Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima

Today is the 70th Anniversary of this historic event.

On February 23, 1945, during the battle for Iwo Jima, U.S. Marines raised a flag atop Mount Suribachi.

By March 3, U.S. forces controlled all three airfields on the island, and on March 26 the last Japanese defenders on Iwo Jima were wiped out. Only 200 of the original 22,000 Japanese defenders were captured alive. More than 6,000 Americans died taking Iwo Jima, and some 17,000 were wounded.

In early 1945, U.S. military command sought to gain control of the island of Iwo Jima in advance of the projected aerial campaign against the Japanese home islands. Iwo Jima, a tiny volcanic island located in the Pacific about 700 miles southeast of Japan, was to be a base for fighter aircraft and an emergency-landing site for bombers. On February 19, 1945, after three days of heavy naval and aerial bombardment, the first wave of U.S. Marines stormed onto Iwo Jima's inhospitable shores.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...ed-on-iwo-jima
    Herd Member #87
    US Navy Veteran

Brother has our country ever changed since the passing of THAT generation. Thanks for the reminder. 7 decades later...so United then in the common cause of pure survival as a people. So divided today.
    Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
    Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
    See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

hell yea, I saw this story on the 6.00 news tonight. Too bad everyone involved have passed. The flag is displayed in Quantico Va
      1986 FXR 2015 Road Glide

Member #00014

Comment

Actually watched a movie about this the other night, one of my favorite John Wayne war movies, the Sands of Iwo Jima. I did not realize the anniversary was so close. Thanks for the reminder, it's important to remember important moments in history, so many people get busy and forget.
        Josh
        Herd Member #00042
        2017 Road Glide Ultra

R.I.P. Dad 1951-2015

Comment

:good

Originally posted by DoubleJ View Post
          Actually watched a movie about this the other night, one of my favorite John Wayne war movies, the Sands of Iwo Jima. I did not realize the anniversary was so close. Thanks for the reminder, it's important to remember important moments in history, so many people get busy and forget.
          Mark

Comment

Thanks for this post Jeff...and for being up on these historical dates...God Bless them for their sacrifices...
            Miles are on a road map, close to home is here
            Very Proud member #99
            Official Herd Hugger
            Count your life by smiles, not tears:
            Count your age by friends, not years.
            Old bikers don't gray, they CHROME OUT!!

Comment

Working...
            X