Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what a day so far

what a great day!!!! NOT!!!!

helped pick my buddys road king up this morning as it was upside down on the side of the road after being totalled and rolled several times (thank God noone was hurt badly)
    then my wife and I just went for a ride to meet up with some friends, they went on to another place, adn we decided to come home (in the rain)
    got about halfway home and as I was coming out of a curve, my bike starts wobbeling BADLY. I immediately stop, we get off the bike and I take a looksee at what is up.

NICE!!! total bearing failure in the rear wheel, the wheel (drive pulley and all) has shifted to the left, grinding tire against fender, adn pulley against swingarm, and other side of wheel the bearing seal is hanging loosely on the axle between the rotor and the caliper/swingarm.

soooooo

10 am tomorrow morning, rush to HD dealership and get new races, seals, bearings, and grease and get this SOB back together before HERDstock.

Bad news, but on the bright side, better to happen 10 miles from home then halfway to Kentucky.

Just called Dave to confirm what I thought, and he tols me what I need to get, Thanks Dave:wine
    Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Glad everyone was OK Iron...that could have turned out a lot worse!! Sorry it had to happen though but you are right, better close to home then out on the road somewhere ;)
    Robert
    Ear Tag #110
    2012 Vivid Black Heritage
    USAF Retired, Desert Storm Vet
    When you are faced with a dispute, Give them the HERD Salute :)

Comment

Good to hear it worked out the way it did Josh. So I'm guessing sealed bearings were'nt out yet for that year?
      Herd member #85

sigpic

Comment

well the bearings were installled in the wheels when I bought them, cheap junk stuff.

good news is, inner spacer completely undamaged, now have bearing races out of the wheels, heading to parts store tomorrow morning for new parts and she'll be back on the road by Monday
        Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Wow Josh. Glad you kept the rubberdown. How was your wife feeling after that?

suprisingly not scared, she just said, "Damn, I'm glad you stopped"
          Proud Herd Member #00094
          2010 FXDC
          Keep it real.
          Rubberdown

Comment

Good luck getting it fixed! You have only 5 days left.
            2010 FLHX - Street Glide
            HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

getting it fixed won't be hard, couple hours tops to get bearings packed with grease, all parts installed in wheels and wheel back on bike
              Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Originally posted by Dimoncutr View Post
                Wow Josh. Glad you kept the rubberdown. How was your wife feeling after that?

suprisingly not scared, she just said, "Damn, I'm glad you stopped"
                How did you quote directly on my post? Weird!
                Proud Herd Member #00094
                2010 FXDC
                Keep it real.
                Rubberdown

Comment

I have no idea, I just noticed it did that. program cough/glitch??????

hit "reply with quote," typed in reply, and hit enter

hmmmm, makes me wunder tho
                  Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Hey Boss the server is trying to save space.:)
                    Proud Herd Member #00094
                    2010 FXDC
                    Keep it real.
                    Rubberdown

Comment

after running to parts store, I'll do a step by step of wheel bearing change for everyone. and beings I have never done it before, I hope I do it right, lol
                      Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Do the bearings need to be pressed in?
                        Proud Herd Member #00094
                        2010 FXDC
                        Keep it real.
                        Rubberdown

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                          after running to parts store, I'll do a step by step of wheel bearing change for everyone. and beings I have never done it before, I hope I do it right, lol
                          When I replace the front bearings on my bike a month or so ago, I had to adjust the preload. Just make sure you check it dry. You don't want the grease to mask if you need a adjustment. If you need help, give me a call. The procedure is still pretty fresh in my head.
                          Justin, HERD member 00016
                          97 Fatboy

Comment

well there are no preload shims in my wheels, aftermarket set-up with inner spacer at perfect length

doing a step by step tutorial in another thread right now
                            Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

ok, it will be a few minutes, the site won't accept any of my pictures anymore, so I am going to have to open a photophukkit account and try to do it that way, give me a little bit
                              Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Working...
                              X