The Topic With No Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Topic With No Name

Again, I say, Monday's are okay--I just wish today wasn't one of 'emÖI feel like I'm drownin' on dry land. My give-a-damn is broken plumb down to the crankshaft. My boss knows it. Her boss knows it, too. As a matter of fact, he was the first one I told about it. I'm tired of the broken promises. I'm tired of the impossible expectations. I'm tired of the long, long, LONG hours. I'm tired of having to be perfect Every Single Time. I'm tired of cybersecurity, database management, phone systems management, patch management, Active Directory management, having to know in-depth every single application, server management, PC maintenance, VMWare, BYOD management, etc. etc. The list just goes on and on and on.

I'm thinkin' 'bout two words: Early...Retirement...

And then immediately takin' a road trip...

I've worked full time for 43 years, and paid a lot of taxes. I'm tired. Burned out. Afraid that the next election will result in my retirement savings taking a Godzilla sized tax hit.

Got a song stuck in my head: "Cool Change." Just feel like it's 'bout time to Clock Out.
    Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
    Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
    See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

I feel for you, Kev, and I know exactly where you're coming from.

I had hoped to be able to retire soon myself, or at least go part time, but it is not likely.

Hope it comes together for you, though, and soon.
    Kristy
    Official HERD Member #00205

'09 Softail Deluxe - Mojo
    Stage 1, dyno, no major mods but it's shiny!

Comment

Hoping for the best for ya brother. Hoping you can walk away (ride away) and not look back!
      A.K.A. Chad
      Official Ear Tag #163
      Official Member Paracord Posse
      2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited
      "I talk a lot but don't say much, and I know it..."
      "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

Comment

I told my boss Friday that I was looking into it pretty hard. Her boss then made his way down to my building to "check my temperature". He hadn't been down here in months, so the coincidence was just too great.

He told my little group down here that if we completed a particularly difficult project by August 15 he'd see about giving us a bonus. We NEVER get bonuses. I took him at his word. I worked 16 hour days, weekends, and on Thursday the 15th we were so close...I came in here at 4am, skipped lunch, and finished the project at 11:45PM, literally 15 minutes before the deadline.

When he paid me the visit Friday, he said, "Hey Kev, just want to tell you thanks for all your hard work. We all really appreciate it."

I blurted out, "So, just how big is this bonus going to be?" Now, he is an absolute penny pincher, and he looked away. His body language appeared like he was as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rockin' chairs. He said, "we'll have to wait and see...we've had some budgetary expenses of late that we didn't expect."

I blurted, "And that is my team's fault, how? Or is it senior management's shortsightedness?" He shot an anxious look at my boss and left. Hurriedly. BUT, before he could get gone I blurted, "Uh huh, that's what I thought."

Comment

I think sometimes it is better to take a hit in the reduced retirement and bail than it is to stick around and pack a resentment that`ll eatyuh up.
          Ear Tag no. 00030
          MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
          Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
          If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
          The missing link
          http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

I retired a bit before I was really ready due to a number of things Kev, but Iíve got to tell you the truth, I really donít miss the world and all of its bullshi#, and I don't think it misses me either! Only you know when itís really time Brudda. Thereís bikes, and rides, and fish, and golf, and a little hustling jobs here and there, but mostly itís just GOOD time.
            Bob

Official HERD Member #00230

Westchester County, NY
            '17 FLHXS Street Glide Special

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarty51 View Post
              I think sometimes it is better to take a hit in the reduced retirement and bail than it is to stick around and pack a resentment that`ll eatyuh up.
              Wisdom. Thanks, Marty.

Comment

Originally posted by Firenailer View Post
                I retired a bit before I was really ready due to a number of things Kev, but Iíve got to tell you the truth, I really donít miss the world and all of its bullshi#, and I don't think it misses me either! Only you know when itís really time Brudda. Thereís bikes, and rides, and fish, and golf, and a little hustling jobs here and there, but mostly itís just GOOD time.
                Perspective. Thanks, Bob.
                Man that sounds good to me!

Comment

Kevin, with your knowledge there's plenty of ways to make good money while being "officially" retired. And the best part about going that route is that you can work when you want, for whom you want and do it on your terms.

Comment

I'm the boss and yet I struggle at times but by golly....the boss has to take care of their people.

Your cheap and inconsiderate bosses boss with empty promises (and your boss for not sticking up for you) is not a good leader. The company may grow but it will do it with resentment from employees. I bet it's not a happy place to work. Small town where people need work and don't want to commute to larger cities because of traffic and you have local organizations taking advantage of their employees. Sad and tragic place to be in.

