Really Sad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Sad

I've lived my entire life in New York, always wanting to get out of here but one thing or another has prevented my departure. For the past 10 or so years we've had our 5 year plan in place: Yes, in 5 years we'll sell the house and move. But now, we find ourselves locked down in our home, unable to go out for fear of contracting the deadly COVID-19 virus.

As of today, New York has once again reached for the sky taking first place in the USA for number of cases. Nearly 21,000 case -- 5700 more than yesterday with no slowdown in sight. The majority of them are in Long Island, where we call home. Hospitals are near their breaking point and inevitably there will be many dead -- some because they were unable to fight off the virus and some because the government failed them and they were unable to get medical care.

How is it that in 2020, in the United States of America, that an American dies because the health care system that he/she paid for their entire life had no capacity to care for them? How can the USA claim to be a first world country when our medical care in times of crisis is below that of a third world country?

I don't work in the medical field so previously I've never really thought much about it. We've always been told that we have the best of everything in this country. The best doctors, hospitals and care available anywhere in the world. We put our faith in our elected officials to oversee such things as healthcare and that's one of the main reasons we put up with the bureaucratic bs that comes along with government.

Yet, after researching the reality of our present situation I find that our leaders have completely failed us in every way. We only have to look back at previous catastrophes to see that the pattern is repeated over and over, with the government claiming each time that it was an unforeseen act of god to blame.

I came across some very disturbing information when searching to find out just how prepared NY is for this pandemic and here is what I found:

"Pandemic influenza is a foreseeable threat, and New York has a responsibility to plan now," said Commissioner of Health Dr. Howard Zucker. "

This statement was made in 2015 -- yes 5 years ago, the Commissioner of Health of the great state of New York spelled it out in plain English. "a foreseeable threat"!

And what did the government do in response to this statement? Did they go out and buy sufficient capacity to insure that New York can meet this foreseeable threat? No, they instead decided that it was more expeditious to ignore the threat and instead plan for how they would allow enough patients to die so that the rest could live!

Here's what they've got posted on the website:
    • The guidelines provide an evidence-based clinical framework that support the goal of saving the most lives in an influenza pandemic in which there are a limited number of available ventilators.
    • All patients in need of a ventilator are subject to one of the three clinical protocols, using objective, universally-applied clinical criteria to evaluate a patient's likelihood of survival. Patients who have the highest likelihood of survival with ventilator therapy receive priority. Factors such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, advanced age, perceived quality of life, ability to pay, role in the community, or other subjective criteria will never be part of the evaluation in determining who receives ventilator therapy.
    • To ensure that patients receive the best possible care in a pandemic, the guidelines call for a triage officer or triage committee to determine who receives or continues to receive ventilator therapy. To prevent a conflict of interest, these decision-makers are not the patients' attending physicians. The decision regarding whether to use a triage officer or committee is up to each hospital, given the different resources at each site.
    • The guidelines apply only to patients at hospitals and not to ventilator-dependent chronic care patients at long-term care facilities, such as nursing homes. However, if such a patient requires hospital care, the patient is then subject to the clinical protocol.
    • Patients not receiving ventilator therapy should receive alternative forms of medical intervention. Palliative care will be provided to all patients to manage patient discomfort.
    • During a pandemic the guidelines will be modified as new information is obtained. Data collection and analysis of the pandemic viral strain, as well as symptoms, disease course, treatments, and survival, will be taken into consideration, so that patients receive the best care possible.
    Read between the lines and realize what is being said! This is all really sad.

I want to follow this thread. I do have an opinion but will reserve my comments at this time. Indeed....It is a tragic and sad situation,
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
      I want to follow this thread. I do have an opinion but will reserve my comments at this time. Indeed....It is a tragic and sad situation,
      Yes it is. The entire situation leaves a person speechless.
      Ear Tag no. 00030
      MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
      Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
      If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
      The missing link
      http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

They have to let is break before letting the national guard come in and take over parking garages to set up temp hospitals. It is very very sad to say, but the state government has to fail its people, before the federal government takes over

Sending in the national guard is going to have a lot of negative consequences. It is NEVER a good thing when what can be viewed as an occupying force is in your city, even if it is for health care

Hopefully they will get up to speed, and the guard will not have to go in. Will be a sad state of affairs if the first city to cow is one of the richest. Makes not sense Henry, I agree with you 100%
        JC
        Is it time for Herdstock yet?!?!?
        Official HERD Member #00162

sigpic

Comment

Very sad and what makes it worse is the politics involved and not knowing what to believe from the media these days.
          HERD MEMBER #00027
          Riding for LT. Tim Campbell (LEO)
          In Memory of Rubberdown RIP HERD #00019
          In Memory of Betsy
          In Memory of Sabrina

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
            They have to let is break before letting the national guard come in and take over parking garages to set up temp hospitals. It is very very sad to say, but the state government has to fail its people, before the federal government takes over

