Nice convo with a "seasoned" rider

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice convo with a "seasoned" rider

I got out for a major, impromptu (to me) much-needed ride Saturday of 340 miles.

I'd post it, but frankly, it's about the same ol, same ol' rides I take, with the same ol' same ol' pics.

But this one had a couple of highlights to it. I pulled out on IN 135 north of Nashville (Indiana) and fell in behind a pristine older BMW motorcycle. As we came into town, the sheriff had blocked the highway, and diverted us completely around the town. I got to noticing that Beemer ahead of me had a super-skinny rear tire.

The traffic was heavy and the Beemer driver pulled into the local McDonald's and I followed suit. (Had to pee real bad) He nudged into the only space available and gave me plenty of room, so I parked next to him.

His bike was magnificent! It was a R100/7 and had those beyond-cool Samsonite-looking briefcase bags on the back. I was surprised to see the fairing was a Windjammer.

You know, I'm kinda shy... But I was ready to gush on this vintage Teutonic motorcycle... natch, I asked him what year, etc., and he talked about it, and was proud of it.

It was a 1977 R100/7 with 1,000 cc mill. Bing sidedraft carbs, spoke wheels, cool stand, etc. and just near showroom condition. Fairings didn't come with most motorcycles then, and he added this one when the bike was near-new. Other than the Windjammer decal, it looked factory to me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_20180505_184419_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	326.5 KB ID:	1235719

He laughed and said he told his wife he'd like to get back into riding, and ride for several years. That was 41 years ago. The guy was near 80 now. Still chugging along.

"How many miles?" while I looked on the clock.

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_20180505_121858_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	269.4 KB ID:	1235720

He laughed at my google-eyes at 29k... said the odometer had been around twice. This BMW had almost a quarter million on it.

He said he could readily get parts for it, and laughed at the tires. He said, "They might be skinny, but they cost what the wide ones do!"

Nice guy, and still ridin' ! Bless him!
    2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

Contrast that with, several hours and 150 miles NW of there, I did a gas/pee/soda pop stop in a modern gas station on US 40.

I heard a roar, with radios at ear-bleed level to compete with the pipes, and 10 or so Harleys, all 'Glides of some sort, wobbled in and angle-parked to the front of the entrance, where you're not supposed to park. All the guys and all the girls were dressed near-identically in the latest sartorial Harley shop splendor. None of these bikes got gas. Strange. My guess is they were between bars. One of those bikes was a (I think) 2016 Ultra... the special copper-painted year. The right radiator was leaking a flood of coolant.

Unfriendly bunch. I could just barely leave, they all had me just about pinned, and just stood there watching. I got 'er done, tho... me and TARA can do low-speed wiggle just fine, thank you very much. I'm an average rider, but I was doing this average riding when most of these weekend warriors were poopin' yellow in a diaper.

Pricks.
    Last edited by Big D; 05-08-2018, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Strange how you meet some folks who get it and are just so totally cool, and then there are....the others....LOL
      Bob

Official HERD Member #00230

Westchester County, NY
      '17 FLHXS Street Glide Special

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
        Contrast that with, several hours and 150 miles NW of there, I did a gas/pee/soda pop stop in a modern gas station on US 40.

I heard a roar, with radios at ear-bleed level to compete with the pipes, and 10 or so Harleys, all 'Glides of some sort, wobbled in and angle-parked to the front of the entrance, where you're not supposed to park. All the guys and all the girls were dressed near-identically in the latest sartorial Harley shop splendor. None of these bikes got gas. Strange. My guess is they were between bars. One of those bikes was a (I think) 2016 Ultra... the special copper-painted year. The right radiator was leaking a flood of coolant.

Unfriendly bunch. I could just barely leave, they all had me just about pinned, and just stood there watching. I got 'er done, tho... me and TARA can do low-speed wiggle just fine, thank you very much. I'm an average rider, but I was doing this average riding when most of these weekend warriors were poopin' yellow in a diaper.