You....I've known for years and how dedicated you are. Perhaps just give it 110% instead of 200%. Learn to relax and deal with realistic deadlines. If it requires more resources, let them bring it in instead of you burning the candle oil during each project.

But the getting away retirement word does sound pretty good. Just need to manage

Come down here for the weekend Kevin. You are about 6 hours away.
                    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
                      I'm the boss and yet I struggle at times but by golly....the boss has to take care of their people.

Your cheap and inconsiderate bosses boss with empty promises (and your boss for not sticking up for you) is not a good leader. The company may grow but it will do it with resentment from employees. I bet it's not a happy place to work. Small town where people need work and don't want to commute to larger cities because of traffic and you have local organizations taking advantage of their employees. Sad and tragic place to be in.

You....I've known for years and how dedicated you are. Perhaps just give it 110% instead of 200%. Learn to relax and deal with realistic deadlines. If it requires more resources, let them bring it in instead of you burning the candle oil during each project.

But the getting away retirement word does sound pretty good. Just need to manage

Come down here for the weekend Kevin. You are about 6 hours away.
                      Frank, Brother you nailed it.

And Iíd love to ride down and see you. Got to make that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKing View Post
                        Kevin, with your knowledge there's plenty of ways to make good money while being "officially" retired. And the best part about going that route is that you can work when you want, for whom you want and do it on your terms.
                        ...and thanks, Henry, for the encouragement. Iíve pretty well got my mind set now on what Iím going to do, and suddenly, even just todayóI feel alive and well again. Liberated. They got nothing on me. Any pressure I feel now is self-inflicted from years of trying to perform at superhuman levels. Self-inflicted pressure to please everyone, far exceed expectations, do the work of 3-4 full time people.

Today I couldnít wipe the grin off my face. I was looking at what has to be doneóabsolutely HAS to be done by December 31. And it hit me.

ĎYep. This HAS to be done. And it will require nights, days, weekends, focus, perfect organization, and flawless execution. It HAS to be done...But it DOESNíT HAVE to be done by me. This is somebody elseís problem. This place is gonna find out how much this costs to bring in the resources to get this done, or it ainít gettiní done ď

poof. Just like that! I could hear Mel Gibson in that movie yelliní FREEDOM!

Comment

None of this probably would have happened if Iíd just gotten to go to Herdstock.

CHILDREN OF THE PASTURE: Those are the important things. Not SQL data mining, or core system releases, or disaster recovery tests, or data center maintenance, or redesigning call centers and voice systems, or...well, you get the picture...

Comment

That right there is gold. I told my wife that on her last project. You putting in 12+ hour days for weeks at a time, just means they'll expect that all the time. If they think they can get away with continually overworking someone, they will. Because its cheaper than paying benefits for a second person.

Don't get me wrong. I don't know what an 8 hour day looks like. But I also understand that if I overdo it, all they'll do is expect it all the time.

A.K.A. Chad
                            Official Ear Tag #163
                            Official Member Paracord Posse
                            2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited
                            "I talk a lot but don't say much, and I know it..."
                            "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

Comment

Awe jeez. My heart hurts reading this.

Boss (OUR virtuous Boss, not that questionable pair of them you work for) nailed so many things, just above, IMO. My impression is, tho, that you (Kev) won't or can't "throttle back" to 110% effort. Ain't in your DNA. As long as I've been on this message board, I've known in the abstract that you have been at an absolute 200% W.O.T. effort with impossible delivery deadlines.

I've been at it for 49 years now. And as some here already know, my company is going down and down. Evolving markets, etc. but I lay most of this spiral (now) to ineptitude in management. Anyway, that's not important to this post, other than to say I've been here at this company for 36 years now. I've had occasion over the years to proudly say, "I've been here for X years!" and someone, a few years back, rather than praise and patronize me, said "Why?" He then left it unsaid, "You're a dumbass"

I no longer beat that drum.

Kev, it's been years and years ago, but I was once told, "They whip the best horses", and I have proudly been that best horse, and as things grew, I have sometimes (rather ruefully) whipped the best horses in my team, over the years. Its sometimes how stuff gets done. But laboring under relentless tasks without either reward or break is drudgery, and no fun. And you've been under this lash for years.

Time, as we progress through life, is many times the enemy. But in my case, due to my age (and my bride's age) it is on our side. I can now (as of July) draw my full SS, in addition to making as much income as I want. I can continue to work at my engineering firm as long as I can contribute, working from home most days, but if the Mother Ship runs up on the rocks? So be it. Anyway, I applied that ol' Serenity Prayer to the place- I sought understanding and serenity in understanding the things I could not change, and to change the things I can, and sought the wisdom to know the difference.

