Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My badass little dog

Man, I've got one badass little dog!

My dog 'Ginger' is about 35 pounds, with semi-long hair. She's a light-brownish mutt I got at the dog shelter 5 years ago. She just a couple of weeks ago got done with her battle with heart worms and the 'cure' kinda messed her up a little bit physically by hurting her right hip some so that she can't quite run as fast as she used to and she gets tired a bit faster.

Thing is, she has hated snakes ever since she got her first snake bite as a pup. Here in TN we're loaded with copperheads and cotton mouths...they're damn near as numerous as the farging ticks and chiggers! Ever since that first bite, she kills every snake she sees and can catch. Doesn't matter (and I'm sure she doesn't know the difference) if it's poisonous or not, as far as she's concerned, it needs to be dead. She'll snatch it up and clomp down on it wherever she gets a hold of it and shake that sucker all over the place til it's dead and walk off looking for another.

Well today, I was walking around our pond. One side of it has a lot of willow trees that have branches that grow out toward and over the pond and quite a few very low to the surface and some that grow out then down into the water and then back up to the surface. This side (and the other side) are both kinda deep drop-offs, about 3 feet +/-. If she stands on her hind legs, her chin is maybe 6 or 7 inches above the dirt edge.

Anyway, suddenly I see her slip real slow into the water and start to swim out toward the middle of the pond. Then, she veers over toward one of those branches that grows out, then under then back out of the water and as I'm watching her trying to figure out what the heck she's doing (her and my other dog love to jump onto the little schools of baby catfish trying to catch them) when suddenly it looks like she grabbed the limb of the tree and starts shaking it! That's when I get a closer look and she's snatched a damned cotton mouth off of the tree limb and has a hold of it about two-thirds of the way down its body!

She's in deeper than she can stand up in water and she's shaking the shit out of this snake, it looks like its teeth buried in the back of her neck and at the same time she's swimming back toward the shore where I'm at. Brutus in the meantime seems to have seen this before and jumped in the water but is just standing on his hind legs watching for the snake to get loose or something, but not interfering with her (he's about 70 pounds and long-legged and the fastest running dog I've ever owned and tough as a 16 penny nail!).

She finally gets her front paws back on the dirt and I guess the back half of the snake went dead and somehow she let it go and it must have had enough life left in it to swim under and away somewhere, which is when suddenly Brutus is now trying to find it, leading me to believe I was right about the way they fight the things.

So far it looks like all the snake got was a mouth full of hair. No swelling I can see on her and she was ready to look for another. If she is bit and I see any swelling, I'll give her a nasal decongestant and she'll be fine. I've never had any of our dogs even get sick from being bit by poisonous snakes (and *ALL* of my dogs have been bitten at some time during them being puppies). Most that happens is swelling in the area they're bit and three or four days later they're fine.

Man she's a badass though! I'm sure farging glad I've taught her to bark only at the snapping turtles! I keep having nightmares of one of my dogs running back to the house with half its nose gone or a damn snapper hanging onto their muzzle.
    Last edited by yochanon; 05-23-2017, 02:52 PM.
    Spread the word! Learn about Jury Nullification! Help take back our country from
    our corrupt: judicial system, police system, and government! http://www.fija.org

My website

FTP FTF ACAB TOSIAR

It's interesting to watch how the dogs tag teams themselves like that. I would imagine living near a pond having lots of snakes! What's the largest one you've seen and killed John?
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Urgh... gives me the willies. All we have out here is western diamondback rattlers (nasty) and this reminds me that I need to get the vaccine for both of my dogs. I generally don't mind non-venomous snakes but the venomous ones are only good when they're dead.
      Kristy
      Official HERD Member #00205

'09 Softail Deluxe - Mojo
      Stage 1, dyno, no major mods but it's shiny!

Comment

THAT... is a great pair of dogs! I hate snakes, poisonous or not.
        But I'll let the non-poisonous ones live. Cotton mouths and rattlers will get their heads separated from their torso if I'm anywhere near them. Shovel, pistol, shotgun, machete, lawnmower, hand grenade... I don't care.
        Official HERD Member #00231

"Blue skies hanging over my head, I got five hundred miles to ride" - RVZ

Comment

Glad to hear the dog came through ok - I'm not a real fan of snakes
          Bob

Official HERD Member #00230

Westchester County, NY
          '17 FLHXS Street Glide Special

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
            It's interesting to watch how the dogs tag teams themselves like that. I would imagine living near a pond having lots of snakes! What's the largest one you've seen and killed John?
            I've killed a six and a half foot copperhead once, many years ago, and that was just so I couold make a headband for my cowboy hat. That was pretty rare for me. Normally I don't kill snakes if I can help it. I'll even stop on the road if I see one sunning itself just to catch it and look at it and then let it go...poisonous or not. I just really dig snakes. Even as a little turd of 6 years old through 18 living in the desert in Tuscon and then Vegas, I'd catch the snakes (rattlers) and gila monsters and darn near anything else that couldn't outrun me, heh. I was always bringing some kind of critter home and getting yelled at. Spiders is a little different. I normally won't go out of my way to kill them, but if one gets too close it's dead.

Normally too I'll see a snake as fast as a dog or cat or bird, but this time I completely missed seeing the snake on that branch. I just thought it was so weird she was swimming out to it like she did. I figured maybe she thought she was going to get one of those little catfish or something. Blew my mind when she snatched it off the branch like she did. She saw it and it hadn't even moved. Friggin' wild!!

We do happen to have the biggest snapping turtle I've seen in many years in our pond. I caught it sunning itself out of the pond one day a few years ago. The shell lengthwise (from above the neck to above its tail) looked to be close to 20 inches and acrossways it was close to 15 inches. I'm betting it's probably 20 or 30 years old.
            Last edited by yochanon; 05-24-2017, 12:12 AM.
            Spread the word! Learn about Jury Nullification! Help take back our country from
            our corrupt: judicial system, police system, and government! http://www.fija.org

My website

FTP FTF ACAB TOSIAR

Comment

How big/deep is the pond? Does it ever go dry?
              2010 FLHX - Street Glide
              HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
                How big/deep is the pond? Does it ever go dry?
                It's about a hundred yards long by 30 or 40 yards wide I guess. Deepest part (pretty much the whole pond other than the end nearest the house that goes in at a long, easy slant) is about four and a half to five feet deep.

There's been a couple years when it's been down a good 18-20 inches. Most times though in the summer it goes down maybe 5 inches at most.

Here's some pics I took and some of where she went into the water and the branch she snatched the snake off of...

My website

FTP FTF ACAB TOSIAR

Comment

Thanks for the pictures Yoch! Gotta love the look of loyal dogs!
                  I definitely need to hit you up next time I go to Tennessee.

2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                  HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

You got some good damn dogs there Yoch,,I don't hate snakes, I used to but rescued an albino python with my ex, he was sick and we did get him back to healthy and found him a home, he was 9 plus feet. I love the gardner snakes, wish I had some around here, but I won't kill anything unless it's me or them.
                    Miles are on a road map, close to home is here
                    Very Proud member #99
                    Official Herd Hugger
                    Count your life by smiles, not tears:
                    Count your age by friends, not years.
                    Old bikers don't gray, they CHROME OUT!!

Comment

Never seen any dog here that persistent to catch snakes. She must be a very brave girl.

Comment

Working...
                      X