Sending in the national guard is going to have a lot of negative consequences. It is NEVER a good thing when what can be viewed as an occupying force is in your city, even if it is for health care

Hopefully they will get up to speed, and the guard will not have to go in. Will be a sad state of affairs if the first city to cow is one of the richest. Makes not sense Henry, I agree with you 100%

We have been spared thus far but I bet more cases will be popping up all over the city.
            2010 FLHX - Street Glide
            HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

We have been spared thus far but I bet more cases will be popping up all over the city.
              Frank, it will come to your area and in a big city and it's 'burbs it will spread fast and deep. Make your plans now. Food and supplies in your home, enough for at least 30 days, 45 better. Get your key employees wired up and connected to work from home. If you can run production ahead of schedule, do so and get your customers to accept early delivery so you can count on that income. We are beginning the 2nd week of shutdown at our plant. We hope to get back to work by 4/6, but it does not look like that may happen, maybe not until the end of April here in PA. We are Defense Industrial Base rated, so we can operate, unlike many businesses that are forced to be closed. If a defense or medical account needs parts we ill bring in a crew to get it done and shipped. Any other customers are quote lead time, until we can get out of this mess and get back up and running. Take my advise, get planning and get ready. And do the Social Distancing thing, it is the only way to slow the spread.
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by BaggerBum View Post

Frank, it will come to your area and in a big city and it's 'burbs it will spread fast and deep. Make your plans now. Food and supplies in your home, enough for at least 30 days, 45 better. Get your key employees wired up and connected to work from home. If you can run production ahead of schedule, do so and get your customers to accept early delivery so you can count on that income. We are beginning the 2nd week of shutdown at our plant. We hope to get back to work by 4/6, but it does not look like that may happen, maybe not until the end of April here in PA. We are Defense Industrial Base rated, so we can operate, unlike many businesses that are forced to be closed. If a defense or medical account needs parts we ill bring in a crew to get it done and shipped. Any other customers are quote lead time, until we can get out of this mess and get back up and running. Take my advise, get planning and get ready. And do the Social Distancing thing, it is the only way to slow the spread.

I already have sales and billing personnel working from home. I do need frontline to support hospitals, utility and oil & gas/energy companies that are working. We are an extreme essential for those to operate. I work from home and have been lately. We have a rigid continuity plan in place and disinfect EVERYTHING twice per day. The frontline personnel is limited and for the most part they stay at home when not at the office. I shut down at 3:30 and let everyone go home early while still getting paid their 40 hours.

For me...I have enough food for a little over a month and even have some VIENNA sausage cans if it extends longer. I have fuel stashed in grade containers, a generator, an AC if things get bad and plenty of AMMO to contain the fort. I do have a misses staying with me which helps me consume the food quickly so I may have to go by the stores and pickup some more can goods.

You hunker down and stay healthy and safe!
                2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

I’m not getting into the Politics of it all, but Brothers and Sisters - this is coming to you sooner or later. It may be hitting us here in the Northeast hardest now but it seems it doesn’t take much to start the spread - so stock up, hunker down, social distance as hard as that is for some of us single peeps, and stay healthy.
                  Bob

Official HERD Member #00230

Old Saybrook, CT
                  '17 FLHXS Street Glide Special

Comment

Next three weeks in NY are going to look like armageddon.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKing View Post
                      Next three weeks in NY are going to look like armageddon.
                      Henry can you expand? How are things?

2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

News today say NY is losing, now 600+ a day and that's increasing every day. Not enough refrigerated trucks to keep the bodies. Number of infected in NE PA is jumping 25 - 30% per day. In our county, 80% is one city, mostly latino populated...few speak english and they are not getting the message to social distance. Efforts now to get them the message. Curfew there in effect tonight with National Guard coming to enforce.

Bob above has it right, stock up and hunker down for 30+ days, it's coming if not already in your part of the country. Life depends on it.
                        Mark

Comment

Frank,

You know my Son is a surgeon at Baylor and they're bracing for an onslaught of Covid-19. His hospital is getting 20+ ICU patients a day right now as they're a specialized hospital. But they're expecting 100+ a day in a few weeks.
                          Most of the operating rooms have each been converted into a mini ICU with 4 beds.

He checks in on us every day and has told us to not venture out for anything in the next three weeks. Houston is about three weeks behind NY.

Make sure you've got adequate supplies on hand so that you too can hunker down when the tidal wave hits.

This virus is no joke and is killing healthy people of all ages. When they run out of ventilators they'll start rationing by scoring patients. Too high of a score and you're just made comfortable (doped up) until you expire. NY is seeing a 20% survival rate for patients on ventilators. The best you can do is to not get the virus in the first place.

When local funeral homes and cemeteries are at 100% of capacity they'll resort to mass cremations if needed.

I don't expect to see my son or grandkids for at least another year. We already missed their first birthday and will likely miss their learning to walk and talk.

Facetime is no substitute for hugging them

Comment

Working...
                          X