(It ain't a real post from me until I pull out some shop-worn AA dogma on everyone, is it?)

I work a reasonable amount of hours now, and when I "clock out", I do so mentally as well. I'm out of here around 3:30ish, on the days I make it into the office, and I get to see the grandkids most days. And Beth and I are just a few months away from being free of the most crippling budget-busting albatross ever- health care.

Selfish? Perhaps. But happy? Hell yes!

You're Give-a-damn broke? I misplaced my Give-a-shitter months ago!

If you made a break, as MrMarty and Henry suggested, you'd be stunned at how employable you are. They're right- I'm afraid it's eating you up.

I've tried to do this post in chunks as I thought it... hope it's not too disjointed.
                              Last edited by Big D; 08-21-2019, 02:33 PM.
                              PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

Comment

Originally posted by LilJo View Post
                                None of this probably would have happened if Iíd just gotten to go to Herdstock.

CHILDREN OF THE PASTURE: Those are the important things. Not SQL data mining, or core system releases, or disaster recovery tests, or data center maintenance, or redesigning call centers and voice systems, or...well, you get the picture...
                                I know you work for a financial institution with strict security guidelines that requires a vendor to at the very minimum have a SOC 2 Type II audits and certification....Have y'all considered a secured cloud environment? No maintenance, upkeep, server upgrades, hardware...etc.? Could that be an option? You can be the administrator of the entire program.
                                2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                                HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

I know you work for a financial institution with strict security guidelines that requires a vendor to at the very minimum have a SOC 2 Type II audits and certification....Have y'all considered a secured cloud environment? No maintenance, upkeep, server upgrades, hardware...etc.? Could that be an option? You can be the administrator of the entire program.
                                  Theyíll be considering it soon Frank. And they can get somebody else to administer it. Iím that horse Dave speaks of, and I am Ďbout to spit the bit. Itís already settled in my mind. Iím just going to work a normal day and as the Dec 31 deadlines approach they will eventually come asking how itís going. I will tell them there ainít no way weíll make it. They will stammer and exchange anxious looks and finally get the nerve to ask me why not. Iíll grin, you know, that big grin of mine, and Iíll say because it canít be done without someone being willing to work 100 focused hours a week, which just ainít possible.

Thetll freak and ask hard hard questions like why havenít I told them earlier. Iíll still be grinniní when I tell Ďem I did. They just werenít listening. Theyíll ask Ďwhat are we going to do.í

I will tell them we need to start by replacing the crankshaft in my Give A Damn.

Comment

Originally posted by LilJo View Post

Theyíll be considering it soon Frank. And they can get somebody else to administer it. Iím that horse Dave speaks of, and I am Ďbout to spit the bit. Itís already settled in my mind. Iím just going to work a normal day and as the Dec 31 deadlines approach they will eventually come asking how itís going. I will tell them there ainít no way weíll make it. They will stammer and exchange anxious looks and finally get the nerve to ask me why not. Iíll grin, you know, that big grin of mine, and Iíll say because it canít be done without someone being willing to work 100 focused hours a week, which just ainít possible.

Thetll freak and ask hard hard questions like why havenít I told them earlier. Iíll still be grinniní when I tell Ďem I did. They just werenít listening. Theyíll ask Ďwhat are we going to do.í

I will tell them we need to start by replacing the crankshaft in my Give A Damn.

Ouch! But reality is real....They chose not to listen when they should have!
                                    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                                    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Ouch! But reality is real....They chose not to listen when they should have!
                                      They never listen to reality as they only care about today's bottom line. And if they can get $2 of work for only $1 they'll never offer to pay more.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKing View Post

They never listen to reality as they only care about today's bottom line. And if they can get $2 of work for only $1 they'll never offer to pay more.
                                        You're exactly right, Henry. I created this problem. I have done the work of 4 people for about the last 10 years, and the work of at least 3 people from the day I hired on. I've met every deadline. We pass audits and federal exams with the highest grades in the entire state of Arkansas (I ain't kiddin'). Regulators brag to senior management that our Information Technology department is the best they've seen anywhere, and they even remark how incredible it is that we accomplish so much with so few resources.

The way we do it is that I come in at night 3-4 times a week and leave around midnight or 1AM, then come back early morning around 4-5AM and work throughout the day. Go home, eat supper with my family, roll back in and do it again. Especially when there are looming deadlines or projects that can only be worked on when I have the liberty to shut down servers, etc.

Since "it's always gotten done" senior management couldn't care less what it took to do it.

They 'bout to care.

Comment

Working...
                                        X