New to HD, well almost.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to HD, well almost.

I haven't ridden a bike since college. Even then my 300 cc Yamaha could hardly be called a motorcycle. I want a Harley. Snob appeal, yup. My bike is better than your bike cuz I ride a HD, yup. Just because I want one, Yup. And that is almost all I know about HD.
    I want to be able to go on long road trips with groups of people I like. Meet new people and just have fun. I want to be comfortable, with the missus on the back. Want to carry stuff, so a bagger seems like what I'm looking for. I'm trying to decide if a Road Glide v a batwing style faring is good for me or not. I'm 6'-1" tall, 210# so not really tall, but not short either. I've determined i don't want a lower style seat. I think I can also use a seat back with raised handlebars. Helps my crappy back a lot. I'm learning that there are more differences between HD bikes than a Gatling gun has rounds. Makes making my decision on which bike to get and all the goodies I may want, a bit of a challenge.
    I want something I can take 1600 miles if I want and be comfortable (reasonably so). Don't want something that is going to kill my back and make me wish I hadn't purchased it within 30 days.
    My budget is also a consideration. I don't want to finance so I'm trying to stay in the $10,000-$11,000.00 range in a good used bike. All my blathering being said, I'm looking for help from people I consider Experts in the Field, those who ride HD's.
    Thanks in advance from a virgin newbie.

Rightway1208

Howdy.
    A roadglide in that price range is likely to have a lot of miles on it.
    Electraglides on that price range are everywhere.
    Before getting one of those, if I were you, I would get a Dyna or a softail and ride it around for a year and get use to riding again.
    then sell it and upgrade. Being an "amost" new rider on a really heavy bike can be asking for trouble
    Ride in Peace Wndchsr

Comment

I agree with Ironhead , and they are in easily in your price range
      1986 FXR 2015 Road Glide

Member #00014

Comment

Agreed with most of what ironhead stated. But if you're used to riding, then you'll likely adapt quickly to a bigger bike. But I suppose that depends on your skills and capabilities. All the fundamental skills, are what's most important. I'm not one to like to upgrade... it's costly and inevitable. But you're the only one that can really answer that. Some guys I know in your situation, adapted to a larger bike pretty easy, and others didn't. The ones that didn't, ended up not riding at all. If you've got any friends with a touring bike, see if they'll let you tool around on one to get a little better feel for it. It's going to feel large and clumsy at first, but just rely on your fundamentals. No one knows your capabilities as well as you, so after a while, you'll know if you want something like this or not.

As for the choice of bikes... I agree 100%. You'll get a lot more bike for the money with a batwing style. RoadGlides are fewer by far, and seem to hold their value pretty well because of it. You can get into a decent Electra Glide with a modest budget. And in essence, it's the same as any other batwing bike. You can always add a few things to make it your own, and parts interchangeability (windshields, back-rests, etc) is pretty damn good, across the entire touring line. Don't be afraid to buy an '08. They're going to have a lot of the good stuff, minus the wider swingarm. Which is what a lot of people are looking for, so they usually demand a little more cash. Personally, the '08 models are very good bikes. I've been riding one since then, and have no complaints at all. But you'll still get a really good braking system (Brembo), the 6-gallon tank was new in '08, and it 'll also have the 6-speed trans. The '08 bikes were the first for Throttle By Wire (TBW), so there's no throttle cables to maintain, and I personally think HD did a pretty good job here, and they're very reliable. The throttle response on the TBW system is very similar to the standard cable set-up. The 96" motor will be more than adequate, and the tensioner issues were addressed before '08. A lot of these bikes were equipped with cruise control and the security system. I personally don't care for the security system, but that's no big deal. With the kind of riding you're considering, you're going to want to look for something that already has a tour-pak. Shouldn't be hard to find, just remember... don't fall in love with the first one you look at. HD made lots of them everyday, and there's tons of them out there, just collecting dust. In fact, go look at lots of them. There's usually tons in every area on craigslist and facebook marketplace. The more you look at, the more variety you'll see. And you'll also see a wide spectrum of owners and their different ideas of "mint condition". Dealerships aren't horrible options, but you won't get the best deal there. Private sellers and good negotiating skills will, by far, produce the best deal for you. Expect to pay thousands more through a dealer. Just know what you want, and know what you're looking at. Most sellers don't really know their bikes as well as they'd like to think. Taking a buddy who knows the variety and mechanics of these bikes, will be a big advantage in your search. As with all bikes, finding one that was properly maintained, is critical.

Hope this helps! Ride safe and good luck!
        Official HERD Member #00231

"Blue skies hanging over my head, I got five hundred miles to ride" - RVZ

Comment

Thanks Wanna Ride, Happy Hours and Ironhead. I appreciate your input. I've done a little looking, but think the advise to keep looking is good. I have a friend who has owned about half a dozen HD's and he was helpful on my first outing.

Comment

Welcome to the HERD RW. Pull up a bale, sit a spell, have a few beers and enjoy the site.
            That is if You are a drinking type, other wise, it`ll have to be water from the trough.
            Ear Tag no. 00030
            MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
            Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
            If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
            The missing link
            http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Welcome aboard RW!

Getting back into riding sounds great! How long has it been since your college days and that 300cc? Probably the first, and most important thing to do is find your local M.S.S. Group and take the Rider Safety Course. Also a nice, easy way to get your motorcycle endorsement.

After that, and before you start planning rides with your wife on the back, Iíd recommend getting a used 800 or 900cc cruiser you can pick up cheaply and sell off after your first year back on 2 wheels. Get some miles and confidence under your belt before adding a passenger. There arenít any fender benders on bikes and youíve got to adapt to a whole world of distracted drivers now, as well as gaining your own ability to safely pilot a bike.

