A half-century-old desire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A half-century-old desire

Where's Big D been hiding? He was always blowing off about stuff... riding that silly bicycle around... posting pic's of a stereo that virtually Everyone had, in the day.

Well, folks, there just hadn't been anything to talk about. To write about. Ho hum. Slog to work most days, slog home. The work ain't fun any more. And (I say this every year) the so-called spring has been the worst ever in these parts. We get half-day glimpses of spring, in between Jim Cantiore-type disaster weather.A Oh well.

Anyway, the other day, in downtown Indy at a traffic light, I heard a motorcycle, and as the rider went around me and changed lanes, I just got a glimpse of that oh-so familiar two color tank... and something else. Forward foot controls.

WHAT???

It was a Triumph, all right. A classic-shaped one, not Star Wars wannabe sport bike. Be still, my heart!

But FORWARD CONTROLS?? (Personal note. I cannot ride a motorcycle with mid controls. A bike like a Heritage Softail with footboards is ok... both my Superglides had/have forwards. The mids-style just cramps me up. Just me.) I'd sat on a Bonneville several years back, and that would have been a deal breaker, had I been in the market.

But looky here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-Triumph-Bonneville-Speedmaster-retro-cruising-motorcycle-6.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	527.3 KB
ID:	1246035

Name:	Triumph-Bonneville-Speedmaster-2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	1246036

Name:	6000000013.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	791.2 KB
ID:	1246037
    PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

I knew a mean group that owned Triumph motorcycles. They thought they were the chets.
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Ever since I could remember, I wanted a Triumph when I was a young man. In junior high, my favorite doodle (next to a T-bucket hot rod) was a Triumph, or the slightly lesser desirable BSA with their chrome tanks, or the rarer Norton. When I became "aware" of desirable things along about 1965 or so (girls and motorcycles)

**I gots more... just got interrupted. To be continued**

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

That is a beauty of a motorcycle.
        I have had several Brit classics over the years, even restored a 1957 Triumph Thunderbird.
        I am now working over a 1974 Triumph Trident 750 that looks quite a bit like that bike in the picture. I need to get a transmission inner cover ordered for it, seeing as how I got paid the other day and the cash is in duh wallet.
        Ear Tag no. 00030
        MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
        Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
        If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
        The missing link
        http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarty51 View Post
          ...I am now working over a 1974 Triumph Trident 750 that looks quite a bit like that bike in the picture....
          Mr. Marty! I got to ride a mid-70's Trident back in the day, owned by a co-worker at the time. It was a fine bike, and a Triumph through and through, but the only thing I really remember about the bike was the elegant Siamese exhaust header!
          PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

OK... the other day, I was consumed by wanting to tell you about this Triumph I saw, and the fact it was a cruiser and had forward controls, and... and... it triggered so many memories. Good, wistful, and not-so... So here goes.

~~

Ever since I could remember, I wanted a Triumph when I was a young man. In junior high, my favorite doodle (next to a T-bucket hot rod) was a Triumph, or the slightly lesser desirable BSA with their chrome tanks, or the rarer Norton. When I became "aware" of desirable things along about 1965 or so (girls and motorcycles) there were basically two kinds of bikes running around town. Harleys and the Brit bikes.

It was the Triumph that tripped my hammer for a long period of time.

A neighbor had a late sixties gold Bonnie, and it had ear-splitting straight pipes. It was rough, but I loved it. They lived a good block away, but when Rusty would fire it, dad would always get mad.

Ahhh, the lofty goals I had as a youth. At 16, it wasn't about college, a profession... of HELL no. I had a crush on Mrs. Emma Peel of The Avengers TV series (unobtainable) Would I ever own a Corvette? (Unobtainable-took an additional 25 years) Could I ever buy a Harley? (unobtainable- took an additional 37 years) Could I ever get Patty W's bra unhooked with one hand at the Drive-in? (that campaign took 6 whole intense months) and would I ever get a Triumph? Well, maybe!

Awe jeez... Kristy is gonna read this, and think- "Is this all guys think about?" Well, I'm much older now, and I can tell you this... Yes, that's about all we think about.

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

When I was in high school I spent months drooling over my friends Norton 750

Name:	Norton_Commando_Fastback_1969.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	824.3 KB
ID:	1246062

Comment

And he rode that from NY to Miami after graduating. Lost touch with him after that but someone told me that it took him 3 days to get off the bike after he got there, lol.

Comment

I never owned one. I looked for one, in the late '70's. These were pre-internet days, and as the nearest dealer was 50 miles away, I would just look in the local paper want-ads, and drive by the Honda dealer. For a month or so I had $800 cash burning a hole thru my pocket, (a princely sum in the '70's) and that would do it for a 7 or so year old Tiger or Bonneville.

Couldn't find one. I think we bought a new washer and drier. Pfffft.

~~

The new Triumph Bonnie Speedmaster has a lot going for it, to my mind. The requisite laid back seating, a must for me, thoroughly modern electronics, like throttle by wire, stuff like two settings on throttle response, including "rain"... things like that.

Harley is not the only company that take styling cues from yesteryear...

Click image for larger version  Name:	3D-triumph-bonneville-speedmaster-2018_D.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.0 KB ID:	1246079

Check out what appears to be the trusty Amal carburetor on each side feeding each jug. Nope- that's fully modern fuel injection, meant to LOOK like an ol' Amal. Oh! And that beautiful engine cover! I remember the first time I ever saw a Wankel engine cutaway, I thought, "Hey! That rotor looks like a Triumph lower case!"