Pricks.
        Entirely too many of them on the roads today. I call them "credit-card" bikers. Bought into the latest and greatest social status symbols... Harleys. And all the matching branded boots, jackets, jeans, belts and do-rags. Probably ride about 1000 miles a year, at best.

But that old BMW and rider... way cooler.

Official HERD Member #00231

"Blue skies hanging over my head, I got five hundred miles to ride" - RVZ

Comment

Great read, Dave!
          OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
          2014 FLHXS
          U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

I likes this!!!
            2010 FLHX - Street Glide
            HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1235760Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	2
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1235759 Having had a couple of BMWís over the years and putting over 100K on each of them, I can attest to the sheer magic of those motorcycles. I was even in a BMW Club for awhile and went to a couple of the national rallies. Some of the riders are so cool like the guy you met, and some of em are seriously odd! LOL
              But like the V Twin, thereís something about an old Boxer engine thatís really iconic and timeless.
              Attached Files
              Bob

Westchester County, NY

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                I

Click image for larger version Name:	thumbnail_20180505_184419_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	326.5 KB ID:	1235719

Is that rear wheel missing a spoke or two?
                Mark
                HERDster #204

Ride On Larry Weaver
                Wndchsr, catch you in the breeze my friend

Comment

Originally posted by BaggerBum View Post

Is that rear wheel missing a spoke or two?
                  Nope, they're in there... just shadow...

Name:	thumbnail_20180509_084929.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1235775

Comment

A old high school pal has ridd'n BMW's all his life of various vintages. Also collects them. I snagged this photo of some vintage British bikes he has, only BMW pics I found is his modern ride.

Two Triumphs, one Norton and one BSA. And he has an old Ural with sidecar in the collection.

Name:	paul.jpg
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1235777
                    Mark
                    HERDster #204

Ride On Larry Weaver

Comment

Your buddy has some NICE bikes Mark!

Thereís a show coming up later this month, down in St Augustine Fla called Riding into history at World Golf Village that I went to once while visiting my brother. They line up an amazing number of vintage bikes all the way around this pond and you just walk around checking em out and talking to the owners. Itís a really cool concours type show. I think they have a .org website. Wasnít very expensive, but it was a GREAT show!
                      Bob

Westchester County, NY

Comment

The Norton belonged to another mutual friend, got to ride that one some back in the day. British bikes, work on them for 3 hours, ride 1, work 3, ride 1.......

This guy also has a nice collection of vintage MX rides, Maico, Husky, Penton, Ossing, Hodaka's, Bultaco, CZ with a few of early Jap bikes to round it out. And he rides them all too. We got a local riding club that bought a 100 and some acres of land and scratched out some tracks, holds scrambles and afew MX races a year. I envy the old dogs that are still fit enough to hammer the rough stuff.
                        Last edited by BaggerBum; 05-10-2018, 08:20 AM.
                        Mark
                        HERDster #204

Ride On Larry Weaver

Comment

My college roommate and his brother and father all were really into Beamers. They had 4 or 5 of them between the 3 guys. They used to go to rally's around Wisconsin for Beamer riders. The older ones were always fun bikes to ride. I'm not as big a fan of the newer, spaceship style ones. But I've never been big on sport touring and full body fairings on bikes. Just personal preference.
                          A.K.A. Chad
                          Official Ear Tag #163
                          Official Member Paracord Posse
                          2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited
                          "I talk a lot but don't say much, and I know it..."
                          "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

Comment

Mark - you are SO right about older British bikes! Right after high school I bought a basket case Triumph Bonneville. It had been left in an old garage pretty much abandoned. It WAS a really cool bike, but I donít think a more finicky, diabolically frustrating bike was ever built. I can see why it was abandoned! That one was work 5 hours, run one....Get stuck somewhere....get a ride home....haul it home.....work 3.....I really hated that bike.....
                            Bob

Westchester County, NY

Comment

Dave, yet another very cool thread!

Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
                              Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
                              See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

Working...
                              X