Good luck! Motorcycling is a terrific lifestyle and youíll make quite a few really good friends along the way. Just take some time to learn how to do it, and never get too overconfident or lackadaisical - cause this will bite you if you do.
              Bob

Official HERD Member #00230

Westchester County, NY
              '17 FLHXS Street Glide Special

Comment

Welcome to the pasture...Some good advice for you here. My thoughts, take the Rider Safety Course first. Some states offer them for free, check with your DMV. HD dealers offer it for around $300 and I am not sure you would get your license at the end of a HD course. Then go to a dealer and test ride some bikes, starting out with maybe a Road King then a Street Glide then an Ultra, lighest to heaviest. You are a big guy and handling these should be no problem. If you think the reach to the ground is a bit long have them put a Reach seat on it. And if you drop it, you can walk away from it. With that experience you can then go shop the used bikes with a better idea of what you want. Pay attention to everything in the rider safety course, it is all relevant, book work as well as ride training. Have fun, realize your limits and watch out for the cagers, you can never be too alert. Let us know how you make out.
                Mark

Comment

Thanks for the additional counsel guys. I'm paid and waiting on the weekend of June 8-10th. to take my Riding Safety Course. Looking forward to it. I've got a fairly long inseam, so reach isn't a problem. I've got a Jr High close to my house with a BIG parking lot for me to train in. I tend to go big or stay home, and i'm also a fairly cautious person, so I will be spending a LOT of time in that parking lot. I can also ride the neighborhood I live in to get some street time. Looking forward to it. And, yeah, Mr. Marty, I'll pull up a bale and have a couple of cold brews. LOL

Comment

Welcome. Should have a few choices in that range. My friend has a Switchback with windshield and hard bags that come off for city or stay on for longer trips, that's an option. Just because a HD has a lot of miles isn't a bad think if it's been maintained well. Your buddy can help you with this. A good touring model in the 2010-12 year range can be found for that and if you look further away, you may find one with low miles. I went up to WI to get mine, was a 2011 with really low miles.
                    x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
                    HERD member #66
                    HS I Survivor
                    HS II Survivor
                    HS III Survivor
                    HS IV,V,VI wanted to go.....

Comment

Welcome to the forum and whatever you decide to buy, make sure you post up a picture and share what you purchased. I agree with what the others said as well.
                      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Well... I stand corrected, and apologize. Somehow when I was reading through your post the first time, I completely misinterpreted the first two sentences. I thought you were ALREADY riding the Yamaha, currently. So... as the other guys stated, then yes, take the Rider's Safety Course first, before doing anything else. By the time you complete that, then you'll have a much better sense of what you feel comfortable with.

Sorry, I got my cart before my horse, in my earlier response!
                        Official HERD Member #00231

"Blue skies hanging over my head, I got five hundred miles to ride" - RVZ

Comment

Welcome, Rightway! A great thread here!

I can't advise you on a FLH type touring bike, having never owned one, but I'm on my second Dyna, and I can tell you that, for me, both of those bikes are comfortable for long distances. I re-read your first post and saw that you'll desire a lot of two-up riding.

I'm nothing if not quite budget-conscious (OK, I'm CHEAP) and I have two friends with 2000 Electraglide Standards and both these guys tour all the time. As Geespot said, those bikes are out there... not as laden with the latest technology, but certainly well within (and even below) your price range.

My old Superglide stood me well for a decade of commuting and cruising and a-trip-a-year, but I was a solo rider mostly. Geespot also mentioned the Dyna Switchback (something I would probably look for if I were in the market for a modest touring machine.) That's a 700# bike, VS a 900# Glide.

Anyway, welcome! Glad to have you here!
                          Last edited by Big D; 04-15-2018, 06:25 AM.
                          PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

Comment

Well guys, Angie is quietly nestled in the garage. She's a 2003 Electra Glide Ultra Classic 100 Anniversary model. She's in like new condition, 22.347 miles. Getting inspected in the morning, registered and titled in the afternoon in the Great Republic of Texas. Then off to the local Harley Dealer for a new seat, handle bar and LED daylight headlight group. I'm register and paid for the Safety Riders Course at Cowboy Harley Davidson on June 8-10. Bit off $8500 from the savings account to take her home. I was happy with the deal. Honestly I don't know if that was a good deal or not, but I was happy with it after looking at about 20 bikes over the last three weeks. (Feedback on the price is appreciated) I found newer bikes with the same price 2008's, but they didn't look nearly as clean and well taken care of. Two owner. Last guy rode her to work every Friday, 10 miles. He put 300 miles on her, the previous owner did the 22047. Photos to come when I get them off my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightway1208 View Post
                              Well guys, Angie is quietly nestled in the garage. She's a 2003 Electra Glide Ultra Classic 100 Anniversary model. She's in like new condition, 22.347 miles. Getting inspected in the morning, registered and titled in the afternoon in the Great Republic of Texas. Then off to the local Harley Dealer for a new seat, handle bar and LED daylight headlight group. I'm register and paid for the Safety Riders Course at Cowboy Harley Davidson on June 8-10. Bit off $8500 from the savings account to take her home. I was happy with the deal. Honestly I don't know if that was a good deal or not, but I was happy with it after looking at about 20 bikes over the last three weeks. (Feedback on the price is appreciated) I found newer bikes with the same price 2008's, but they didn't look nearly as clean and well taken care of. Two owner. Last guy rode her to work every Friday, 10 miles. He put 300 miles on her, the previous owner did the 22047. Photos to come when I get them off my phone.
                              You bought it in Beaumont, Texas? That's the only Cowboy Harley-Davidson dealer I know of.
                              2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                              HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Working...
                              X