Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking in...

Hey, Herd!

Thought I'd check in. My heart is somewhat heavy... I'd love to be heading toward Michelle's this weekend.

Concerns also on the home front. I'm now near retirement age. And not prepared for it. There are some things I've taken for granted that have eroded away. Health care, for one. But there's none so front-and-center in my mind than actual employment.

I've been in the same company for 36 years. A supplier of engineering and mechanical design. We're good at it. Over the decades, we've adapted to the changing market, got leaner, stayed healthy, found new customers when the automotive suppliers went to the 3rd world. But there's lean... and leaner still.

This summer we (as a company) are struggling.

I'm fine, and will be fine. There are things I can do over the next year or so, which will be pretty lean economically. But it's not where I wanted to be right now.

But hey! You get down in the dumps. But all you do is look around. A friend and classmate of mine lost his leg to diabetes. Try as I might, I've tried to put myself in Michelle's shoes these last few months.

Last week, on a noontime walk, I stopped at the 9-11 memorial and put my hand on one of the beams out of the south tower.

What am I bitchin' about.
    PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

Last Monday, I went for a checkup, and it was boring. BP a touch on the high side of normal. Blood sugar just a tick higher than Doc wanted it to be. No chest pains (from my collapse in 2003 and two stents installed) cholesterol STUPID low. Weight a bit more than either one of us would like, but not a large concern.

Boring. When you're 65, and you're boring to a MD? That's where you want to be.

More leisure time than I'd like nowadays. More time for messing with the grandkids, more time to use these critters.

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_20180529_173841_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	229.6 KB ID:	1237244

To be frank, I have been spending more and more time on the self-powered one. One former co-worker, who openly thinks I'm nuts, and publicly challenged me, "Why?" I just have to reply-

1) I love to ride. And now I have a fabulous place in which to do so,

2) I am keeping the Reaper at bay.

~~

After the worlds' worst spring in memory (three trackable snows after the official first day of spring) my cycle computer odometer is just shy of 300 miles for 2018. A loose goal is 1k. I missed it last year by 200 or so, and I'm behind this year, but do-able.

I'm blessed. The Cardinal Greenway (I've bloviated about this before) and the White River Greenway are both just a few miles from my home. The Cardinal Greenway is a Rails-to-Trails thing on the roadbed of the old Chesapeake Ohio railway that hauled coal out of Pennsylvania and took it to Cincinnati in yesteryear.

The Greenway is a piece of that roadbed that stretches from Richmond, IN to Marion, IN, some 65 miles. The HQ offices are the restored train station in Muncie.

This, from a postcard dated 1900-

Click image for larger version  Name:	15304598_1830714627218320_62625013035706066_o.jpg Views:	1 Size:	174.6 KB ID:	1237245

Present day-

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_20180609_105127.jpg Views:	1 Size:	298.8 KB ID:	1237246
    Last edited by Big D; 06-21-2018, 12:13 PM.
    PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

I find beauty all around.

We all know that phenomenon when we ride motorcycles... that Zen-like state when, although there's noise and wind and motion and such going on, you discover you can really THINK. Well, it's even more so on a bike, in my view. After all, you're putting oxygen-enriched blood through the MixMaster.

Maybe it's just me.

Maybe BaggerBum Mark could explain it better. Mark was a road warrior!

~~

I'm a sucker for these!

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20180520_111444_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	1237248

Name:	thumbnail_20180527_103724_resized.jpg
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	1237249

Name:	thumbnail_20180529_200215_resized.jpg
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	1237250
      PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

I just ache to pack some stuff up on TARA and head... somewhere! But I think the nearest window will be September-ish.

When it happens, it'll be solo, and impromptu. The best plan is as simple as possible, up to and including "no plan at all"

Until then, there's peace, beauty, and satisfaction just a few miles from home.

Name:	thumbnail_20180620_192651_resized.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	1237253

Name:	thumbnail_20180620_190539_resized.jpg
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	1237254
        Attached Files
        PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

What a cool write up! Glad to hear that the doc is finding you boring, a little exercise goes a long freakin way as we get older. You might have even inspired me to get my mountain bike off of its hooks and hit my own trailway again. I work out like a fool on my machines down in the basement, but itíd be nice to get out and ride again - thanks!

As an aside, last month at my Clubs Barbecue, we held the party at the legion hall right next door to the Katonah Art Gallery. They share a common driveway that splits to each address. Right at the top of the splitbas the art galleryís drive circles to their parking area they put up a sculpture with ibeams and metal and stuff....I had the strangest and strongest flashback Iíve had in a long time. The girl I was with asked if I was ok, and it really took me a couple minutes to be able to tell her what was going on...itís still tough sometimes, I donít think that 9/11 will ever really fade for a lot of us.
          Last edited by Firenailer; 06-21-2018, 07:30 PM.
          Bob

Official HERD Member #00230

Westchester County, NY
          '17 FLHXS Street Glide Special

Comment

Great read, Dave!
            OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
            2014 FLHXS
            U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

The self propelled BY peddling scooter is good for your heart but TARA is good for the soul.
              2010 FLHX - Street Glide
              HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

sigpicHERD medic! #00039
                I am Jase's precious
                If you are what you eat, then I'm delicious!
                I miss you Rick, you goofball
                HPH- The Legend

Comment

Ugh.. there was supposed to be a heart.. so insert ❤️ here
                  sigpicHERD medic! #00039
                  I am Jase's precious
                  If you are what you eat, then I'm delicious!
                  I miss you Rick, you goofball
                  HPH- The Legend

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pink Harley View Post
                    Ugh.. there was supposed to be a heart.. so insert ❤️ here
                    That's your style for sure!

2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
                      The self propelled BY peddling scooter is good for your heart but TARA is good for the soul.
                      Sure is!

Name:	20180624_112418_resized (002).jpg
Size:	828.7 KB
ID:	1237494

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                        I find beauty all around.

We all know that phenomenon when we ride motorcycles... that Zen-like state when, although there's noise and wind and motion and such going on, you discover you can really THINK. Well, it's even more so on a bike, in my view. After all, you're putting oxygen-enriched blood through the MixMaster.

Maybe it's just me.

Maybe BaggerBum Mark could explain it better. Mark was a road warrior!

~~

I'm a sucker for these!

Name:	thumbnail_20180520_111444_resized.jpg
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	1237248

Name:	thumbnail_20180527_103724_resized.jpg
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	1237249

Name:	thumbnail_20180529_200215_resized.jpg
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	1237250
                        Love this thread!
                        That Ball jar in the middle...looks strangely familiar....
                        Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
                        Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
                        See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

Working...
                        X