No announcement yet.

Grass clippings- hysteria?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, let me first say I was skeptical of the clippings controversy. You only know what you yourself experience, and I personally have had no problem with road-blown grass clippings. That's why I posted my question here, wherein the confines of Herd there exists some of the most experienced riders around.

I was somewhat surprised at the collective answers. And appreciate them. I find it is indeed a situational riding hazard.

~~

Now, I am aware of social media. Participate in it. Wallow, sometimes. But there is a phenomenon of misinformation to every thing, no matter the subject. That is what amazes me.

Just this lunch hour, I see a friend and classmate post on facebook. Now, this dude is 66 years old, and has never been on a motorcycle beyond a Honda trail 90 he had in high school.

He linked this dire warning:

STOP BLOWING YOUR GRASS ONTO THE
    ROAD WHEN YOU MOW! IT'S NOT JUST
    TRASHY AND LAZY, IT CAN KILL A BIKER
    The loose grass on the asphalt, is a lot like
    snow and ice, when you're on 2 wheels!

Click image for larger version  Name:	r2hj0bgagpzy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	667.7 KB ID:	1240660

I clicked on the link.

The Facebook post was from a official organization called Motorcycle Safety Awareness Association. Based in Mason City, Iowa. No website. Just a phone number. 1,400 followers.

This post was linked 13,000 times! Wow!

There were scads of comments under the mother-ship post, and as I suspected, there were quick and heated arguments on grass clippings, and in addition to for and against helmets, sportbikers lane splitting, hooliganism, banning motorcycles... the usual.

I kept clicking.

A hundred posts later, I found a dude who called Bull-shite. he provided another link to where the original photo was from:

A bicycle blog.

If you wanna, here's what the owner of the road-rash had to say:

I was at the tail end of my evening ride and sprinting on a strava segment I have been going after. Right at the end of it something happened, I am not entirely sure what. I either hit a rock in the road or my chain popped and jammed in the front derailleur or my top tube cracked (I think it was the top tube, it just doesn't make sense that it would fail out of the blue like that). All I felt was a huge jolt that caused me to lose my balance and lurch forward so I was leaning far over the handle bars. I think I grazed the curb running parallel to me and that sent me flying over the bars. Landed on the back of my head and left shoulder and slid along the pavement while screaming and thinking about how painful this is going to be.

This is only one of the posts I've seen on this. But Jeez.

13,000 links to this on Facebook alone. I wonder if this skinned-up young bicycle racer is aware of this. I'd think so.

I almost want to say, "Fake n----" but that's too unpopular now.

I'll just say that Joseph Goebbels, if he weren't turning on a hot spit right now, would be fascinated with social media.

Last edited by Big D; 09-25-2018, 12:39 PM.
    PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

Comment

Originally posted by elPrez View Post
      Saw this and thought of this thread...
      That's awesome. I'm stealing that for the locals.

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
        OK, let me first say I was skeptical of the clippings controversy. You only know what you yourself experience, and I personally have had no problem with road-blown grass clippings. That's why I posted my question here, wherein the confines of Herd there exists some of the most experienced riders around.

I was somewhat surprised at the collective answers. And appreciate them. I find it is indeed a situational riding hazard.

~~

Now, I am aware of social media. Participate in it. Wallow, sometimes. But there is a phenomenon of misinformation to every thing, no matter the subject. That is what amazes me.

Just this lunch hour, I see a friend and classmate post on facebook. Now, this dude is 66 years old, and has never been on a motorcycle beyond a Honda trail 90 he had in high school.

He linked this dire warning:

STOP BLOWING YOUR GRASS ONTO THE
        ROAD WHEN YOU MOW! IT'S NOT JUST
        TRASHY AND LAZY, IT CAN KILL A BIKER
        The loose grass on the asphalt, is a lot like
        snow and ice, when you're on 2 wheels!

Click image for larger version Name:	r2hj0bgagpzy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	667.7 KB ID:	1240660

I clicked on the link.

The Facebook post was from a official organization called Motorcycle Safety Awareness Association. Based in Mason City, Iowa. No website. Just a phone number. 1,400 followers.

This post was linked 13,000 times! Wow!

There were scads of comments under the mother-ship post, and as I suspected, there were quick and heated arguments on grass clippings, and in addition to for and against helmets, sportbikers lane splitting, hooliganism, banning motorcycles... the usual.

