- you ever see the conflicted person in the movies, with an angel on one shoulder advising caution, and the devil yelling full speed ahead?

Devil won. Sure! I can solder... the lamps are cheap... saves me from driving 70 miles one way to the shop and him having it for 3 weeks...

I bought a lamp kit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190817_115618_resized_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	909.8 KB ID:	1249265
    Last edited by Big D; 08-29-2019, 01:22 PM.
    PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

I borrowed a voltage tester. I poured over several Youtube videos where service techs performed this update.

Piece of cake.

Here's what the guts of state of the art Japanese consumer electronics looks like inside, almost a half-century ago. At least 60 capacitors of all shapes and sizes, Transistors out the wazoo, all soldered to circuit boards. Mechanical radio tuners. Large power supplies, pre-amps, amps, and God knows what else.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_115933_resized.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1249268

So, have you ever been here? Where the voice inside your head says, "Don't DO IT!"

I watched the 'Tube vid again, did a mental countdown, and attempted to test the 30 V circuit to read the voltage to the 4-lamp illumination bar. There was small *POP*, a flash, a ribbon of smoke, and a blackened fuse.

I blew it up. My coveted Yamaha.

I took a walk. After the walk, I bought a 2 amp fuse, all I knew to do. Nope.

This was a month ago, folks. After staring at the vacant spot in front of me "listening area" I dug my garage Kenwood receiver out and grimly hooked it up in its place. It was akin to parking a Vega in the place of the SS-454, to sit there and leak oil.

Ugh.
    PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

One whole month went by. Then I returned to the candy store. At Getchell Amplifiers yesterday, I skulked around, hoping Bobby Getchell wouldn't wait on me. He didn't.

Now, Bobby is a one man shop, and he has some modest inventory.

Nestled amongst the Pioneers and the Sansuis, I found a Pristine Yamaha CR-820. The 20 series meant a less controversial pre-amp and this nice rig is conservatively rated at 55 WPC. That beautiful, clinical sound Yam's are known for. This one had been completely serviced and over half the capacitors replaced. Bobby said he went thru it and ESR tested all caps and they were in spec.

The price was right. I brought it home.

Ain't gonna bore you with any more gushes. But this one, having been gone through, sounds beyond my expectations.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190828_210702_resized (002).jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.35 MB ID:	1249270

I'm back in business. Here, in very low light, in my listeners' chair, enjoying a Goodwill find Beth scored for $1- a mono Nat King Cole record from the early '60's that didn't look like a needle had ever dropped on it.

~~~
      ~~~

"But D? What did you do with your old one?"

Ahhh. I carefully put it back in its walnut case, covered the vents with a hand towel, and it will, for a long forsee-able future, sit prominently on my workbench. I see it every time I enter the garage. Every time I re-load ammo, or do anything. It will remain there to taunt me and warn me.

Big D is an idiot.
      Last edited by Big D; 08-29-2019, 02:38 PM.
      PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Not necessarily so Big D. Get into that old tuner/receiver, chase down them circuits, figure out what went wrong and fix it. I know You can do it, and learn too.
        Ear Tag no. 00030
        MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
        Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
        If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
        The missing link
        http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarty51 View Post
          Not necessarily so Big D. Get into that old tuner/receiver, chase down them circuits, figure out what went wrong and fix it. I know You can do it, and learn too.
          ABSOLUTELY!

How much to have the shop fix it? Get it done, while you have a source to do so.
          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarty51 View Post
            Uhhhh no. This is best left to professionals.

When I have done enough pennance with ashes and sack cloth, I will then take it to "a guy" and pay an evaluation fee for if it can be fixed.

This is a XX40 series Yam receiver which had unusual pre-amps, which bare no longer servicable. This makes the similar featured XX20 series more desireable. Appreciate the confidence, but I'll leave the surgery to surgeons.

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post

Uhhhh no. This is best left to professionals.

When I have done enough pennance with ashes and sack cloth, I will then take it to "a guy" and pay an evaluation fee for if it can be fixed.

This is a XX40 series Yam receiver which had unusual pre-amps, which bare no longer servicable. This makes the similar featured XX20 series more desireable. Appreciate the confidence, but I'll leave the surgery to surgeons.

Ear Tag no. 00030
              MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
              Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
              If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
              The missing link
              http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Working...
              X