So! Nostalgia being what it is... those ol' Brit bikes were junk. The electrics? Lucas- AKA "The prince of darkness". Engine cases that leaked oil worse than any pan or shovel. Kickers that bought steady groceries to the worlds' orthopedic surgeons. Over-rev one, or miss a shift, and the generator rotor would throw wire into a birds nest. And so on.

Nowadays? In this global economy, the little Union Jack flag these bike fly? Well, they're installed in Cambodia. And, you can't overlook the radiator. Even Harleys have radiators.

Price of the Bonnie? $13k.

I'm gettin' old.

~~

So! About the time I was letting my gray matter dwell on this nostalgia the other day, a miraculous thing happened. We got ONE spring day that actually was a spring day. So I got TARA out, did a quick mental checklist trying to remember just HOW to ride the thing... and went out and wrung it out.

It was quickly apparent that this 18 year old Superglide Sport is much faster, and much more nimble than that Bonnie. I got back home and parked it and thought, well, I'm over that Triumph business. Again.

I remember Kev Li'lJo said one time... and I'll paraphrase- "I'll quit pining about the nicest bike I'll ever want, and enjoy the nicest bike I ever owned."

So... here's what I finally considered buying:

Click image for larger version  Name:	54350248_1596224087147458_1947288724047921152_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.5 KB ID:	1246080

Last edited by Big D; 05-02-2019, 07:17 AM.
                  PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                    OK... the other day, I was consumed by wanting to tell you about this Triumph I saw, and the fact it was a cruiser and had forward controls, and... and... it triggered so many memories. Good, wistful, and not-so... So here goes.

~~

Ever since I could remember, I wanted a Triumph when I was a young man. In junior high, my favorite doodle (next to a T-bucket hot rod) was a Triumph, or the slightly lesser desirable BSA with their chrome tanks, or the rarer Norton. When I became "aware" of desirable things along about 1965 or so (girls and motorcycles) there were basically two kinds of bikes running around town. Harleys and the Brit bikes.

It was the Triumph that tripped my hammer for a long period of time.

A neighbor had a late sixties gold Bonnie, and it had ear-splitting straight pipes. It was rough, but I loved it. They lived a good block away, but when Rusty would fire it, dad would always get mad.

Ahhh, the lofty goals I had as a youth. At 16, it wasn't about college, a profession... of HELL no. I had a crush on Mrs. Emma Peel of The Avengers TV series (unobtainable) Would I ever own a Corvette? (Unobtainable-took an additional 25 years) Could I ever buy a Harley? (unobtainable- took an additional 37 years) Could I ever get Patty W's bra unhooked with one hand at the Drive-in? (that campaign took 6 whole intense months) and would I ever get a Triumph? Well, maybe!

Awe jeez... Kristy is gonna read this, and think- "Is this all guys think about?" Well, I'm much older now, and I can tell you this... Yes, that's about all we think about.

Jeez, Dave, really???

(She says, while taking a break from a myriad of romance novels because her imagination is the only thing getting a workout these days...)

Anyhoodle. Good call on passing on the Triumph in favor of Tara. Though I admit I might have the smallest bias.
                    Kristy
                    Official HERD Member #00205

'09 Softail Deluxe - Mojo
                    Stage 1, dyno, no major mods but it's shiny!

Comment

Ray Lomas road a Triumph Bonneville.....wrecked it on his last ton....
                      Mark

Comment

I have a Triumph T-Shurt, but its a Trident engine and the T-shurt is old, very old, I`ll pull it out and see if there is enough of it left to get a pic of it.
                        Ear Tag no. 00030
                        The missing link

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyGirl65 View Post

Jeez, Dave, really??? (She says, while taking a break from a myriad of romance novels because her imagination is the only thing getting a workout these days...)

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Originally posted by BaggerBum View Post
                            Ray Lomas road a Triumph Bonneville.....wrecked it on his last ton....
                            Without Googling him, who is Ray Lomas?
                            Mark

Comment

Name:	Glenn & Mike 67 B'ville.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	1246133My first motorcycle bought new in 67'.
                              Where does it say Humpty Dumpty was an Egg?
                              Official HERD Member #00127 - Glenn
                              Growing old is not for Sissies..........

Comment

Originally posted by gtoracer View Post

Name:	Glenn & Mike 67 B'ville.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	1246133My first motorcycle bought new in 67'.
                                That's a beauty.
                                Ear Tag no. 00030
                                The missing link

Comment

Here is a pic of My very old Triumph Trident t-shurt, it is faded, wrinkled and stained and the label still says Made in England. Dont think I should warsh it, might have nothing left when it comes out.

Name:	TT.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	440.8 KB
ID:	1246167
                                  Ear Tag no. 00030
                                  The missing link

Comment

Great thread. If money was no prob, I’d own a Triumph, a KTM 1290 Super Duke, a BMW touring bike, and about 7 more Harley’s.

That Triumph is pertiful.
                                    Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
                                    Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
                                    See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

Back in 2016 during the prez race, somebody got mugged and beaten for wearing. Triumph 2016 shirt. The assistants thought he was a Trump supporter.

c’mon, America.
                                      Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
                                      Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
                                      See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

Originally posted by LilJo View Post
                                        Great thread. If money was no prob, I’d own a Triumph, a KTM 1290 Super Duke, a BMW touring bike, and about 7 more Harley’s.

That Triumph is pertiful.
                                        I think you should get them all, then you will have no money, problem solved!
                                        Mark

Comment

Working...
                                        X