I kept clicking.

A hundred posts later, I found a dude who called Bull-shite. he provided another link to where the original photo was from:

A bicycle blog.

If you wanna, here's what the owner of the road-rash had to say:

I was at the tail end of my evening ride and sprinting on a strava segment I have been going after. Right at the end of it something happened, I am not entirely sure what. I either hit a rock in the road or my chain popped and jammed in the front derailleur or my top tube cracked (I think it was the top tube, it just doesn't make sense that it would fail out of the blue like that). All I felt was a huge jolt that caused me to lose my balance and lurch forward so I was leaning far over the handle bars. I think I grazed the curb running parallel to me and that sent me flying over the bars. Landed on the back of my head and left shoulder and slid along the pavement while screaming and thinking about how painful this is going to be.

This is only one of the posts I've seen on this. But Jeez.

13,000 links to this on Facebook alone. I wonder if this skinned-up young bicycle racer is aware of this. I'd think so.

I almost want to say, "Fake n----" but that's too unpopular now.

I'll just say that Joseph Goebbels, if he weren't turning on a hot spit right now, would be fascinated with social media.

A young guy whose dad lives across the road posted that very picture on FB. I'm sure it was directed at me. This kid is like 275 lbs and rides one of those little pissant miniature crotch rockets. So grass clippings isn't what he should be worried about, but rather that contraption collapsing at speed under his fat ass.

Comment

Originally posted by WideOpen View Post

A young guy whose dad lives across the road posted that very picture on FB. I'm sure it was directed at me. This kid is like 275 lbs and rides one of those little pissant miniature crotch rockets. So grass clippings isn't what he should be worried about, but rather that contraption collapsing at speed under his fat ass.
          I dunno, Mark...

Maybe he did the same due diligence as I did, and he's TRYING TO RAISE AWARENESS OF BICYCLE CHAIN BREAKAGE AND WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN...

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Originally posted by WideOpen View Post
            So, I went ahead and posted this on the local area Facebook page with 20,000+ members a couple of days ago. It got a lot of response, mostly positive. We mow over 600 feet of road frontage and it just isn't possible to keep from blowing some grass on the road. But the next log truck from the outfit across the creek blows it right back into our yard or the ditch across the road. Every time. So it isn't like I haven't thought about how I manage this environment that we've owned for 15 years. I think it's also clear that I'm not defending or endorsing mowing into the road, but rather suggesting that people mind their own business. Here, for your entertainment:

Ive stayed out of this argument all summer because I honestly dont have a strong opinion about it. I know there are people here with experience, and others who have zero real world knowledge but have embraced an internet meme to their bosom as if it were gospel writ. I'm talking of course about that which has set the internet ablaze in both local and national posts this year, blowing grass onto the road when you mow. Here in Southern Ohio it is apparently a scourge second only to the multiple daily opioid overdoses in fast food restrooms and parking lots.
            Personally, I've popped over hills in Kentucky to find nearly a foot of grass on the road. Yeah, it's irritating, and if you're overriding and get surprised, it can lead to some excitement. But road hazards are part of motorcycling and it never in my life occurred to me to stop and tell someone how to mow their yard. I mean, it's not like they're rolling round bales out there, and even if they were, it's still my responsibility to be ready. Which leads me to the point of this.
            After putting in a full day of work and dealing with some other issues, I was out with the weedeater while my wife was mowing. She blew a bunch of grass onto the road. I see some movement out of the corner of my eye and when I look up, a hipster on an unbadged medium sized motorcycle is pulling to a stop. What he saw was a fat 62 year old wearing an Indian Motorcycles cap, old faded Easyriders tee shirt and obviously about to drown in his own ball sweat. I nodded my head. I knew what was coming. "you can get fined for that you know, and it's really slick". Yes I told him, I've been riding for 20 years. "Well then you should know" he replied. I'm not the one mowing I countered. "But your wife is" he flung back. I end the conversation with a nod and Thanks, and he roared off, unsafely I might add, obviously pissed.

What I wanted to say was "Thanks for your unsolicited life coaching. I know grass on the road can be scary, but if it's really that big a deal, you should probably just take your hipster ass back home, park your bike and get in your Prius and head to the nearest gastro-pub and knock back a few IPAs while regaling your hipster buddies with stories of how you were nearly killed." But I kept it civil, Heaven only knows why.
            A couple of thoughts in conclusion:
            I don't tell my wife what to do , or not to do. And when she fails to return the favor I remind her of that.
            The next log truck that passed blew all the grass right back in our yard.
            There are people out here where I live that would have been on him and had him and the bike down before he knew what was coming. Confronting strangers, at their home, is just effing stupid.
            When you're out for presumably a pleasure ride and you stop to lecture me, while I'm obviously a motorcyclist based on my attire, but about to expire from the heat when I'd rather be out riding myself, you're a clueless asshole.

Not everything you see on Facebook is the civilization-ending crisis some folks would have you believe. I know some, many, will say I hope karma gives that guy (me) what he deserves. For all you know, it already has.
            Absolutely read this twice, you should write a blog, love it

Is there REALLY a law in Ohio that says this is illegal?

I know many state there is, but I will be damned if i can find one
            JC
            Is it time for Herdstock yet?!?!?
            Official HERD Member #00162

sigpic

Comment

It finally happened.

I was terrified. Rooted to the spot, considering the alternatives...

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_20181007_163715_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	507.9 KB ID:	1241030

On my beloved Cardinal Greenway... WET LEAVES! The entire bike path was strewn with WET LEAVES!!

I pulled up short. What should I do? Torn asunder with fear and indecision, I considered.

Call the Mayor?? (No. He's under indictment by the FBI for wrongdoing at the moment.)

Call my congressman? Or Senator? (Naw... as of last Saturday, 49% of elected officials have determined the world had come to an end.)

So... I thought back. At the age of five, my Dad took the training wheels off my bike and I officially learned how to ride. The date was the summer of 1958. (I have photo proof) Then I've been riding a two-wheeler for sixty years. Hmmm... how many times have I come to grief on these insidious harbingers of evil?

That would be zero.

I rode on. and cheated the Reaper yet again.

The end.
              PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Ear Tag no. 00030
                MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
                Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
                If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
                The missing link
                http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Once again, friends, I have rolled the dice, and cheated the Reaper!

Just tonight, in BROAD DAYLIGHT, I ran onto this insidious e-vil. And lived to report this to you, this fine evening. Sometimes, you just gotta walk on the wild side...

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20190514_194809_resized_1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	1246346

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

This, is why I think a constitutional amendment should be made, requiring all homeowners, business's, anyone with grass, rip it all out and replace with artificial turf. ( I see an investment opportunity there.....)

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by BaggerBum View Post
                      This, is why I think a constitutional amendment should be made, requiring all homeowners, business's, anyone with grass, rip it all out and replace with artificial turf. ( I see an investment opportunity there.....)

Let us turn eyes to California... I imagine Diane and Nancy are already on this...

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

California.....'nuf said.
                        Mark

Comment

Im reminded of the old MLB pitcher:
                          The reporter asked him if he preferred natural grass or artificial. He did he wasnt sure. Hed never smoked any artificial.
                          Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
                          Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
                          See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

Originally posted by LilJo View Post
                            The reporter asked him if he preferred natural grass or artificial. He did he wasnt sure. Hed never smoked any artificial.
                            Keep it organic....
                            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by LilJo View Post
                              I'm pretty sure that was an old Tug McGraw quote, Tim McGraw's old man.
                              A.K.A. Chad
                              Official Ear Tag #163
                              Official Member Paracord Posse
                              2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited
                              "I talk a lot but don't say much, and I know it..."
                              "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

Comment

Lying in bed this morning with the local news on, my ears perked up with a story where a bill is being introduced here amending our littering law to include grass clippings and debris blown on the road as part of the littering law.... https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/0...ct-bikers.html .
                                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                                  Once again, friends, I have rolled the dice, and cheated the Reaper!

Just tonight, in BROAD DAYLIGHT, I ran onto this insidious e-vil. And lived to report this to you, this fine evening. Sometimes, you just gotta walk on the wild side...

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20190514_194809_resized_1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	1246346

Ear Tag no. 00030
                                  MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
                                  Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
                                  If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
                                  The missing link
                                  http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Originally posted by hockeydawg12 View Post

I'm pretty sure that was an old Tug McGraw quote, Tim McGraw's old man.
                                    You got it!
                                    Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
                                    Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
                                    See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

Working...
                                    X